Sponsored

Locked out of my 2018 Mustang. How do I get that door handle thingie off?

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Puzzled on how to get into my car now.

The car sat int he garage for 5 months and now its dead. Car won't unlock without the keyfob.

I know you can take the key out of the fob and put it in the release slot on the door handle. I've done that but I still cant get that handle cover off. How exactly does it come off? Do I have to twist? Sometimes when I insert the key it wants to go at an angle, other times when I push straight up it feels like I'm pushing up against a rubber grommet. I'm sure this is addressed in the owners manual, but thats locked inside the car in the glove box.

The one video I can see on youtube shows this done on an 17' mustang, but the guys hand covers exactly what he is doing with the key so I'm at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Flare65

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thank you both for the reply's. I got it off and the car jump started. I tried using the key from the keyfob over and over but to no avail. I needed up using a very small flat blade screwdriver. Basically I pushed it in and slid the plastic part to the right.

I think the car defaulted to factory settings for the radio. When I turned it on it defaulted to some AM station. I usually have three guages set up in the center of the digital dash and they were missing and I had to put them back. I never changed the dash colors so I don't know if they would be set back to default or not.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The settings being saved sometimes depend on how long the car is without power. It will usually hold all the settings long enough to change the battery, maybe even a couple of days or more. Much past that and most things will default.
A recommendation, use a charger to fully charge the battery and then have it tested to be sure being flat that long didn't damage it.
Jump starting it is fine but the charging system was never meant to fully charge a dead battery. Just to run the car and top up whatever you used starting the car.
Sponsored