Sponsored

[Locked due to politics] Student debt cancelation. Seems there are strong opinions against it from some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
not really the same thing but ok. Credit card debt is nothing like student loans. You dont need credit cards to make it in life. An education...yeah. Plus colleges charging for 4 to 8 years of "education" when what they taught you that is actually job relevant could have been taught in 6 months. the rest is BS to inflate a tuition so the college can brag about their 1 billion on reserves. And text books? My first semester of text books were 1100 dollars... total BS. Damn medical text books were almost 1/3rd of my loans.

I have paid my loans and I still think its bull s$%#. I dont wish it upon anyone just because "I had to do it" thats some selfish crap. people already cant make it and i see people living in damn ear poverty with master degrees cause of student loans. thats total BS.
A college degree is a PRODUCT. It is not a RIGHT. Now if you want to do something to have the Govt pay for said product, there is a grrrrreeat option for you. Join the Military and the Govt will reward you with a paycheck while you work, AND pay for your college so you don't start your civilian career in a severe financial hole. Why do people "wish" hardship on others?? Because they probably know that the Govt doesn't have a money tree and anything the Govt "gives" to people who don't want to be responsible for their own lives, actually COMES from them, the taxpayer. IE people who are dealing with the "hardship" of working and having to hand way too much of their pay to the Govt so they can make stupid assed decisions with that money. Like paying off student loan debt that each student asked for fully knowing that since they did not have the money for college, they had to borrow it from a bank.

I am an Ant and I do not believe in paying for the Grasshopper. It's a competitive world. The faster you learn that you will have to compete to succeed in it, the better. Staying in the sandbox and crying because your toy isn't as nice as the other child's toy isn't going to get you very far, and the sooner you step out of the sandbox, the better. I agree the post-HS education system is a rip off.
Sponsored

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
I have mixed feelings about it. I certainly did not join for college I didn't really know about the GI Bill and all of the benefits until I was getting ready to get out. I joined for multiple reasons, one being to be with a 'Band of Brothers' a group of friends that I know who have my back and I had that.

On one had I was treated miserably and my deployment was the worst experience of my life but had formed good relationships with some of the guys in my unit to the point that I am closer to them than my own brother and they know me more than my own family. We consider ourselves brothers and I have close relationships with their family, and I never had experienced that before. I had just graduated high school before I went in just like my friends so we all grew up together. I got extremely lucky in that I was able to get medically retired only weeks before my original release date. I was able to get a high disability percentage so I don't ever have to worry about money and have nice benefits. So in the end it did work out. I would not be the person and where Im at today if it wasn't for that, so I just accept it.

As much as I hated it, I know that I would never be able to live with myself if I had quit or stayed behind while my friends went over there, some people are okay with that but Im not that type of guy.

The problem is that very few people basically dictate how much you will hate or enjoy your life, and you won't know until show up to the unit and its already too late. So many people re-enlisted and immediately regretted it after coming to my company lol. My Army experience was out of the ordinary and not normal at all. We mostly a NCO led platoon, didn't have a PL for long because he went to Ranger School for 6 months and then got fired soon after we deployed.
100% agreed...call me delusional I joined because I believed in serving..I believed in men can't come home until we relieve them... I was 19 years old when i stepped foot in Iraq. Not knowing a fucking thing..

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
100% agreed...call me delusional I joined because I believed in serving..I believed in men can't come home until we relieve them... I was 19 years old when i stepped foot in Iraq. Not knowing a fucking thing..
Yeah that was me in 2014.

It is one of those situations where you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. It sucks but you just got to keep your head up and don't look back

Also I don't think you are delusional, everybody I know joined for that reason. We all join for different reasons but I never met anyone in person that joined for college. College was just a way to get out

Last edited:

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
I tried to join for that reason. A bad knee and foot and they said no thank you.

Sponsored

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
Call me delusional but you gu
You are not delusional. Our nation has let countless men and women like you down. We are all in a debt of gratitude to you all, that words can never repay.

Most kids these days don't sign up to defend the "greatest country on earth" because this country treats the masses, and the troops who put everything on the line, like shit. You deserve better.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
know that the Govt doesn't have a money tree and anything the Govt "gives" to people who don't want to be responsible for their own lives, actually COMES from them, the taxpayer.
Hello; Yes to this. The government is run by around 535 people but they spend taxpayer money and even worse print money out of thin air which makes the money we manage to hang onto worth even less day by day. (inflation) Government money is not free and it is an inefficient way to buy anything.
IE people who are dealing with the "hardship" of working and having to hand way too much of their pay to the Govt so they can make stupid assed decisions with that money. Like paying off student loan debt that each student asked for fully knowing that since they did not have the money for college, they had to borrow it from a bank.
Hello; For a very long time It has not been a secret about how a college degree is no longer the ticket to a better life. That a large number of people taking out government backed student loans are struggling to pay them back because a degree may not get you a decent paying job.
The universities have been cashing in on this concept of Government backed loans for a few decades. Money up front guaranteed by the Feds. So they keep raising the cost to attend higher and higher and still so many sign the dotted line.
How much of that student loan money has gone for things other than tuition, books and needed stuff? Cars and vacations on spring break maybe?

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Screenshot_20201122-194247_Firefox.jpg

Something something bootstraps

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest I can't believe this is a serious thing. The disparity in the level of education between say a U of M Ann arbor and say timbuck2 community college makes this a laughable political movement only considered by the dreamiest of dreamers. Like the gov is ever going to just hand over the money to "entitled and privileged" (not my description) suburban U of M students while poorer non-privileged city kids get very little in comparison to go to timbuck2 community college. You would have to combat "systemic racism" (catchall phrase for lack of equality being used today) by equalizing the level of education.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
To be honest I can't believe this is a serious thing. The disparity in the level of education between say a U of M Ann arbor and say timbuck2 community college makes this a laughable political movement only considered by the dreamiest of dreamers. Like the gov is ever going to just hand over the money to "entitled and privileged" (not my description) suburban U of M students while poorer non-privileged city kids get very little in comparison to go to timbuck2 community college. You would have to combat "systemic racism" (catchall phrase for lack of equality being used today) by equalizing the level of education.
Yeah I feel the same way. There are way more pressing matters than the student debt, just goes to show you how clueless the people we have in office are.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah I feel the same way. There are way more pressing matters than the student debt, just goes to show you how clueless the people we have in office are.
Clueless? Their only priority is keeping their jobs or rather the bribes that come with the job. Giving people money gets you votes. Telling everyone else that it doesn't really cost them anything (it's just deleting a spreadsheet) fools enough into not voting against them.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that people understand what politics is all about. No matter what party you align with. It is all about helping themselves stay in office for all the freebees, books, speaking engagements, etc. To get richer.. They will not do what is good for the you and me or the country. Thy will only do what they can to keep your vote.:question::question::question:
got to keep that commercial sized freezer full of gourmet ice cream.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Rule #1 - Never get private student loans - only Federal loans - because you can IBR them away if the debt is too much and the balance after 25 years is forgiven.

Rule#2 - If you go with Rule #1, talk to a tax professional so you can avoid the "tax bomb" that may occur once the balance is forgiven. A good time to buy a 911 Turbo Convertible would be in year 24.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
I am good with student loans being wiped out if
they pay me and wife back for her nursing education and the 4 kids we put though school and how about my son who served 4 years in the Marines who is getting a education but paying for part of his!
who pays for all of this ??
the answer the tax payers nothing is free
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.