Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
one thing for sure is that a lot of people in this country live in an alternate reality… that is a fact… of course we could debate who they are ….
nope, we only have one reality.
what we do have are liars, fools, and people who value truth even if its uncomfortable.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
With the HP being down for 22. I've discovered one change that can hinder power.

I've heard a change in Cats and carbon filter in the intake. I've discovered said filter.

20220812_160901.jpg
Would somebody please explain to me the orientation of this photo? I cannot make it compute. I can understand newer technology if it is laid out in logical order but I’m very literal and I can’t get out to my own garage to compare it to my car. Is this the air box lid turned upside down? How could this be hidden? If that’s all it is why couldn’t you just get an 18-20 lid?

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2011 California Special GT
Its under the lid, yes.
Would somebody please explain to me the orientation of this photo? I cannot make it compute. I can understand newer technology if it is laid out in logical order but I’m very literal and I can’t get out to my own garage to compare it to my car. Is this the air box lid turned upside down? How could this be hidden? If that’s all it is why couldn’t you just get an 18-20 lid?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
LA is "smoggy" because of it's topography, not because of what we humans are doing.

That's just ignorant hubris.
It has been well understood since the 50's (maybe even earlier) that LA's topography concentrates the problem, but pollution is not spontaneously caused by the topography itself.

What I don't understand is why this has to be an either-or situation. Why can't we have cars that are both high performance and have a low environmental impact? Our cars today perform much, much better than a 1965 Mustang and pollute much, much less. What's bad about that?

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It has been well understood since the 50's (maybe even earlier) that LA's topography concentrates the problem, but pollution is not spontaneously caused by the topography itself.
The Indians had a name for the LA basin that roughly translates to "Valley of the smoke"

LA will have smog problems even if there were no cars.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's not man-made pollution. It's 100% the environment/topography. If 0 humans live in the LA basin, the atmosphere would still be the same.

The Indians had a name for the LA basin that roughly translates to "Valley of the smoke"

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

What I don't understand is why this has to be an either-or situation. Why can't we have cars that are both high performance and have a low environmental impact? Our cars today perform much, much better than a 1965 Mustang and pollute much, much less. What's bad about that?
You’re 100% right

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I can understand carbon in a cabin air filter but what does carbon do for air headed into the engine?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I can understand carbon in a cabin air filter but what does carbon do for air headed into the engine?
My guess is the engineers figured out the Coyote likes sweet smelling air.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
LA is "smoggy" because of it's topography, not because of what we humans are doing.

That's just ignorant hubris.
The air quality in the LA area has improved dramatically since emission controls were phased in during the '70s. Dramatically. In the early 1980s, LA had air quality violations (of the standard that was in effect then) almost half the days of the year. Now, you only see that level of ozone typically 10-30 days a year. Sure, there are natural sources as well , but the idea that it's 100% natural is ludicrous.

More data since 1980 (leftmost column).

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/air-quality/historical-air-quality-data/historic-ozone-air-quality-trends

onehourozoneexceedencedays.jpg

Edit: to make this on topic, if it was my car I'd still pry out that dumb carbon filter.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The air quality in the LA area has improved dramatically since emission controls were phased in during the '70s. Dramatically. In the early 1980s, LA had air quality violations (of the standard that was in effect then) almost half the days of the year. Now, you only see that level of ozone typically 10-30 days a year. Sure, there are natural sources as well , but the idea that it's 100% natural is ludicrous.

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/air-quality/historical-air-quality-data/historic-ozone-air-quality-trends

Edit: to make this on topic, if it was my car I'd still pry out that dumb carbon filter.
You’re a brain washed liar..😁

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

Maybe drill out the rivets and leave the lid alone?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s what my ‘21 looks like. Definitely a larger carbon filter on the ‘22.

75D62DD0-C955-4523-98D9-DE0CBABCCECE.jpeg

3FD91B9F-0959-4880-8F0E-79B06D422B9A.jpeg

D4FD65D2-B939-47F3-B10A-12D8259F6445.jpeg
What the.... the S550 isn't fish tank for crying out loud - remove that filter media crap ASAP!

1660604179270.jpeg

1660604257649.jpeg

😁

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Salt Lake Valley is the same way. The problem is that yes, even though the smog/inversions aren't caused by man made sources, they also don't allow particulates and gases emitted from industry and vehicles to escape. So you are absolutely breathing less pollution than you would if the cars and trucks weren't so clean now.
Sponsored