Sponsored

[Locked due to politics] Student debt cancelation. Seems there are strong opinions against it from some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR YUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Convertible
I think it was 1993 that the government tried to make college more affordable for everyone.

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

When will we ever learn?

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How is it not logical you just said the same thing i just did. When everyone gets it no one complains. when only some are the ones who don't are complaining cause they are afraid someone is getting something they wont. Its not that they are ageist it by principal . they are only against it cause they aren't befitting from it. if they were they wouldn't complain any more.
The "Not logical" was in reference to you even comparing 2 completely different scenarios.

For something like the stimulus, there is no reason for complaint because everyone received it, which would hardly be the case regarding tuition.

And again, comparing $1200 to much larger amounts is silly. Especially when one is meant to keep families afloat.

And regarding your "Its not that they are ageist it by principal . they are only against it cause they aren't befitting from it" argument, frankly, that's far off the mark as well. It is completely about principal. You claim it's about the principal of "not accepting government handouts" but that's not it at all. It concerns the principal that it's YOUR debt and you should handle it YOURSELF like all those that handled it before you. Learn to be responsible for your actions.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
For something like the stimulus, there is no reason for complaint because everyone received it, which would hardly be the case regarding tuition.
You make no sense this is exactly what Im saying and your telling me im wrong then saying the exact same thing as your argument??? ok.

This is exactly what Im saying no one complained when it was a check everyone got. but not everyone would get the tuition help so those who aren't are complaining. "Its not fair im not getting anything and im gonna complain cause someone else is and im not". Now those same people if the government said tomorrow ok we are gonna give every home owner 10k off their mortgage do you think those same people complaining that tuition people should do it themselves with no help would say NO please keep the check I wont take it? Hell no they would take the hand out check in a second. again they are only complaining and screaming not fair cause they aren't benefiting. If they were they wouldn't say a word just like the stimulus check they cashed with no problem with out saying a word.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
You make no sense this is exactly what Im saying and your telling me im wrong then saying the exact same thing as your argument??? ok.

This is exactly what Im saying no one complained when it was a check everyone got. but not everyone would get the tuition help so those who aren't are complaining. "Its not fair im not getting anything and im gonna complain cause someone else is and im not". Now those same people if the government said tomorrow ok we are gonna give every home owner 10k off their mortgage do you think those same people complaining that tuition people should do it themselves with no help would say NO please keep the check I wont take it? Hell no they would take the hand out check in a second. again they are only complaining and screaming not fair cause they aren't benefiting. If they were they wouldn't say a word just like the stimulus check they cashed with no problem with out saying a word.
let me help you with your analogy because you’re not getting it. What if the govt only gave half the people 10k for their mortgage. Do you think the other people would be upset? Of course they would. What about the people that were responsible and payed off their mortgage. Should they get compensated too or only the people that still owe money?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
let me help you with your analogy because you’re not getting it. What if the govt only gave half the people 10k for their mortgage. Do you think the other people would be upset? Of course they would. What about the people that were responsible and payed off their mortgage. Should they get compensated too or only the people that still owe money?
LOL yall kill me. this is exactly what I am saying. why do you several people keep saying the exact same thing but in a way that makes me wrong and you right. I ma saying exactly this people are only against it if they are not benefiting from it. if they were they would not give two s**ts. Its just like 5 year olds crying cause their sister or bother got a bigger piece of cake then them. people cant wish well on others unless they are getting a cut.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
well a bit actually. for one no ones talking forgiveness. n one is saying they are gonna pay off full loans. People will still be responsible for some of their loans. Point is schools should have to be up front and truthful. stop misleading students just to get the check. No everyone on this planet can read a contract and fully understand legal jargon. They depend on the financial aide to be truth full and upfront. I mean its really no different then sucking in old people in to a new roof or repaved driveway. I mean why should people who were very mislead still be liable for the loans?

This goes back to we should be aloowed to sue for poor education or being mislead about loans and repayment and then this stuff would stop but as of right now they can do whatever they want and you are stuck.
You are literally talking about "student loan cancelation" in your title which indicates that you are talking about canceling student loan debt. If you are talking about something along the lines of the plan that Sen. Warren put forth than that is different. At the end of the day, you still can't justify why this is good policy because it isn't. Your main complaint is that schools should be held accountable for XYZ which is all well and good, but it has nothing to do with forgiving student loans. As is the common phrase in law says, ignorance of the law is no excuse especially when there is a multitude of help to understand loans and how they work.

