Longtime GT driver test drives GT 350

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Would be very ignorant to argue than a 350 is not a better car than a GT, and it better be for the extra money
I only track my car a base 17 GTPP with a ford performance pack 2, ford performance track suspension, race seat and harness, squared nt01 285/35/19 and race pads
All together, including buying the car new, I have $35K in it
I paid cash for it and that is an amount of money that I’m comfortable with loosing if something where to happen on the track
If I was comfortable with $60 or $70K, I would have a 350
Whatever ways you look at it a V8 S550 Mustang/350 is really a bargain for what you get
Since I have a lot of track experience ( 30 years of racing a bunch of different cars, including trans-am), I have no problem catching up to most 350/r and I always get a good laugh when the drivers ask me how I can do that with a lowly Mustang.... driver do make a difference and speed is a byproduct of skills
Love the 350 in battleship grey
Me too! I think Mopar calls that color Battleship grey, Ford called it Leadfoot
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats! Great Color Choice!

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I had the same experience. Never owned a Mustang, and a few years ago test drove a 18 GT with PP. I like it, but was not in love with it (I owned a 16 C7 Z51 w/magnetic drive). Dealer had a 17 GT350 but wanted $15K markup/no test drive and it was too expensive for my taste. Test drove a Focus RS and bought that instead because it was more fun and engaging.

Fast forward. I sold the Focus RS and was looking to get back into a car with a NA V8. It was either going to be a Camaro, Corvette, or Mustang for me. Had to have a manual and had to have a V8 :)

Test drove PP1 and PP2 and a Grand Sport or Z06 and both an SS 1LE, ZL1, and ZLE. ZLE was just way too brutal for New England roads so crossed that one off. I liked the SS1LE a lot and the ZL1 as a drivers car but I just don't love the Gen 6 Camaro body or interior. So I really focused on Mustang vs C7. This was late last year and GT350 prices had really started falling and I was able to test drive one.

Game over. It had more of the driver engagement of the Corvette and Camaro but yet I loved the styling and interior much better. But what really sold me was the manual gearbox and the Vodoo. I think the Gen6 SS1LE/ZL1 and GT350 have some of the best manual gearboxes of any of the cars I have owned or driven. Much better than the C7. But that high revving V8 and the FPC sound just won me over and still does everytime I drive the car. As things move towards lower displacement engines with hybird, or pure EV, I think the GT350 will be a very special car for me for a long time to come.
Sponsored