Look what I discovered in my 22! 🤨

james72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible M6
For those thinking about removing it and gaining back 10hp. I am not convinced removing it would result in 10HP. I remember ford saying they also adjusted the factory calibration. Just because you give something more air flow doesn't mean the computer will respond always.
Bingo....simply taking this or that out and putting in one of myriad of cold air intakes isn't going to get you back anything unless you tune it. The Mustang is a computer with a big engine on 4 wheels. For now I'm just leaving it alone until I can get a CAI with tune. I just got mine so I have a laundry list of things I want to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2011 California Special GT
That's right you did. Can you post your slips again? What tires and pressures of the runs as well
MICKEY THOMPSON ET Street SS. @ 25lbs.

Screenshot_20220813-000521_WWT Slips.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Maybe its new EPA Standards made in the last couple of years causing them to have to make these types of modifications?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The pcm forces the throttle wide open and reads airflow with the maf. Everything else in the tune follows. If you get more flow, it will make more power even on the stock tune. This is not true for the ecoboost series of engines.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
21 cover going on, I cut one of the top tabs with a blade, was moving it back and forth slowly to loosen it up and it suddenly came off, a nice clean break. I have a 22 GT.

9477E4FA-F32C-4879-B290-3942A6D74DDC.jpeg
Last night I installed a 2020 Mustang GT complete air inlet on my 22 GT. The only part of my current OEM air intake that is original to my car is the air cleaner base, with an OEM style drop in K+N air filter. I used a razor blade and elbow grease to remove the 2020 carbon trap from the lid. Tonight I took my car for a spirited 20 mile drive after work, and am reporting that the car felt great, with no lights on the dash or anything weird going on.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Last night I installed a 2020 Mustang GT complete air inlet on my 22 GT. The only part of my current OEM air intake that is original to my car is the air cleaner base, with an OEM style drop in K+N air filter. I used a razor blade and elbow grease to remove the 2020 carbon trap from the lid. Tonight I took my car for a spirited 20 mile drive after work, and am reporting that the car felt great, with no lights on the dash or anything weird going on.
So not only did you lose the more restrictive 22 carbon trap but you got rid of even the less restrictive 20 trap with no problems. Thank you for keeping us updated.

BTW where did you find the 20 complete air inlet?

This plus the K&N sounds like a real good warranty-preserving solution.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
So not only did you lose the more restrictive 22 carbon trap but you got rid of even the less restrictive 20 trap with no problems. Thank you for keeping us updated.

BTW where did you find the 20 complete air inlet?

This plus the K&N sounds like a real good warranty-preserving solution.
i had a Roush blower put on a 2020 GT and keep a lot of the parts that were removed. The parts only had 600 miles when removed.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
MICKEY THOMPSON ET Street SS. @ 25lbs.

Screenshot_20220813-000521_WWT Slips.jpg

Looks like the are mopping up behind your tires after pulling up to the line. You may have had water kick up into your wheel wells that dripped back down. Did you drive through the box or back into it?

Definitely some room on that 60ft time for improvement. Sounds like they spun a bit of the line. Keep messing with your tire pressure and launch rpm. You'll be running 11.6xs soon enough with an E85 tune you have

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Did you drive through the box or back into it?
I've been to hundreds of drag strips and I can count on one hand the number of tracks where you can drive around the box and back in.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I see the official "MUSTANG GT CALIBRATION W/COLD AIR INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY" kit for previous years, which I know most people in the past have thought was over priced and not much gain but is there something similar available for the 2022 GT? If so, you would think that just because of the restrictive parts that are being replaced and theoretically the tune that it might be worth it?

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I see the official "MUSTANG GT CALIBRATION W/COLD AIR INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY" kit for previous years, which I know most people in the past have thought was over priced and not much gain but is there something similar available for the 2022 GT? If so, you would think that just because of the restrictive parts that are being replaced and theoretically the tune that it might be worth it?
There's a separate thread just on this tune where there's more detail but the short version is Ford Performance said they were working on it but now it seems they are claiming there will be no support for the 22.

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Well, gentlemen.... decided to take the car to work this morning. 62 degrees... DA was amazing. Running the car without the insert and cut out carbon filter housing. Mined you, I'm tuned on E85.

Car would sputter on initial tip-in on throttle. At one particular stop light the car stalled.

That being said... removing everything DOES indeed free up ALOT on air movement and I'm asking my tuner as to what I need to log to get the computer to be able to compensate for the volume of air now being able to move.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Did you leave the air straighter in?

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
Yes, sir. Ran a 12.50 @ 114 stock. Incredibly bad wheel hop.

Did a subframe lockout kit and E85 tune. Ram 12.00 @ 117.5. I'm disappointed actually.
Interesting. Were those ran at WWTR? Funny thing I live in O'Fallon too but IL.

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)