Sponsored

Looking for feedback on 2018+ A10 canned whipple tune

budsell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Wanting to get people's thoughts that have had experience with the canned whipple tune on 2018+ autos. I am looking into a stage 2 setup and would be running whipple's canned tune for quite awhile. Any problems with drivability? I've read about some cruise control problems, and possibly some part throttle response issues.

Any feedback before a person jumps in?
Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Wanting to get people's thoughts that have had experience with the canned whipple tune on 2018+ autos. I am looking into a stage 2 setup and would be running whipple's canned tune for quite awhile. Any problems with drivability? I've read about some cruise control problems, and possibly some part throttle response issues.

Whipple is having a much harder time with the 2018s than they had with the 2015-2017s.

Everything you read so far is true.

Might be worth buying the tuner kit and getting custom tuning from Lund or PBD

And you get to choose better port injectors right from the start.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Whipple released a big update last week and it is much improved at part throttle. The light throttle shifting characteristics are much more stock-like, which in my opinion were fantastic. The 1500 rpm light load surge is cleaned up. Iā€™m still feeling it out day by day, but so far itā€™s the best one yet. It also reportedly has improved torque below 4000 rpm but thatā€™s hard for me to tell.

The cruise control was fixed with this update as well.

My car is an ā€˜18 A10 PP1. In muggy 95+ deg heat on the stock 275 pilot sports it will burn the tires rolling on it in 3rd gear every time regardless of surface. It hooks in 4th most of the time.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150

We played a big role in the R&D of their 10R80 cal and since then their tune has only evolved and improved and will continue to do so. They're always working to make things better for the end user. I mean they've got Carb certification already for a 50 state legal tune and their cals are done by a very talented OEM Ford calibrator. That speaks volumes for what type of product they have to offer.

Here's a video we did on our car with an earlier version of the cal. The car drove great. Up and downshifted like factory and rocketed us to a 10.39@136mph at the dragstip. Yup 10.39 on the Whipple 50 state legal cal. I personally don't recall ever using cruise control when we ran their cal but if there was ever an issue and they are made aware of it you can bet it will be fixed. That's just how they do things.

If you have any other questions regarding the kit or their calibration give me a shout and I'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks, Jared

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Do they contact customers about the availability of the ā€œupdatedā€ tune ?
At least I was never contacted and only found out on this forum .
I requested the update but have been waiting now for 48 hours (thatā€™s not too long by aftermarket standards but I expected it would be quicker since they have the update and no logs to review )
The driveability of the tune I have certainly leaves a lot to be desired at least at part throttle at least compared tos stock/NA.
There may be also be an issue with not being able to return the car to stock (at least with the hand held ) .
The website says ā€œstock tune files ā€œ are available on request but another member was told they donā€™t have a ā€œcache of the stock files ā€œ
The stock file is required at least by PBD to write an aftermarket tune so not sure how this is going to work out since I ordered one

My ford tech did say he should be able to flash the car back to stock by erasing the ECU first . In which the case you may not be able to go back to the whippple tune .

Last edited:

Sponsored

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
The driveability of the tune I have certainly leaves a lot
I'd like to know about this as well. I have a 2015 Stage 2 and how would I know when a new update is out?

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The driveability of the tune I have certainly leaves a lot
Currently you have to bug them or read about another member getting an update on the forum

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Sorry my phone froze in the middle of the last post .
I requested the update but have been waiting now for 48 hours (thatā€™s not too long by aftermarket standards but I expected it would be quicker since they have the update and no logs to review )
The driveability of the tune I have certainly leaves a lot to be desired at least at part throttle at least compared tos stock/NA.
There may be also be an issue with not being able to return the car to stock (at least with the hand held ) .
The website says ā€œstock tune files ā€œ are available on request but another member was told they donā€™t have a ā€œcache of the stock files ā€œ
The stock file is required at least by PBD to write an aftermarket tune so not sure how this is going to work out since I ordered one

My ford tech did say he should be able to flash the car back to stock by erasing the ECU first . In which the case you may not be able to go back to the whippple tune .

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what Whipple told me "They make you a stock file" and I takes a bit.

With some guys I know of waiting several weeks.

OP
OP

budsell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
From what Whipple told me "They make you a stock file" and I takes a bit.

With some guys I know of waiting several weeks.
So before loading the whipple tune, find somebody with an hptuners setup and pull the stock file. Then store that guy away for when it comes time for a custom tune?

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So before loading the whipple tune, find somebody with an hptuners setup and pull the stock file. Then store that guy away for when it comes time for a custom tune?
Thatā€™s a very good idea...

mattdue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Here is my experience. The first tune was garbage. The car drove like crap and shifted worse. Low throttle input was ridiculous. It felt like when applying light throttle like going through a parking lot or accelerating from a light the car jumped hard even with the lightest throttle. My traction control is permanently disabled for some reason. No one knows why. First tune my car made 64x and like 48x on a dyno jet and ran 11.6 @ 127. Sounds slow for a whippled 18 huh.

I had to bother them to get the next tune. Jeff at whipple was supposed to review my data logs but after weeks did not and sent me a "revised " tune. This time it cleaned up the throttle response and slow speed shifting. Car sees 0 knock and i haven't been back to the dyno but the car has still only ran 10.9@ 134 which is closer to what shop cars run in trap speed but still not impressed. My only complaint with the drive ability this time is when cruising in 10th at highway speeds the slightest throttle touch will unlock the converter then re-locking the converter making it feel like it surges on the highway. im talking like letting out of the gas slightly then reapplying it to keep a constant speed.

If i had to do over again i would order the tuner kit and get and tune from a reputable tuner. When the season is over Im getting the car tuned on E 85 or at the very min a more aggressive tune from Mustang mods.

OP
OP

budsell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Appreciate all the honest feedback. I'd assumed that on a new trans it'd take awhile to get things dialed in, which is why I was waiting awhile before jumping in. The car drives really nice stock so hard to want to screw that up, but some more power would be nice.

Whipple18GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
New update is much better, Iā€™m currently trying to remove my IAT sensor on the back of the blower so I can finish up my PBD tune

95 marty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have a stage 11 kit having alot of problems still after the third tune. Car still surges going through a parking lot at low speeds. Transmission goes into limp mode and I have to let go of the gas to let the tranny engage before it will go. Also went to a dyno day payed 85 to get my car ran and car only made 622 rear wheel horsepower. Pretty sad if you ask me. The stage 11 kit is supposed to make around 745. I know 91, I know every dyno is different but 125 rear wheel horsepower is sad. Made an appointment to get my car tuned and hopefully I can at least get 700.
Sponsored