Look what I discovered in my 22! 🤨

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
It's about evap coming out of the air filter when the engine isn't running. The hydrocarbons are caught in the carbon filter. Then once the engine is started again, the airflow pulls the HC back into combustion to burn them off.
ahh that makes sense.

Surprised it took this long for someone to post the filter. lol
Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
It's about evap coming out of the air filter when the engine isn't running. The hydrocarbons are caught in the carbon filter. Then once the engine is started again, the airflow pulls the HC back into combustion to burn them off.
Good grief. I'm sure that emission control is going to save the planet. Must be a CA thing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't miss the 50's and 60's when cars spewed blue clouds of buring oil. Or when someone with a high lift cam could have an after-burner firing off unspent fuel at the tail pipe. But this is eco minutiae.

If I could click my heels and go back to when all you needed was a dwell meter and timing light.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
But this is eco minutiae.
Minutia times millions of cars equals something the manufacturers can use to get points against the increasingly ridiculous requirements of the secular religion that our elected morons stuff into continuing resolution and reconciliation bills.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Reminds me of 1971.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Good grief. I'm sure that emission control is going to save the planet. Must be a CA thing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't miss the 50's and 60's when cars spewed blue clouds of buring oil. Or when someone with a high lift cam could have an after-burner firing off unspent fuel at the tail pipe. But this is eco minutiae.

If I could click my heels and go back to when all you needed was a dwell meter and timing light.
I would bet the carbon cost of manufacturing and delivering these filters to the factory is higher than the small amount of emissions reduction per unit that the filter accomplishes, lol.

One of those things that sounds great on paper until you realize the extra complexity has now surpassed the impact of the initial problem you tried to solve.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Minutia times millions of cars equals something the manufacturers can use to get points against the increasingly ridiculous requirements of the secular religion that our elected morons stuff into continuing resolution and reconciliation bills.

This, I'm sorry but really this is too much. How much hydrocarbons can get out of a shut down engine? Usually fuel injectors over the years develop a little "glow" due to the oily parts of petrol that does not evaporate, how do you catch this? And, oh, when you refuel I'm sure there is a tiny bit of evaporation coming out of the nozzle after you use it.
Who have an accident and spills out oil due to broken pan? That is for sure antisocial and must be punished exemplarily, possibly in a public settings.

This folly is going everywhere. I guess this restriction is accounted in the injection strategy, if you remove that, it will be corrected by lambda sensors (oxygen sensors in catalysts, I don't know how you call them in the States) or I will obtain a lean condition? I'm sure that thing will affect fuel economy, albeit slightly.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Remove and plunk in a hi-flow; there's your 10HP back....
Seriously, why wouldn’t this work? It seems almost too easy to just pop in a K&N and you got your missing 10 ponies back. Finally K&N’s claim of a power increase might actually be true.

Or since something that seems too good to be true usually is, are you gonna pop a CEL or start throwing codes?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

…sure.. and points and carburetors with the end result being cars that were running badly, sucked gas like crazy, were so slow that 0 to 60 in 7 was considered fast and engines that were all done by less than 100k miles…..

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The real morons are not the elected ones but rather the people, meaning us, that elect them…

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Boy, you hit that nail on the head! How true, ridiculous.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd

i think we found a very reasonable compromise a long time ago and now they're just doing stupid shit to screw with us. the EPA serves no function other than to ruin lives at this point.

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Where did you hear that. As an ASE tech there should be no evap vapors flowing through the intake tube when the vehicle is off. The purge valve should stay closed when off and at idle. The vent valve near the charcoal canister does open when the vehicle is off to allow for pressure changes. It has a filter built into it to trap vapor so that your garage doesn't smell like gas.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
i think we found a very reasonable compromise a long time ago and now they're just doing stupid shit to screw with us. the EPA serves no function other than to ruin lives at this point.
What was the “reasonable compromise “ ?
Sponsored