Sponsored

[Locked due to politics] Student debt cancelation. Seems there are strong opinions against it from some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
If you are dumb or "woke" enough to get a degree in Gender Studies or some other obviously useless field then you should be the only one paying for your stupidity. A big part of life is about making good choices of the options available to you.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you are dumb or "woke" enough to get a degree in Gender Studies or some other obviously useless field then you should be the only one paying for your stupidity. A big part of life is about making good choices of the options available to you.
How are you going to effectively and sensitively deal with the ~60 (and growing) genders you'll interact with everyday without such a degree? People had the same attitude about weightlessness degrees until the equally unpredictable invention of Atlas rockets (the Russian claims were bogus).

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Is the govt going to pay off my mortgage for me?

There has to be a payback in some fashion to make a debt forgiveness program make sense. Simply crossing off the debts and passing it to the American taxpayer makes no sense. There is no such thing as "the govt's money"... it's our money.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I must say first off I dont have student debt, so basically I dont care really but.... And I dont think everyone is an a-hole, im referring too the ones who dont even want to see both sides or that dont give two craps about other humans and think people should just suffer.

So people who had student debt and had to as they say "suffer and forgo things and have hardships" basically wish the same thing upon others. Why in the world knowing how crushing student debt can be would you wish it upon others instead of going along with a plan to eliminated it? I can tell you selfish self-centered a-holes. What about your children? wouldn't you want the burden of student debt to be lessoned? NOOOOO!!!! because you had to do screw everyone else happiness then need to be crushed by student debt too.

Disclaimer this is not political this is anti selfish a-holes.

Why do people wish hardships on others? I mean If i was in a relationship and i was treated liek crap and cheated on I wouldn't wish it on others. No different with student loans. if they want to get rid of some let them. stop being a jerk and protesting it because you had to.... things change Jesus let someone have a happy life and move on.
Hi. Opinion are great for we all have them. For me, My wife and I have paid our children's College out of our own pocket's. I am not looking for the government, IE the Tax payers, IE Me, to bail me out with all of this so called free stuff which is not actually free. Its nice to have everything free until the money from people who pay tax's runs out. It is not my fault so many people get suckered into getting worthless degrees which have no actual, good paying job waiting for them when they graduate. I cannot tell you how many young people I have talked to working at Walmart, or a local restaurant who have massive debt with a Bachelor's or Graduate degrees in a field which have absolutely not a chance in hell of getting a real job. I will say, this is So Sad to say the least, But again, It is not my problem and I don't want to pay for some one else's mistakes for I have to pay for my own when I make them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
so I am just curious why is it everyone here thinks "Their Tax Money" is gonna maybe pay for this or any other "hand out" ? I mean I have paid taxes and most all these people have paid taxes thought pay check with holdings and sales taxes, gas taxes, property taxes and so on.

I have paid thousands and thousands and thousands in taxes over my years. Lets say I was a broke student ( there are people of many ages in college not just teens and early 20 somethings) and I was gonna get a 10k forgivness.... I have more then paid that in taxes over my years just like you or anyone else. So really they are just getting back some of their own tax money to yours.

If the government right now was to say hey every body we are gonna give you all back 10k of the taxes you have paid over the years would you not take it? I dont really see where anyone is paying for this from their taxes like they say I see it more these people are just getting back some of the exorbitant taxes they have paid in the past. everyone has paid taxes (don't be semantic you know what I mean) so whats wrong with them getting a bit of their own taxes back. If tax money is paying for it then all they did was a little prepaying of their own rebates with their own taxes not yours.

And honestly if you knew half the stuff your tax dollars are wasted on this would be a non issue here. at least this goes toward something constructive instead of oh say 500k grants to study how dogs shake water off their fur and crap like that.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
so I am just curious why is it everyone here thinks "Their Tax Money" is gonna maybe pay for this or any other "hand out" ? I mean I have paid taxes and most all these people have paid taxes thought pay check with holdings and sales taxes, gas taxes, property taxes and so on.

I have paid thousands and thousands and thousands in taxes over my years. Lets say I was a broke student ( there are people of many ages in college not just teens and early 20 somethings) and I was gonna get a 10k forgivness.... I have more then paid that in taxes over my years just like you or anyone else. So really they are just getting back some of their own tax money to yours.

If the government right now was to say hey every body we are gonna give you all back 10k of the taxes you have paid over the years would you not take it? I dont really see where anyone is paying for this from their taxes like they say I see it more these people are just getting back some of the exorbitant taxes they have paid in the past. everyone has paid taxes (don't be semantic you know what I mean) so whats wrong with them getting a bit of their own taxes back. If tax money is paying for it then all they did was a little prepaying of their own rebates with their own taxes not yours.

