Sponsored

Looking to buy 2016 ford mustang with SALVAGE title need your advice!!!

David789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
ford
***UPDATE***
Hey guys, The Second owner bought the car from the auction, he said there was damage in the front, He didn't give me much detailed, So I decide to run the VIN Check from this site: https://detailedvehiclehistory.com/, yes there's auction records and pictures available for this vehicle, please have a look at let me know, Thanks for you all concerned, I really appreciate it

Here is the report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/1FA6P8CF1G5334318

Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to purchase a 2016 Mustang GT, selling for $13,000 with 35000 Miles, this car has a salvage title, and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection. If you guys have any suggestions on what to check.
Looking forward to joining this family, thanks
1663131285642.png

1663131332739.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
First find out why it has a salvage title. If flood damage run away, or offer3K.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Could be a great deal or a nightmare waiting to happen... more info is needed like said above.

xtac1080

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2018 F650 / 2020 F550
Google the VIN. You'll get auction pics of the damage, and sometimes what it sold for. My guess is it was blasted up front given all "tasteful" effects.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yeah, why was it a salvage title?
Who rebuilt it and what was done? Is there documentation for the repair, preferably video documentation? Has it been inspected by the state with all associated documentation?
It could be a great deal. Or it could be the worst money pit ever.
There are some rebuilders who go above and beyond, check out Vehcor on YouTube. And there are others that are so shady you can't see them with a spotlight.
At the very least I'd have it inspected by an independent mechanic and a good body shop before buying.

OP
OP

David789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
ford

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I would run far away from that mess. You'll be chasing gremlins forever. If the winning bid was $10000 and it needs $16,000 worth of repairs, no way they fixed everything correctly for you to buy it for $13,000. No way i would trust that car

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
You can clearly see in those photos that the right rear was damaged as well...
Almost looks like it slid sideways into a big curb or sumthin.

Although I will say that it doenst look like the engine took a hit at all...

You can see a lot of the curtain airbags inside deployed... I believe It costs a lot of money to replace airbags.
That and replacing all those damaged suspension components in the front and back, and probably some drivetrain elements in the rear...

I'm not an expert at this kind of thing so I wouldn't go as far as to give you the thumbs up... I know the idea of getting a GT in this market for 13k is tempting; but you can't put a price on getting into your car before a long drive with confidence that itl get you to point B without any issues.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
None of those numbers make the least bit of sense. The car sold for $11+k, there are more than $4k in parts needed. Hell the airbags and headlight alone are probably more than $3k used.
Reread my first post and answer the rebuild questions. If you can't answer every one of them in the affirmative then run away. Better yet, save yourself the time of investigating and just run now!
The only real thing that car offers is heartache!

Sponsored

dpam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach1
Should be a hard no. Who knows what was done .. flooding, frame damage ... run away.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
If you guys would look at the report you'd see that it's not a flood car. It got crashed.

As others noted, no way it got repaired, parts and labor plus the cost to buy it, for $13,000. They had to cut some corners somewhere.

Run, don't walk, away. Go find a nice car with no questions on it.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The price is right for a salvage title. Most salvage title resales are asking in the 20s.

If it's repaired properly, it's a deal.

Just remember you can't get loan on it in most cases.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Salvage title cars can ne a great value if that kind of thing doesn't bother you.
The thing isn't even if they repaired it with used parts from fleabay the headlights run about $350 each, the airbags (and I saw at least 3) run about $250 each and wheels (2 needed) are around $300 each. So not taking into account the obvious aftermarket body parts, body work, paint, suspension, resetting the seat belts/ SRS module and lord knows what else the 2nd owner has at least
$11,300 for the car and $1700 for the parts I listed which equals the $13k asking price.
There's no way this car was fixed properly, no way at all...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
The price is right for a salvage title. Most salvage title resales are asking in the 20s.

If it's repaired properly, it's a deal.

Just remember you can't get loan on it in most cases.
Hello; On top of maybe not getting a loan there can be issues with insurance. I think you can get liability Ok but may not be able to get collision.
I also spoke to my County Clerk a few years ago and there are some vehicles they may not give road tags to and may not title. Odd thing was i was making a deal for a 1965 mustang out of Georgia without a title.
The not having a title was not an issue. Tennessee will accept a bill of sale for some older cars out of Georgia. The main reason the deal feel thru was the vin plate was messed up and hard to read. There were also some other issues so I walked away.

I have a friend who has bought several salvage cars. They have generally run OK but all have had nagging issues from day one.

The last thing is just what you as a prospective buyer are going thru. Should you decide to sell that salvage title will be an issue. Even if you get it fixed up real nice that will always be an issue. May be best to think of it as a keep forever car, that is basically what my friend does. He winds up spending more to keep his salvage cars on the road than one with a clean title. It is like he will not take a hit on the price when selling one so keeps spending money to keep them going.

But good luck with whatever you do
Sponsored