jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus, 2017 AG GT350
Hey All,

Looking at my firstGT350 that’s down in Texas but I live in New York. I would love to drive it back but first wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on any paint protection films they like (aggressive amounts of painters tape works too) and thoughts on maybe an oil change before I start the haul?

Not sure when last oil change was performed yet. I’d like to drive it at least a little hard with that much open road....

Any other pointers for a long haul like that with a GT350 is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
New or used? I'm guessing it's used if you're wondering about when oil was changed last. If new, I wouldn't drive it that far at sustained highway speeds. There's a proper way to break in the car, and seat the rings properly through repeated decelerating while in gear.
Also, what tires on it? If it's the SC2's you're going to have problems controlling the car when you get to colder weather states, let alone up in Rochester where you live. Even Texas right now is experiencing below freezing temperatures.
You might want to consider hiring an auto transport company to haul it back to NY. That's what I was planning, when I was trying to buy a new one that was in PA. But it got sold before I could make a deal.

OP
OP
jpalmerino

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
New or used? I'm guessing it's used if you're wondering about when oil was changed last. If new, I wouldn't drive it that far at sustained highway speeds. There's a proper way to break in the car, and seat the rings properly through repeated decelerating while in gear.
Also, what tires on it? If it's the SC2's you're going to have problems controlling the car when you get to colder weather states, let alone up in Rochester where you live. Even Texas right now is experiencing below freezing temperatures.
You might want to consider hiring an auto transport company to haul it back to NY. That's what I was planning, when I was trying to buy a new one that was in PA. But it got sold before I could make a deal.
Yep, used. 2017 w/ 16k miles.

Guess I should have mentioned this part too...SC2s are on but I wouldn’t be going down till first week of April (pending car still being available). No availability till then so if I miss out, back to waiting:frown:

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
If I'll do what you planning and car is in good condition, given it's used, I'll look for good PPF installer at the place of purchase(depends on a car condition at least it needs paint correction). You can go with either Xpel or Suntec, both are good films. Do the entire front end with mirrors, part of rear quarters, A-Pillars and edge or the roof. This is what I've done and is based on my experience with this car. I personally wouldn't do highway drive for so long(1600ml), this car is for track or back twisty roads. But if you must, it'll be great experience driving this car. You may visit Tail of the Dragon in TN on your way to NY. Also, you mentioned that the car has Cup2's, which I doubt because up to '19 they've been fitted with MPSS. But if it's Cup2's I would change them to PSS or PS4S which better suits for the driving you're planning. And if you're not sure about oil, I would definitely do the change and keep extra quart or two in the trunk for the trip. One more think, not sure if you know this car don't have spare donut. Get tire repair kit on Amazon for about $15.
https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-5000...1613183265&s=automotive&sr=1-4&ts_id=15706711

Last edited:
OP
OP
jpalmerino

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If I'll do what you planning and car is in good condition, given it's used, I'll look for good PPF installer at the place of purchase(depends on a car condition at least it needs paint correction). You can go with either Xpel or Suntec, both are good films. Do the entire front end with mirrors, part of rear quarters, A-Pillars and edge or the roof. This is what I've done and is based on my experience with this car. I personally wouldn't do highway drive for so long(1600ml), this car is for track or back twisty roads. But if you must it would be great experience driving this car. You may visit Tail of the Dragon in TN on your way to NY. Also, you mentioned that the car has Cup2's, which I doubt because up to '19 they've been fitted with MPSS. But if it's Cup2's I would change them to PSS or PS4S which better suits for the driving you're planning. And if you're not sure about oil, I would definitely do the change.
That’s a good point. It’s the OEM wheels so must be MPSS, guess I flipped the two.

I don’t really have to drive it back but I figured with hotel prices being so low and flights, no time like the present for a road trip and would still cost less than an enclosed freight. Also gets me the heck out of NY for longer!

At this point, oil change is a go if I do drive it. Can’t think of one reason not to unless the dealer did something weird and changed it which can always be thrilling...

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Ok.
You should be able to find out when last oil change was done, and go from there.
As for PPF, do you know if maybe it already has it on the car? If not with 16K miles already on it, you might as well wait until you get home. And see what else you might want done on it.
Also, are they the original tires on car? If so, at 16k miles, they're done, or very close to it. Wouldn't want to drive that far on original tires with that much mileage.

OP
OP
jpalmerino

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ok.
You should be able to find out when last oil change was done, and go from there.
As for PPF, do you know if maybe it already has it on the car? If not with 16K miles already on it, you might as well wait until you get home. And see what else you might want done on it.
Also, are they the original tires on car? If so, at 16k miles, they're done, or very close to it. Wouldn't want to drive that far on original tires with that much mileage.
From my understanding the car is stock as stock gets. No PPF or any other kinds of correction.

As for tires, not sure yet either. It’s had two owners so I’d like to think it’s been done at least once. The car just popped up yesterday so I haven’t gotten many details other than what’s listed etc. All very good points though that might make shipping worth it. I plan on flying down to see it, no deal until test drive so I’ll get out of the house regardless

TENTEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 350 GT R
Where in Texas?

I’d suggest a plastic shoe box to carry a set of Mechanix gloves, 1 Qt of proper oil and a roll of shop towels.

Might want get some pics of the tire tread with a gauge on them.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Agree that I would try to ship it if at all possible. If I decided to drive it back to NY I would PPF locally (per @lenFeb above) but you should have the car properly detailed and paint corrected prior to PPF so you don't PPF over paint / rock chips that should be corrected. Also agree with oil change, bringing oil with you on the trip, spare tire or AAA, etc. If you look at the cost of what it would take to do the driving option "right", again, you are better off paying to ship it. I shipped my HEP from KS in an enclosed trailer for .98 per mile.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jpalmerino

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Where in Texas?

I’d suggest a plastic shoe box to carry a set of Mechanix gloves, 1 Qt of proper oil and a roll of shop towels.

Might want get some pics of the tire tread with a gauge on them.
A little south of Houston in Lake Jackson

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Looking at my firstGT350 that’s down in Texas but I live in New York. I would love to drive it back but first wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on any paint protection films they like (aggressive amounts of painters tape works too) and thoughts on maybe an oil change before I start the haul?
I personally would use Tracwrap by Xpel provided the car is clean and with a somewhat fresh coating of wax. You see a lot of grim once back to VA on up as you know.

OP
OP
jpalmerino

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that didn’t take long. 48 hours later and the car is gone! Back to the waiting game I guess!
Sponsored