And honestly if you knew half the stuff your tax dollars are wasted on this would be a non issue here. at least this goes toward something constructive instead of oh say 500k grants to study how dogs shake water off their fur and crap like that.
I get your point, that everyone would love their tax money back, but then where to you draw the line? Even if you give every tax-paying citizen their tax money back equally/proportionally, Then there are a lot of GOOD things that will be de-funded OR everyone will STILL have to pay more in taxes, or both.

Also to your point, I would venture to guess over 90% of college students have paid a very small fraction in taxes of what other established citizens have paid, so that's not a fair comparison either, and even if they did get their money back they paid in taxes, it wouldn't put a dent in their debt.

If college is too expensive, the burden should be on the institutions receiving the money to pay it back AND should be required to reduce tuition rates. It should not fall on the tax payers to pay back the bill, which regardless of how you slice it, it will come back on the tax-payers.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’ll do it for $250k
1606940771935.gif

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Also to your point, I would venture to guess over 90% of college students have paid a very small fraction in taxes of what other established citizens have paid, so that's not a fair comparison either, and even if they did get their money back they paid in taxes, it wouldn't put a dent in their debt.
The average cost to rise a child is now about 240k. So their existence alone has generated more then 10k in tax revenue since they were born. So they are still really only getting back what taxes they personally generated :) not anyone elses.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I’ll do it for $250k
1606940771935.gif
LOL deal. but it was a real grant. I guess my whole point to a lot of this is if people were aware and as vocal about things that really were a total waste "of their tax money" helping out student debt would be about 2000 on that list and not even a blip on the radar. The real things people should be upset over no one bats an eye lash at.

Sponsored

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
The average cost to rise a child is now about 240k. So their existence alone has generated more then 10k in tax revenue since they were born. So they are still really only getting back what taxes they personally generated :) not anyone elses.
You're creating a moving target by redefining the parameters of the tax pay back. Initially you said taxes paid and now you're saying taxes generated. But what if the parent wants the returned tax money? Who gets it then? (that's rhetorical as this is a can of worms that no one could ever sort out properly)

I still say the burden should be on the institutions, not tax payers.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You're creating a moving target by redefining the parameters of the tax pay back. Initially you said taxes paid and now you're saying taxes generated. But what if the parent wants the returned tax money? Who gets it then? (that's rhetorical as this is a can of worms that no one could ever sort out properly)

I still say the burden should be on the institutions, not tax payers.
LOL I dont know. This whole thread was just to get people talking. IM not saying I'm right or wrong or anyone else is. Im just making counter points. If everyone agrees then there is no conversation :)

But yes things do need to be done to stop the schools but that also is part of the governments problem. They have made it so you have no recourse with loans. It does not matter if the school taught you everything wrong and scammed you and the teachers were idiots and taught with crayons. you still got to pay it. You cant sue you cant contest it in anyway and that is BUllsh^%

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
LOL deal. but it was a real grant. I guess my whole point to a lot of this is if people were aware and as vocal about things that really were a total waste "of their tax money" helping out student debt would be about 2000 on that list and not even a blip on the radar. The real things people should be upset over no one bats an eye lash at.
I do not doubt it. There's a reason that add on to legislative bills are called pork and not filet mignon. Another reason for term limits. Sorry, but I had to.

There has to be a payback in some fashion to make a debt forgiveness program make sense.
100% agree. I'm OK with forgiveness but not for free. How about some public service thrown in there?

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10

I have not read all the posts but have read some of yours. You state level playing field examples sometimes and sometimes you dont. I dont agree with student debt forgiveness and I, my parents, owe student loans along with what I have paid. I actually dont currently work in a field requiring my degree since I work for myself. The way taxes are spent are already bullshit. Forgiving certain peoples loans because of their poor decisions wont help. Everyone says "their" tax money because it is "their" tax money. It all goes into a big pot and mixes in and then gets spent. It should be spent on infrastructure, defense, etc. that ALL tax payers benefit from. Paying back student loans only benefits part of the tax payers which is bullshit. If they want to forgive student loans, go setup a gofundme account so that people who willingly want to help others can and the ones like me who dont want to bail others out of their poor decisions can opt out. That I would support.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
It all goes into a big pot and mixes in and then gets spent. It should be spent on infrastructure, defense, etc. that ALL tax payers benefit from. Paying back student loans only benefits part of the tax payers which is bullshit. If they want to forgive student loans, go setup a gofundme account so that people who willingly want to help others can and the ones like me who dont want to bail others out of their poor decisions can opt out. That I would support.
Damn.... this person REALLY gets it...!!!!
Well said my friend!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.