Sponsored

Looking for a 2018 GT (opinions)

5-0 in a 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium M6
How’s it going everyone. As the title suggests I’m currently in the market for a 2018 GT, and I need some opinions. I’ve been looking around my area and in others for a good priced manual trans GT. I’ve found two premiums with the only options being the 401A package for around 35k. I have also seen a few base models with the 301A for around the same.

Now the appeal of the premium with the 401A is really nice considering all of the dealers in my area order GTs with the 10 speed with every option besides the 401A, and I really want the digital dash.I would like to have the active exhaust because I have heard it does sound better than the regular exhaust but it’s not a must have.

The question I guess would be would it be worth picking up one of the premiums I found or look for a base model with more options. I would look for only premiums but most of them are 45k and up for moderately optioned cars.
Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
I like a wouldn't buy a GT w/o the performance pack. You can add the digital Dash for around 1200 in parts in a '18, with a little modding. I put one in my '17 and love it. Only thing i don't like about my base car is a small Radio display screen.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
Where did you get the digital dash from? Did you do the work yourself?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If looking at a manual i would be hesitant to buy a 2018 as there are a lot of issues with shift forks. you could pick up a really nice 17 maybe even a roush car if you want a manual

Sponsored

OP
OP

5-0 in a 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If looking at a manual i would be hesitant to buy a 2018 as there are a lot of issues with shift forks. you could pick up a really nice 17 maybe even a roush car if you want a manual
I had a 15 GTPP and it was a awesome car, but I don’t really want to jump into something I’ve already had. I’ve been watching videos and reading what I can about ford using aluminum shift forks. Hopefully ford will get everything sorted out with the mt82d.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I was originally only in the market for a premium with the 401a and A10 because it was within the price I wanted to pay however I happened to get lucky and the dealer that was trying to find me the one I wanted had one in performance package but without 401a. When I got in it I instantly fell in love and knew I would regret going from my 16 PP to a non PP just for the brakes and interior additions. I made the mistake of driving it and fell more in love as the car just felt way peppier than the A10 I had test drove months prior. So at minimal if you don't get one with the PP, get one that has the 3.55 gears because it makes a difference and makes it a much more fun car on stop and go. Anyways, the car was stickered at 48k. There was no way I wanted to pay that much. A dealers objective is to make money, they do not want you to leave without buying a car.

Work them down, if they want your business they will. With the current rebates and haggling I got them down from 48k MSRP to $38,500 before TTL. That was only a few more thousand over the price I was getting quoted on the 401a A10 Premiums without PP. I did not go in expecting to leave with everything I got but it happened. Check Carguru or a site that lets you know how long the car has been on the lot. The ones that have been sitting longer are the ones they will sell cheaper. Mine was on their lot since sometime in December. I picked it up on May 5th. A dealer doesn't want a car on their lot more than 30 days. So the only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the digital dash however I haven't felt like it has kept me from loving my car. Plus it can be swapped in fairly easy but it's still pricey right now to buy the parts. Anyways, good luck and regardless you will love the car.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
As far as I can tell, one guy who beats the shit out of his manual had a problem.
Where are you seeing "a lot of issues"?:shrug:

OP
OP

5-0 in a 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was originally only in the market for a premium with the 401a and A10 because it was within the price I wanted to pay however I happened to get lucky and the dealer that was trying to find me the one I wanted had one in performance package but without 401a. When I got in it I instantly fell in love and knew I would regret going from my 16 PP to a non PP just for the brakes and interior additions. I made the mistake of driving it and fell more in love as the car just felt way peppier than the A10 I had test drove months prior. So at minimal if you don't get one with the PP, get one that has the 3.55 gears because it makes a difference and makes it a much more fun car on stop and go. Anyways, the car was stickered at 48k. There was no way I wanted to pay that much. A dealers objective is to make money, they do not want you to leave without buying a car.

Work them down, if they want your business they will. With the current rebates and haggling I got them down from 48k MSRP to $38,500 before TTL. That was only a few more thousand over the price I was getting quoted on the 401a A10 Premiums without PP. I did not go in expecting to leave with everything I got but it happened. Check Carguru or a site that lets you know how long the car has been on the lot. The ones that have been sitting longer are the ones they will sell cheaper. Mine was on their lot since sometime in December. I picked it up on May 5th. A dealer doesn't want a car on their lot more than 30 days. So the only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the digital dash however I haven't felt like it has kept me from loving my car. Plus it can be swapped in fairly easy but it's still pricey right now to buy the parts. Anyways, good luck and regardless you will love the car.
The problem I face is I’m in the military and all the dealers in the area and even out of state prey on that fact. Where I’m at in fl I can go to Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, or Louisiana they are all a short drive. I’ve had to walk numerous times because the dealers around here won’t budge on prices whatsoever because they know eventually someone will pay what they want. Which has in turn caused me to look at dealers 300+ miles away and that’s where I found the 2 premiums with the 401A pack for 35k (thanks to car gurus). I also looked more closely at the options and they do both have the 3.55 gears. I guess I can do without the PP seeing as it will be my daily.I did find one dealer who has a Roush for sale rs2 I guess for 37k so we shall see. I appreciate your response and thank you. What ever I get I’m sure I’ll be happy.

OP
OP

5-0 in a 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I can tell, one guy who beats the shit out of his manual had a problem.
There are a few videos on YouTube about it. One guy was beating the shit out of it doing 0-60 runs and he lost his 3&4 gear. A few made videos saying they were just normally shifting and they lost 3&4.. in one of those videos a ford rep contacted one of the owners asking what he was doing because they are getting multiple reports of the trans breaking.

Be that as it may, I have yet to see complete wide spread failure of the manual or posts about it on here. :shrug:

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Same guy on here and posting videos. (ls-eater)

OP
OP

5-0 in a 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
It's an overused word on this forum. M6G "A lot" = .00000000000001% of sold vehicles.

actionjackson83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white
When there is a 2 month back order on the parts,or even an entire transmission replacement, that seems like "A lot" to me... stay far away from the manual until a 2019 I'd say.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
I just picked up a new '18 401A shadow black M6 the other night and the trans shifts smooth as butter without ANY issues, grinding or noises what-so-ever.

I originally went to pick up a 300 base model but left with the 401A digital dash blah, blah, blah. I didn't care about the active exhaust as I change that out anyways or the magnaride suspension either as I am putting my airlift kit on it.

Good luck with your decision. Take your time and get the best deal.
IMG_2868.jpg
Sponsored