Sponsored

Looking at buying a GT350. I need your input guys.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I have a 2018 Mustang GT with the A10 which I put a Procharger on. I love the car but do miss driving a stick now and then just to experience the true "hand on" experience.

I am looking at a GT350 used and know only what I have read here and there. I have had several manual transmission cars over the years, most recent being a 2019 Bullitt which I put a Whipple on. I hated the Bullitt gearing but overall really loved the car, especially the MagnaRide and the active exhaust.

Here are my questions:

- What are the major differences between the years: 2015 up to 2020?
- What are the trouble areas?
- For those that have driven the MT-82 and the GT350s Tremec, what are the differences specifically that you liked?
- Best options?
- Any other info you might volunteer?

I have no issue with used cars. I am thinking I might only drive it 3-5K miles per year, but have never actually owned a "Shelby". Also looking at a Mach I A10 to replace my '18 but would own both cars. Auto and Shelby.

Thank You!
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My thoughts:

If you can get a '15, grab it.

16 was a solid year for the track pack and the R. Tech packs had the cooler issue.

17 had the stigma of oil consumption problems (but I owned 2 17s with no issue)

18 was the last year of the base Rs. Grab one if you can. otherwise, no major differences.

19 Had the new gt500 block along with the Gen 2 voodoo, cup 2 tires (even though they were not the same cup 2 as the R), the swing and gurney flap, etc.

20 has all of the above plus Rs have the 500 steering knuckle and a different ride calibration.

Bottom line:
I would buy whatever R I could for the best $$ in the best condition/miles. First choice is the 15, then the 20, then the 19, you get the picture. I would take a base R over a 20 or 19 if you live in an area where AC isn't a concern. As long as the car isnt a DD or in need of AC, the base R is the best way to go in terms of a raw R experience.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
My thoughts:

If you can get a '15, grab it.

16 was a solid year for the track pack and the R. Tech packs had the cooler issue.

17 had the stigma of oil consumption problems (but I owned 2 17s with no issue)

18 was the last year of the base Rs. Grab one if you can. otherwise, no major differences.

19 Had the new gt500 block along with the Gen 2 voodoo, cup 2 tires (even though they were not the same cup 2 as the R), the swing and gurney flap, etc.

20 has all of the above plus Rs have the 500 steering knuckle and a different ride calibration.

Bottom line:
I would buy whatever R I could for the best $$ in the best condition/miles. First choice is the 15, then the 20, then the 19, you get the picture. I would take a base R over a 20 or 19 if you live in an area where AC isn't a concern. As long as the car isnt a DD or in need of AC, the base R is the best way to go in terms of a raw R experience.
I really appreciate your input. What makes the '15 so desirable? Also, I am looking at driving in the summer so A/C is important and I will likely only go to the tract occasionally. How does the Shelby compare to a similar GT? Thanks agaion.

Reactions: Les

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I really appreciate your input. What makes the '15 so desirable? Also, I am looking at driving in the summer so A/C is important and I will likely only go to the tract occasionally. How does the Shelby compare to a similar GT? Thanks agaion.
It was the first year and was VERY limited. If you ever got one, it would be the holy grail.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
It was the first year and was VERY limited. If you ever got one, it would be the holy grail.
I found a few and they are expensive. I really am happy with a GT350 as I have never owned a Shelby before. I like a stick and why not a Shelby. But, I admit, I am looking at something not too expensive as I am getting the Mach I so I need to keep my wife happy that I am not completely out of my mind! BTW your red looks excellent, What color?

Sponsored

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I owned a 16 GT. Did absolutely everything outside of putting a supercharger on it. I'm very comfortable with stick but went the auto route to mix it up (never again). I've spent a lot of time driving a 19 GT (6 Spd) as well and the 18+ was an improvement in every way.

I now own a 17 350 and the difference is night and day

Important points

Gotta let it warm up before you redline it.
Be quick with your shifts. The car does not like sluggish movements between your clutch and gearing
The Tremec knocks the MT82 out of the ball park.
IMO Recaros are much nicer and much more comfortable
Plan to keep spare oil on hand. And be mindful about checking your levels.
If you're anal about your car, be mindful of fitment issues (bumper, trunk etc).

