Longtime GT driver test drives GT 350

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
It's not a thing about being clear, it is exactly how I said in my last post which was responding to your previous post... "If you don't want one", which you are saying that you don't then cool—it is not for everyone and you cannot drive it in every situation like a GT. But just like I mentioned before where you mentioned a few parts difference between the two cars, that is not the case. Have a great Saturday.
My bad, I wasn’t clear about the reason for mentioning the GT350 wheels and sway bars. My point was that they have improved the handling of my PP1 to the point where the difference between my car and a stock GT350 isn’t big enough to me to make the GT350 a worthwhile upgrade. I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that adding these parts turned the GT into a GT350.

A wise man once said “It is the responsibility of the sender to ensure that the receiver gets the correct message.”
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
If you’re not tracking the GT350, I don’t see any more routine maintenance needed than a GT. I change my oil every 5 to 6000 miles, or once a year and clean the air filter. There may be a few more items that need to be done long-term, but what car doesn’t? As far as it not being a good daily driver, I would wager if there was a pole taken, the majority of the GT350 owners would disagree, including me.
agreed but I would say that if the poll was broken down in to GT350 and GT350R owners who daily drive, I think we would see a stark difference in which variant is more likely to be daily driven.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
agreed but I would say that if the poll was broken down in to GT350 and GT350R owners who daily drive, I think we would see a stark difference in which variant is more likely to be daily driven.
And of course, who wants they front splitter banging every other mile on GT350R. I wouldn't even make out off my driveway with R without using ramps. I like to drive the car, not to stare at it.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
And of course, who wants they front splitter banging every other mile on GT350R. I wouldn't even make out off my driveway with R without using ramps. I like to drive the car, not to stare at it.
haha yah. I need ramps to get in and out of my driveway and my driveway isn’t even that steep. Doesn’t bang every mile, but I plan my routes.

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Had a '16 GT PP now a '19 350. Loved the GT, great comfort, tech and power. 350 has all the same but the drivetrain is unreal, well worth the upgrade. I likely won't track it and it is still worth the $$.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
.... and like Randy Pobst said, don't drive a GT350R if you want to buy a GT350. You will cough up the money ...

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you said that, but I thought about the same thing when I upgraded to the R. I have not touched the splitter anywhere (yet) and I drive in Boston roads...

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Funny you said that, but I thought about the same thing when I upgraded to the R. I have not touched the splitter anywhere (yet) and I drive in Boston roads...
Shhh don’t jinx yourself. Lol :fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
JM7225

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
I definitely understand the cost difference for a GT 350 and a GT as I've had a few GTs in my lifetime. I plan on tracking my GT 350 once a year, maybe twice, but after test driving it I don't think daily driving it will be any problem at all. With magneride I actually felt the ride quality was very good, and I personally like the feel of the stiffer clutch of the 350.

Also, the Tremec is so so so very good that going through the gears even on the city streets puts a smile on your face. Going through the gears on a GT sometimes makes me sad because it's not predictable, it's sloppy, and the clutch engagement points seem artificial.

If the GTs could come with a Tremec, I'd probably have already bought another GT and would have moved on with my life, but alas, they don't!

robtee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Supercharged
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely understand the cost difference for a GT 350 and a GT as I've had a few GTs in my lifetime. I plan on tracking my GT 350 once a year, maybe twice, but after test driving it I don't think daily driving it will be any problem at all. With magneride I actually felt the ride quality was very good, and I personally like the feel of the stiffer clutch of the 350.

Also, the Tremec is so so so very good that going through the gears even on the city streets puts a smile on your face. Going through the gears on a GT sometimes makes me sad because it's not predictable, it's sloppy, and the clutch engagement points seem artificial.

If the GTs could come with a Tremec, I'd probably have already bought another GT and would have moved on with my life, but alas, they don't!
Honestly the MT82 in the s550s aren't bad. You could spring for a better shifter but honestly to get rid of some of the slop you could jsut get a better shifter bracket.
Compare the OEM and this boomba piece that I had on my old ecoboost. That will make things significantly better!

