Sponsored

Long road trip tips (more than 500 miles)

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Hey all, looking for some road trip tips.

In about a week me and my other half will be moving to Austin, Texas from Santa Monica, CA. In short, were tired of the high cost of living and ready for a change. We both got new jobs and j have family there too, and we're both very excited.

However, were going to drive the 1,392 mile route twice. Yes. TWICE.

The first drive will be in a rented minivan for moving out stuff and his 2016 XC90. Then we'll fly back to Los Angeles where we'll spend one last night in our box (because it's not a studio, it's a box) and make the drive again in my car, only this time I'll be doing all the driving because he can't drive stick. So, never having done a long road trip like this before (have driven to SF once and that's the longest trip I've done) do you kind folks have any tips on surviving a long drive like this?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Hey all, looking for some road trip tips.

In about a week me and my other half will be moving to Austin, Texas from Santa Monica, CA. In short, were tired of the high cost of living and ready for a change. We both got new jobs and j have family there too, and we're both very excited.

However, were going to drive the 1,392 mile route twice. Yes. TWICE.

The first drive will be in a rented minivan for moving out stuff and his 2016 XC90. Then we'll fly back to Los Angeles where we'll spend one last night in our box (because it's not a studio, it's a box) and make the drive again in my car, only this time I'll be doing all the driving because he can't drive stick. So, never having done a long road trip like this before (have driven to SF once and that's the longest trip I've done) do you kind folks have any tips on surviving a long drive like this?

Thanks.
Congratulations on moving out of the worst place to live in life. I'm looking forward to moving out of San Diego someday. Good luck in Texas.

Enjoy the trip. You'll have to break it up. Just another experience in your life.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Not that bad, the MT-82 gets pretty hot when running flat out on rural highways at uhh... spirited speed.

As long as you keep it under 120 you'll do fine. The S550 (at least the premiums with the cooled seats) is a truly great touring car and I have done the 300 mile trip to Vegas several times without any concerns for comfort or fatigue.

Even managed about 21MPG in my GT which is crazy so the EB should be even better. Curse the small tank, though. Just keep an eye on that. Keep a cooler with lots of water, though. You really don't want to be without it if you're taking the 8 or 10 east.

Lukasha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Blue Dream
I used to live in Los Angeles and now live in Austin, so 1st, I feel your pain, and second, welcome to a great place to live. You'll find Austin is like the greater LA area in all the good ways and not too many of the bad ways.

As far as the road trip goes, the good news is that you can take I-10 nearly the entire way here. As far as advice to make it sane, make sure you bring lots of snacks and drinks, make sure to take breaks whenever you feel you need to, and have a really, really good playlist of music on whatever music storage device you use in your car.

Looking forward to seeing you around town!

Jeff

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
^^^ What he said except stopping so much, plus I'd not try the whole ride without a break. Hotel at 650-700 miles no matter what hole in the wall town you find yourself in. Max your miles per tank, don't do what so many people do and stop for gas at 3/4 of a tank. That makes for a really long day. If you max the miles per tank you'll find you are at the halfway point after the second tank.

And yes the music or a comedy channel on Sirius to keep things light. I have done multiple 1K+ mile trips as a single driver and getting comfortable in the car is essential. When you do stop don't eat a meal, a sandwich, cookies etc. But no big meal, that is sure to slow you down mentally.

If you haven't already done it practice using cruise control letting, your right foot rest on the long stretches is a great move. And my final suggestion, if you've never checked there is a recommended best way to adjust your rear view mirrors to eliminate blind spots no matter what car you have. It works and eliminating the stress of turning to look before every lane change helps to minimize the anxiety when driving in traffic in unfamiliar towns/cities. BLIS is great if you have it.

If you do the above a couple times, you'll find you can go farther than the 650 -700 and you may get up to the 1K level. It's not hard but it takes discipline.

Why are you not renting a U'haul truck and towing the Stang while he drives the Volvo? One trip is all that needed at least thats what it seems to me.

Good Luck and remember if no pics it didn't happen.

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Even my dog could drive a stick on I-10.

Nylesw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06' Ram 1500 5.7, Mustang GT premium 17' Silver
I agree, your co-pilot should be able to get up and going with a stick on the freeway, 30 minutes of parking lot and you should be good to go.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I drive St Louis to Orlando every year. 16 hours and 1,038 each way.

We try and split it up, I will drive 2-3 hour, wife 2-3 hours, me 2-3 ect ect. But many times, I have done all 16 hours in the drivers seat on my own. Best advice i can give you, is start driving at sun down and drive all night.

Driving over night is traffic free and so less stressful. If you can stay awake.
Sponsored