Honestly nothing compares. I've driven old Fox's and 60s Camaros to some modern Vettes. The 350 leaves a smile on my face and I always look for an excuse to drive it.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Best of luck finding what you want.
BTW...Tomsters profile picture is a GT500. I think it’s Rapid Red tinted clear coat which is absolutely breathtaking in person, especially on a sunny day.
Question...When you say “not too expensive”, we don’t know what that means because that statement is different for everyone. What’s your price range/limit? You may find a seller here.
Personally I’m always looking even if I’m not in the market. Why? I never know when I’ll be in the market ;-)

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I've got a lot to add to this... get ready cuz here it goes:

What Tomster said...!!!!!

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Price in the 40s. I am trying to get information about the GT 350 not discuss price. If I get a good idea from you guys what the pro/cons are then I can make an educated decision.

Forget the comment about my price on an earlier post please.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I also agree with looking at the years in the order @Tomster laid out. I had a not so good experience with my 17 and the Ford dealer, but i still keep an eye on them...would love to have an R with a whipple, if it were trackable.

As far as the trannies go, i had a FBO/E85 16GTPP and to me it had more oomph off the line. From what i understand, the gearing changed in the MT82 in 17 or 18?? Anyway, you can almost do the speed limit on a highway in 1st gear in the 350. To me, that’s not as much fun on the street, but once on track...it all makes sense. Lastly on the trannies, the MGW shifter made both way more enjoyable IMO.

Coming from 2 blown S550s, you are probably going to be underwhelmed with the low end power of this car. Just something to consider when you think about where you are driving it most of the time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
So the gearing in the Tremec is similar to the '18 up GTs? That was my biggest complaint with the Bullitt.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Would not get hung up on R vs non-R as nothing in your original post suggests that would be a deciding issue re: track, collectability, etc and a whole host of pros/cons on other threads.. Would agree avoid '16 Tech even though many have not overheated but a "flaw" corrected in subsequent years. If you don't mind a little closer attention to and adding a quart of oil now and then wouldn't worry about '17/18 if price is right. Quite a few have over 30-40K miles and holding up well even with higher oil consumption and still have powertrain warranty just in case. Otherwise '19 probably the preferable year but probably have to spring for tires as I believe they had cup 2s wearing out faster and even they have had some consumption and blown engine problems. Finally personally wouldn't avoid one with a replaced engine but that is up to you.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
So the gearing in the Tremec is similar to the '18 up GTs? That was my biggest complaint with the Bullitt.
I’m not 100% on that as i only have experience with the 16GT, but i know i had to be shifting out of 1st a lot sooner than i did in my 350...both had 3.73 rear end

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
I've found my way back to the Mustang forums as I'm thinking about trading my 2016 Hellcat Challenger for a GT350. I enjoy my A8 Hellcat but I've got the urge to shift some gears again and it came down to the Shelby or a ZL1. I test drove the Shelby for the first time today but it was raining a little bit so I took it easy of course. I haven't driven the ZL1 yet but I did drive an SS a few years ago which was nice. I've been lurking the forums and doing my research and I'm glad I ran across this post.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The difference between an MT-82 and a Tremec is night and day in favor of the Tremec and the shifter in the GT350, the quality of the trans is a cut above. I've only owned a '19, so I've driven my first season(4,300 miles) in a 2019 car. I still love it as much as the day I drove it off the lot.

If you are buying used and hunting, a Ford Certified used car has an awesome warranty. Most cars will still have time on the five year, 60K drive train warranty. As far as engine horror stories, they are few and far between, but there are a few people who have posted their drama everywhere on the internet they can possibly complain and made things sound worse than they really are.

I'm not a guy who buys whatever is the latest thing to impress the cars and coffee crowd or owns any brand that gets me attention, I'm a Mustang and Shelby fan. I've owned a dozen manual trans cars over the years and this one is my favorite, it sounds amazing and runs like a champ. Other than some minor paint and fit quality gripes, I'm pleased and planning on keeping this for many years.
Sponsored