04.13.2020-12.56.png

Sponsored

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I couldn't agree more. I've had a dozen Mustangs, including the original one, shortly after it came out in 1964, with several GTs since. I swore off after my last one (1992 GT convertible with stick), mostly because I just wanted better quality. Two Corvettes and two Porsches later, I walked into the local dealer's showroom while waiting for service on my F150, and there sat a slightly used 2018 GT350. I rejected it because of the jumpy clutch takeup, then came back a week later with an idea: removing the clutch pedal spring. He was willing to try it and give me a second test drive. That fixed the takeup problem, and made the car perfect. It now sits in my driveway. I think about it when I'm not even near it, and I'm 74 years old. Smitten.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A few thoughts from someone who has owned both a GT and now a GT350
The GT's MT-82 can be MUCH improved with the addition of the steeda base bushing bracket or the Blowfish bracket... takes all that marshmallow sloppiness away. Also swap out the transmission oil for the BG Sycchro II trans oil.
it's like night and day.
I started with a GT coupe and for me it felt heavy in the front and there were some other issues that I just was not enjoying driving the car. If you watch Jay Leno's Garage video on his 2015 GT350R he says the same thing about the GT 5.0; the model he actually really loved driving was the 4cyl eco boost!
I decided to try a GT convertible which I was able to learn from my mod mistakes on the original GT and dial it in pretty good. I enjoyed the car a lot more but something was still missing in the overall experience and it's really a top down sunny climate kind of car. I didn't have the luxury in WI to drive it top down all the time.
From the get go in 2016 I was drawn to the GT350, but was unwilling to pay the ridiculous ADM's and was hoping a GT would suffice. I realized that none of these cars are practical. The gas mileage is not great and you can only use a small bit of it's capability on the street. So for me it came down to what I wanted in from the overall ownership and driving experience.
I finally purchased a GT350 this January and so far it's been everything I thought it would be and more.... for me.
All of the Mustangs, or any muscle/sports car, are incredible vehicles and we should feel fortunate to be able to own any of them.

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2017 Tundra Pro
Another opinion..... LOL
I looked closely at the 350, and can afford to own the title. To learn more, stumbled across a picture (sema) of the underside. Man there is a lot going on under there.

Soon realize the 350 is not a practical street car. Lots of good track DNA.
Now that is not a knock, it is more about the routine maintenance required, and I do.

Opted for the GT PP2, and I can tell you this. It is one damn nice car with a shit load of fun power & performance.

Ordered in Nov, delivered last week of last month. Last weekend @ 200 miles I put it up and added the X pipe. The other mode sitting in the den the Roush L1 cold air package .

That will be as far as I go, knocking at the 500 HP door is just fine by be.

Mustang has come such long way, it is an incredible machine today.

Thank you Ford Motor company.
Agree, a lot of fun and great value....but that Voodoo is intoxicating. Worth the money.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't agree more. I've had a dozen Mustangs, including the original one, shortly after it came out in 1964, with several GTs since. I swore off after my last one (1992 GT convertible with stick), mostly because I just wanted better quality. Two Corvettes and two Porsches later, I walked into the local dealer's showroom while waiting for service on my F150, and there sat a slightly used 2018 GT350. I rejected it because of the jumpy clutch takeup, then came back a week later with an idea: removing the clutch pedal spring. He was willing to try it and give me a second test drive. That fixed the takeup problem, and made the car perfect. It now sits in my driveway. I think about it when I'm not even near it, and I'm 74 years old. Smitten.
Get the Steeda replacement Clutch Spring for it...

OP
OP
JM7225

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
A few thoughts from someone who has owned both a GT and now a GT350
The GT's MT-82 can be MUCH improved with the addition of the steeda base bushing bracket or the Blowfish bracket... takes all that marshmallow sloppiness away. Also swap out the transmission oil for the BG Sycchro II trans oil.
it's like night and day.
I started with a GT coupe and for me it felt heavy in the front and there were some other issues that I just was not enjoying driving the car. If you watch Jay Leno's Garage video on his 2015 GT350R he says the same thing about the GT 5.0; the model he actually really loved driving was the 4cyl eco boost!
I decided to try a GT convertible which I was able to learn from my mod mistakes on the original GT and dial it in pretty good. I enjoyed the car a lot more but something was still missing in the overall experience and it's really a top down sunny climate kind of car. I didn't have the luxury in WI to drive it top down all the time.
From the get go in 2016 I was drawn to the GT350, but was unwilling to pay the ridiculous ADM's and was hoping a GT would suffice. I realized that none of these cars are practical. The gas mileage is not great and you can only use a small bit of it's capability on the street. So for me it came down to what I wanted in from the overall ownership and driving experience.
I finally purchased a GT350 this January and so far it's been everything I thought it would be and more.... for me.
All of the Mustangs, or any muscle/sports car, are incredible vehicles and we should feel fortunate to be able to own any of them.
I 100% agree with the fact that Ecoboost and GT mustangs are great cars as well. Not disputing that. I've owned 3 GTs in the past for a reason!

After driving the 350 though, I've just realized that if I'm lucky enough to be able to afford one it only makes sense to do it. Sure you can do some modifications to the MT82 to make them better, but I'd like the best transmission / clutch combo right from the factory. Sure you can make more power by modding a GT, but the fact that the Voodoo comes with such an intoxicating sound and already has 500+ horsepower, it's a no-brainer to me (again if you can afford to swing it).
Sponsored