Lock nuts

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
I see that Ford is charging $158 for lock nuts. Has anyone bought any different brand. I have used Gorilla Guard lock nuts on a previous car I've owned and they were excellent. You can get them for around $75.

Any recommendations out there as to brand and specs of lock nuts to use.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mwizz

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I know the GT comes with lock nuts. Dunno about the EB.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the GT came with the lock nuts. When I went into the Ford au site and went through the build your own Mustang selection for the GT it shows the lock nut kit as an option for purchase. Based on this I didn't think the GT came with them.

Mark

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon FGMkII XR6 Turbo, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
My GT came with the locking nuts however thought they we thrown in by the Dealer at no cost.

OP
OP
mwizz

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
My GT came with the locking nuts however thought they we thrown in by the Dealer at no cost.
Thanks Greg that would be nice to receive

Sponsored

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Fastback GT MT PP
I am in NZ but guess it would be the same in Oz, my GT also came with lock nuts, and looking at the "my vehicle summary report" from the Ford ETIS site they came that way from the Factory, ie "Locking Lug Nut KitThatcham
Whl"

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
When I went into the Ford au site and went through the build your own Mustang selection for the GT it shows the lock nut kit as an option for purchase.
Mark
I had done the same thing until I went to the dealer to ask them to add the lock nuts when my vehicle arrives. They showed me one on the floor with the lock nuts fitted from factory.

I hope to see new accessories listed soon on the Ford AU website.

RubyVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Maggie the GT...
Took delivery of EB vert on 29/12/15 - told by dealer that package with 2nd key fob and lock nuts were not shipped with a number of cars - should be here in April..

Better not lose the key we have.

Cheers

J

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
The lock nuts that came with the car are from McGard; that's a pretty reputable American company.

If and when I get new wheels I'll probably buy the wheel nuts from them.

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
I have purchased a set of Gorilla Lock Nuts from Summit Racing in the USA.

They are black to match my wheels and each Nut is a locking type.

I think they were $69.97 USD.

They are specifically made for the Mustang wheels as they have the correct seat angle, so they fit the wheel with no unpainted part of the wheel showing.

Many of the other Lock Nuts when fitted to the Mustang, show a part of the wheel that has not been painted black around the Lock Nut seat.

The Gorilla Part No is 96643BDX.

Summit Racing has just received a new shipment of the Lock Nuts.

I checked with the Aussie distributor of Gorilla and they wanted $250.00 plus they would be a special order. They wonder why we buy direct from the USA.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
mwizz

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, good info

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
In the States the lock nuts come with the enhanced security package as well. Don't know if it's the same for your guys. It is a dealer installed item though.

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
Don't tell me about locknuts! Just bought an XR6 Turbo Limited Edition with the big factory 19-inch wheels as a family car (3 years' old) and I decided to have a look at whether the lug nuts were done up too tight, and I broke the f#$king adaptor on the fourth wheel - all within 24 hours of ownership. I have managed to find a place that will have another key on Wednesday, but they are all coming off. It's the old 12-point socket (just a touch smaller than the nut), hammer and breaker bar trick. Will do it on the weekend. You can get 90% or more of them off in a couple of minutes, provided some goose didn't go absolutely crazy with a rattle gut (always and only manually tighten these things ups). To me, risk of f$#k-ups outweighs risk of wheels being stolen.

If you want locking nuts, make sure the key/adaptor is not die-cast shit and is proper forged steel or something not likely to break or wear out, and don't lose the thing.

Hope these McGard ones work better.

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
Don't all the GT's (and possibly eco) come with lock nuts? All the cars I've seen so far have them.

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
My 2016 GT (Canadian car) didn't have locking lug nuts... I'll probably pick up some aftermarket ones in time. Really, they don't slow down thieves very much though... An impact gun will rattle them off in no time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored