Sponsored

Longtime GT driver test drives GT 350

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a Mustang GT since 2013 when I bought a 2011 Mustang. I have since owned 2 different 2015 GTs, but haven't owned one since selling my last GT the day I bought my wife's engagement ring a couple of years ago.

I've recently been looking to get back into a GT so I was pricing some out and found one I wanted to test drive. I test drove the 2018 GT PP and it was a familiar feeling. Some slop in the driveline and a lot of slop in the transmissions / shifting. The clutch was difficult to get the engagement point spot on. It was enjoyable, yet underwhelming. Maybe I'm just too used to them? Idk.

When I got back from the test drive I noticed there was a used GT 350 on the lot, and asked the salesman if I would be allowed to drive it. He said they aren't supposed to, but he didn't have anything better to do so we got in and took it for a spin.

I have to say, if I didn't know I was sitting in a Mustang I would never have guessed it was one. It was absolutely INCREDIBLE the difference in the two cars. The GT 350 is simply head and shoulders better in the categories of engine, transmission, clutch, driveline, and steering. I only got the car up to 5k during the test drive and even that felt like it was screaming. My world is now flipped upside down knowing what I've been missing out on. Honestly if those things don't matter to you then you probably aren't on this forum.

Anyways, thought I'd just give my $0.02 on my reaction to the differences after finally driving a GT 350. I'm currently looking to buy one lol.
I had an '18 PP1 with a stage 2 Whipple, and almost all the Steeda suspension goodies on it, and it was a blast until it got totaled. When I was looking to replace it I figured I would just buy the same thing and do the same things to it. Made the mistake of driving a GT350, and now I own one. Not even sure if I'm going to add boost to it at this point as it is just so much better than my GT.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JM7225

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
I had an '18 PP1 with a stage 2 Whipple, and almost all the Steeda suspension goodies on it, and it was a blast until it got totaled. When I was looking to replace it I figured I would just buy the same thing and do the same things to it. Made the mistake of driving a GT350, and now I own one. Not even sure if I'm going to add boost to it at this point as it is just so much better than my GT.
I couldn't agree more.

I had SO much fun in my GTs that I never considered the extra 15k was worth a GT 350 (plus at the time I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to). Now that I drove one....the games over. I'm buying on.

WetDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It would be interesting to know how many GT350 owners have never driven a Mustang GT (PP or not)...
I bought a 2019 GT350 having never owned or driven a mustang before. No regrets thatā€™s for sure - 940 miles so Iā€™m just about to do first oil change and rev beyond 4K. It will be like every best thing rolled into a moment.

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
And of course, who wants they front splitter banging every other mile on GT350R. I wouldn't even make out off my driveway with R without using ramps. I like to drive the car, not to stare at it.
I owned a 2014 Cayman S for 2 years. I loved the car but two things bothered me the most. The seat would not decline back like it does on a 911 and the car sat pretty low which I did not mind at first but after driving around town in LA for a few days you will see that most roads were not built flat like race tracks. Some of these roads today literally require a rally car or SUV to drive on. Either big pot holes or big dips popping up in the middle of no where. Then you have speed bumps.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - All this information is useful for educating the forum on the pros and cons of the different models and that is of value, particularly for those thinking about a purchase. It also helps occupy our minds in this stressful / boring time. However, all of this has one thing in common. It proves that everyone has personal reasons for buying the car they chose, whether itā€™s $ based, performance based, automatic vs. manual, appearance or whatever and each one is as valid as the other. I bought the Bullitt because Iā€™m older and liked the retro / sleeper look, the color, the uniqueness, the manual tranny (yes, itā€™s fine for daily use), driving comfort, etc. It has better than adequate performance and at my age (me personally, not all older folks) I have no interest in track or strip endeavors. So, be cautious when you generalize about ā€œOnce you try (a particular model) youā€™ll never want (whatever model)ā€ because we all have individual tastes, priorities, $ limitations, etc. Yeah, maybe Iā€™d secretly like owning a Bugatti Veyron but thatā€™s just not me whether I could afford it or not. Iā€™m a happy camper with my choice and also enjoy owning an American icon (ie. the Mustang) for the first time and at age 78 there might not be a next time - license plates say ā€œLAST TOYā€... Bruce

Last edited:

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Get the one that puts the bigger smile on your face. Life is Short as evidenced by this friggin Chinese Virus.
Went from Maual 18 Corvette GS (had to get rid of it after back surgery) to 19 Manual GT to 19 GT350.
Made the mistake of driving one a few months after getting my GT.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I havenā€™t tracked a car in 20+ years but plan on doing it occasionally in the future The plan was a 2020 GT350, after driving the 2020 PP2 with all the upgrades over the 2019 and then the 350 I went with the PP2. This car as I said wonā€™t be tracked much and it will be my wifeā€™s daily driver.
First thing I am doing is to order new tires and rims to save those huge cup 2ā€™s for track day. If I can drive anywhere similar to 20+ years ago I donā€™t think I will fret much about others, tires and driver go a long way.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
It's interesting to to note the GT and GT 350 comparisons especially when it comes to trackable performance. For sure FORD had to create enough separation between to justify the $$$ step up...but with a few well chosen upgrades and a really experienced track instructor behind the wheel...chasing down a GT 350 in the corners with his modified Ecoboost was not a problem. Wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't witnessed it from the passenger seat. So apples to apples on the track...sure the GT 350 wins...but how many have the skillset to extract almost everything from what they have? Interesting to ponder...

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
It's interesting to to note the GT and GT 350 comparisons especially when it comes to trackable performance. For sure FORD had to create enough separation between to justify the $$$ step up...but with a few well chosen upgrades and a really experienced track instructor behind the wheel...chasing down a GT 350 in the corners with his modified Ecoboost was not a problem. Wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't witnessed it from the passenger seat. So apples to apples on the track...sure the GT 350 wins...but how many have the skillset to extract almost everything from what they have? Interesting to ponder...

Well that goes for any car. The car canā€™t drive itself, or these cars cannot. So on a track a more skilled driver will always be faster. These new cars, the rules have changed. Itā€™s no longer go buy hop-up parts to go faster, itā€™s go get driving classes.

this was a good article that I read that explained that concept really well https://autologicmagazine.com/2019/12/14/awake-from-your-car-coma/

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
the look, the sound and the performance are all night/day above a GT. There is a reason it cost more. Having said that, you can make a sweet ride out of a GT thats just as good or better.

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
And if he was driving the GT350, he would've been even faster. This comparison carries no weight.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Well that goes for any car. The car canā€™t drive itself, or these cars cannot. So on a track a more skilled driver will always be faster. These new cars, the rules have changed. Itā€™s no longer go buy hop-up parts to go faster, itā€™s go get driving classes.

this was a good article that I read that explained that concept really well https://autologicmagazine.com/2019/12/14/awake-from-your-car-coma/
That article was written by one of, what I believe, our most knowledgeable members @svttim. He, along with @nastang87xx, @Tomster and @honeybadger are members that you can trust what they are saying because their posts are based on a wealth of experience. @svttim and @nastang87xx gave me some of the best advice when it comes to owning a GT350 and that is to learn how to drive it. Here I am doing suspension work and asking about tires through PM's to both. They basically told me the best money that I could spend on the car is learning how to actually drive it on a track.That's because a GT350's capabilities FAR exceed the driving capabilities of most people that own one.
There are some that say a GT350/350R is nothing special and just another Mustang. This car is not easy to drive at even close to the limit on the street. I thought I was a really competent diver prior to getting my 350. After driving it for close to three years now, I still am learning and understanding how capable this car is. This after owning, modifying and driving some pretty nice cars over thirty five years.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
^^^ I am humbled by the way the GT350R can hang with the best of them. At its price point, the R is probably the best out of the box track car ever made. I'm keeping two of them. I'm trading one of them in for what I was told by the lead development driver for these cars, is the exponentially better car all around (CFTP).

with that being said, the 500 isn't for everyone. Some folks have to row their own gears and have the full experience. I do too, and I will keep two of them for that very reason. However the 350 is a new classic. FPC, NA, engine unique to any other model..... amazing

Oh, and you forgot three other pillars of the community, @PP0001 and @Epiphany and @Tank

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
^^^ I am humbled by the way the GT350R can hang with the best of them. At its price point, the R is probably the best out of the box track car ever made. I'm keeping two of them. I'm trading one of them in for what I was told by the lead development driver for these cars, is the exponentially better car all around (CFTP).

with that being said, the 500 isn't for everyone. Some folks have to row their own gears and have the full experience. I do too, and I will keep two of them for that very reason. However the 350 is a new classic. FPC, NA, engine unique to any other model..... amazing

Oh, and you forgot three other pillars of the community, @PP0001 and @Epiphany and @Tank
True sir. I forgot to mention those members as who I believe are the forum's resident experts as well. Looking forward to your feedback once you get the GT500 CFTP.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
That article was written by one of, what I believe, our most knowledgeable members @svttim. He, along with @nastang87xx, @Tomster and @honeybadger are members that you can trust what they are saying because their posts are based on a wealth of experience. @svttim and @nastang87xx gave me some of the best advice when it comes to owning a GT350 and that is to learn how to drive it. Here I am doing suspension work and asking about tires through PM's to both. They basically told me the best money that I could spend on the car is learning how to actually drive it on a track.That's because a GT350's capabilities FAR exceed the driving capabilities of most people that own one.
There are some that say a GT350/350R is nothing special and just another Mustang. This car is not easy to drive at even close to the limit on the street. I thought I was a really competent diver prior to getting my 350. After driving it for close to three years now, I still am learning and understanding how capable this car is. This after owning, modifying and driving some pretty nice cars over thirty five years.
Thank you. I learn from everyone's opinion here as well. Honored to be a part of the group mentioned along with the group Tomster added. Im sure there are others that should be added as well
Sponsored