Your argument about the "stimulus" check and student loans or military service and student loans being equal is false and doesn't make logical sense. The only way these even touch is that they are paid via tax payer money. The "stimulus" check was given to us because the government shutdown our livelihoods due to a pandemic and as such the government has the duty to try and compensate the individuals in some way. The GI Bill allows Americans who have served their country and fulfilled their civic duty an incentive to join the military. The people who are eligible to take advantage of the GI Bill have put in some sort of service and as a result, they get a benefit from their service and their duty. I would benefit greatly from a blanket student loan forgiveness program either in the style of Sen. Warren's plan or Sen. Sanders plan and yet I am still against one for a variety of reasons.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Without getting overly political on a mustang page. College loans and education in general are not a “right” it’s a choice. With that being said there’s no reason why some one who doesn’t want to go to college for example should pay higher taxes to cancel out some ones loan to achieve a degree they want in liberal arts. It’s selfish to think every one should contribute towards this and is silly and a political talking point that most likely will never occur. I am not trying to argue I just saw the topic and needed to comment. I don’t wish hardship on any one. I have no loans left and do have a degree but I also don’t think some one should’ve paid for my education other than me. It was my choice to go school and achieve a higher level of education other than what was offered and it was my choice to attend the school I went to so I do not think it’s any ones responsibility to have helped me pay for that choice.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I must say first off I dont have student debt, so basically I dont care really but.... And I dont think everyone is an a-hole, im referring too the ones who dont even want to see both sides or that dont give two craps about other humans and think people should just suffer.

So people who had student debt and had to as they say "suffer and forgo things and have hardships" basically wish the same thing upon others. Why in the world knowing how crushing student debt can be would you wish it upon others instead of going along with a plan to eliminated it? I can tell you selfish self-centered a-holes. What about your children? wouldn't you want the burden of student debt to be lessoned? NOOOOO!!!! because you had to do screw everyone else happiness then need to be crushed by student debt too.

Disclaimer this is not political this is anti selfish a-holes.

Why do people wish hardships on others? I mean If i was in a relationship and i was treated liek crap and cheated on I wouldn't wish it on others. No different with student loans. if they want to get rid of some let them. stop being a jerk and protesting it because you had to.... things change Jesus let someone have a happy life and move on.
hell no. I don't believe anyone should be allowed to discharge a single penny of any kind of debt without losing their entire self worth. knowing they can charge off is the saddest thing ever, people just pull and pull and pull and then discharge.

I say no. I am 10000% against any type of debt relief of any kind. our nation is screwed because we let people off without repaying their "choices"

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
My taxes already go to a slew of programs to benefit the lazy, unwilling and non contributing members of society. I'll be damned if I want my tax money (from money that I, ME, work for) to forgive college debt, for people that chose to go to college, knowing full well that debt will occur. F that, and it further instills the entitlement attitude of most in that circle these days. For those that paid out of pocket in full for their kids college, do they get a check too for reimbursement? Fair is fair right.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I worked with a lawyers office and unfortunately they work for the government and debt collection agencies/foreclosure/chapter 11 type stuff. you wouldn't believe how many suits I see where judges forgive hundreds of thousands of dollars of college debt.. because it 'impacts their well being'

well shouldn't of withdrawn the debts. just leeches of societies, I think if people get to discharge debt, they should get a permanent label on all their license, car, plates, etc just like DUI drivers get here. instead of party plates, we can label them "leech to society plates"

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Student loan forgiveness or even the bankruptcy option are bad ideas and that comes from a person who graduated with 60k in student loan, and still have many years to go. The reason that they are bad ideas, is that they will encourage people and institutions to manipulate and abuse the system, because in the end there’s a big daddy(government) who’s gonna pay, and trust me they will abuse it! And as the result the government load will skyrocket, tuition costs will increase even more and guess what everyone else has to pay it back through more Taxes.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The only people who deserve any type of college assistance is military imo. that's it as they get the education benefits after serving along with their healthcare etc, you either get scholarships or you work for the ride. no debt relief what soever. as stated above, he is right. its already abused. I've seen it.

JimGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Count me as one of the A-holes, no loan forgiveness, they took the loan out, they should pay it back, they should have been able to figure out that a $100,000 debt was going to be hard to pay back with a $40,000 year salary.
Now go easy, they only had 12 years of basic math.. they need that extra 4 to figure this out... Or maybe that 12 years of "free" education failed them so lets make another 4 free.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.