Sponsored

Locker

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I take it none of the previous Detroit lockers that fit the old 8.8 fit in the new super 8.8? Does anyone know if Yukon, Eaton etc or anyone is working on one yet?
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The Super 8.8 is dimensionally different in a lot of aspects. Really, the only thing that carries over is the barrel diameter and the diameter of the ring pilot. Everything else important - bearing size, bearing location, bearing span, ring gear bolt circle, axle shaft spline, spline position, etc. - is all different. This is sort of a 8.8/9.75 hybrid.

That said, I'd be shocked if other aftermarket companies aren't working on something, although the aftermarket as a whole has been slow to embrace the IRS axles in the Camaro and Challenger...

OP
OP

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The Super 8.8 is dimensionally different in a lot of aspects. Really, the only thing that carries over is the barrel diameter and the diameter of the ring pilot. Everything else important - bearing size, bearing location, bearing span, ring gear bolt circle, axle shaft spline, spline position, etc. - is all different. This is sort of a 8.8/9.75 hybrid.

That said, I'd be shocked if other aftermarket companies aren't working on something, although the aftermarket as a whole has been slow to embrace the IRS axles in the Camaro and Challenger...
I had a feeling it was different. I know dynatrac makes stuff for the Camaro and challenger, so im hopeful. I really hope Yukon is on it. I prefer their products if given the choice. Shame the Yukon and eaton suff that fit the fords old 8.8 doesn't work like it did in the 03-04 cobras, just needed different axles. Thanks for the info on how drastically different the new IRS is. I appreciate it.:cheers:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
If you saw them side by side, you probably wouldn't even think that they're related. But, on the plus side, the pinion gear is substantially beefier and has much bigger bearings. The diff journal bearings are bigger too. The old 8.8 always had an issue with spinning the left side bearing on the diff (they always had a tighter press fit on that side), and this upgrade finally fixes that issue as well.

OP
OP

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If you saw them side by side, you probably wouldn't even think that they're related. But, on the plus side, the pinion gear is substantially beefier and has much bigger bearings. The diff journal bearings are bigger too. The old 8.8 always had an issue with spinning the left side bearing on the diff (they always had a tighter press fit on that side), and this upgrade finally fixes that issue as well.
Do you see this needing the old C clip eliminator type mod like the previous 8.8

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
There are no C-clips in this axle to require elimination.

C-clips are, mostly, used to retain solid axle shafts. You need a solid, positive means of maintaining the spline connection when the axle is directly under the influence of the tire contact patch. Side loads on the tire could pull the spline out (and the whole axle) if the C-clip wasn't there.

I don't think I've even come across an IRS application that used them. Since an IRS essentially divorces the spline connection from the wheel end, there's no need for such a positive retainer. The half shaft has CV joints, which have plunge travel in them. The outer joint is retained by a large hub nut, so no matter what the side load from the wheel is, the inner shaft isn't pulled on. So, they just have a snap ring to make sure that they don't come out uninvited. All that really has to do is make sure the inner CV joint can't move out enough to disrupt the center section's oil seal.

So, the long-winded answer to your quick question is no, there's no need for that. Even a spool that had no center access at all could be made with the snap ring retainer grooves, so any locker or spool that comes to market will be a direct-fit if the manufacturer is worth anything.
Sponsored