Sponsored

Looking for an oil filter socket for the FL500S. Thx.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I don't know - I've changed oil many times and don't remember which was i accessed the filter (vaguely remember from a side - don't remember because it wasn't a big deal to do it) but every single time I used cap-like filter wrench and 3/8" inch ratchet with shortish extension.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hope I can use the darn filter socket, or bought it for nothing. Ha ha. And since I'll use Rhino ramps to change the oil, removing a wheel is out of the question for me. Hope I don't make a mess inside the belly pan, or on the floor. I'll try this time removing the filter like I always do, just loosening it, letting it drain, then remove it.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hope I can use the darn filter socket, or bought it for nothing. Ha ha. And since I'll use Rhino ramps to change the oil, removing a wheel is out of the question for me. Hope I don't make a mess inside the belly pan, or on the floor. I'll try this time removing the filter like I always do, just loosening it, letting it drain, then remove it.
You are probably aware of it but if you just pull the drain plug, you will create a mess as the hole diameter is large and there is lots of oil coming out at once. Be ready for that or hold the plug partially undone in the the drain until the oil is almost all gone.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's super easy to make no mess. Just be aware of two things. #1: 10 quarts of oil is a lot of mass, as soon as you pull the drain plug out the oil comes out pretty fast and arcs fairly far forward. It's not anything insane, but it's something to be ready for. #2: Loosen the oil filter until a stream of oil starts running out of the lip (make sure your drain pan is under the filter) and just leave it like that for a few minutes. Once it slows to a dribble, its much easier to remove the oil filter without oil going everywhere. I also use a plastic ziplock bag, put it around the filter (so that the filter is inside the bag), then twist it the rest of the way off. Any excess oil will end up in the bag. I don't even think I spilled a drop using this method.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Be ready for that or hold the plug partially undone in the the drain until the oil is almost all gone.
Yep, I'll have to do that, since my container is for 10 qts, and don't want to buy a larger one. So will drain a few quarts first, put them on a recycling jug, then drain the rest. Since the container will get heavy, I'm thinking of using a moldable funnel I have, and just hold that thing on top of the mouth of the container to drain the remaining 7 qts or so, to be able to remove the drain plug. I'll try to figure out the best method once there :D. If not successful, then try something different the second time.

I also use a plastic ziplock bag, put it around the filter (so that the filter is inside the bag)
I also use one, but at the end. First, I remove the filter once drained (with gloves, obviously), and put it upside down to drain completely. Then clean it, put it on the box where new filter came in, and finally into a ziplock bag. Unless the filter turns during transit to recycle it, ziplock bag is clean to use for the next one. Rather have no mess. Ha ha.

Sponsored

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Poke a hole in the bottom of the filter after you get it off, you get a lot more oil out of it before you trash it.

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Just use your hand, the factory filter wasn't that tight at all. If you want to have a wrench on hand, any claw type will work. The factory filter is the same dimensions as the FL500s but just shorter for some reason.

You have the drop down access door, right?
This. Just did my fist oil change. No tools needed for the filter.

As a side note due to the angled location, you can only partially pre-fill the new filter before it gets messy.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just did my fist oil change. No tools needed for the filter.
That's not good. How many miles on the oil change? I'm at 1,043 now, but want to wait for the Steeda black braces, to only put the car on ramps once. I'm positively sure the factory puts the oil filters at the same torque as always (meaning tight as hell), so something must be loosening them IMO. But we can only tell for sure until the next oil change. After hand-tightening oil filters, I always need a wrench after 5K miles. If I hear negative info, might have to check it well before 5K, since after the first (1K-mile) oil change, that's the interval I use.

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Can't say I've heard of oil filters being "tight as hell". They shouldn't be.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They're always like that from the factory. I've bought literally dozens of new cars over the decades, and the factory filter has ALWAYS been tight as hell. And my last 2018 F-150 Platinum wasn't an exception, and they use the same filter. We'll see on this car.

Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Got it. Well, you definitely have way more experience than I do with this. My car had 1200 miles at the time of the oil change and I was able to unscrew the filter by hand.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Got it. Well, you definitely have way more experience than I do with this. My car had 1200 miles at the time of the oil change and I was able to unscrew the filter by hand.
I did the change at 2850 miles and had the same experience. It still felt perfectly fine as far as how much effort I needed to use to unscrew it, but the arm cannon got it done.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Some folks reported the factory filter was leaking, which is absolutely unheard of. But haven't heard of subsequent oil changes. Some were theorizing some kind of resonance was getting them loose. It wouldn't be impossible, but unlikely IMO. Again, the only way to find out is after changing the oil once, and seeing how tight it is at the next oil change. If I don't hear positive news on that, I'd check it well before the next OCI, just to make sure it's still as tight as it should. Imagine losing oil (or the filter) on a trip? Not nice.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Some folks reported the factory filter was leaking, which is absolutely unheard of. But haven't heard of subsequent oil changes. Some were theorizing some kind of resonance was getting them loose. It wouldn't be impossible, but unlikely IMO. Again, the only way to find out is after changing the oil once, and seeing how tight it is at the next oil change. If I don't hear positive news on that, I'd check it well before the next OCI, just to make sure it's still as tight as it should. Imagine losing oil (or the filter) on a trip? Not nice.
Hmm, I noticed that oil filters for the 5.2 engines require a high torque value because they loosen because of the vibrations from the flat plane crankshaft. I never heard of a factory filter coming off by hand. Usually, I've destroyed them in taking them off.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Usually, I've destroyed them in taking them off.
Exactly. I have a plier-type wrench that always need to use on factory oil filters, mangling them, until they finally give in. Curious how loose mine is when I change it in a few days. This engine shouldn't loosen filters like the Voo-Doo; it's pretty smooth, like all modern cross-plane DOHC V8s should be, except on cold starts, but that's perfectly normal.
Sponsored