What caused the engine failure?

• Total voters

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Agreed.
I checked the AFR gauge and if anything it seemed to run rich.
What were you seeing? Being rich doesn’t protect from detonation and cylinder pressure.
Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Quick update. LMS has the engine out and we'll know the damage. I'll post photos as soon as I get them.
I would demand and not ask for pictures of the damaged parts because this is your car,parts,money and LMS is working for you.You are going to have to grow some big balls before this ordeal is over or LMS is going to screw you over again.I am not trying to be rude and I sure hope every thing works out for you.

Last edited:

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would demand and not ask for pictures of the damaged parts because this is your car,parts,money and LMS is working for you.You are going to have to grow some big balls before this ordeal is over or LMS is going to screw you over again.I am not trying to be rude and I sure hope every thing works out for you.
Hahahaha I love keyboard warriors. Lol

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Hahahaha I love keyboard warriors. Lol
I am not only just a Key Board Warrior,I own a 2017 Mustang GT
with a Whipple Stage 2 Kit that I install myself because I wanted the kit installed perfect and not by some half ass company that just wanted my money.By the way my car runs perfect with the Whipple Tune!:thumbsup:

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 A10 401A, '16 RCSB 5.0
While the Coyote is an amazing engine, it's not bulletproof. Anytime you take an engine that is certified for a horsepower level (435 HP in this case) and add an additional 50%+ or 200+ HP you are taking a gamble. All it takes is something like a set of rings being gapped at the tight end of the tolerance, which is fine at the certified HP level, however with the additional cylinder pressure added by a supercharger something like this can easily happen. It's not as common on Coyotes as it is the LS engines, but it does happen quite often.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
While the Coyote is an amazing engine, it's not bulletproof. Anytime you take an engine that is certified for a horsepower level (435 HP in this case) and add an additional 50%+ or 200+ HP you are taking a gamble. All it takes is something like a set of rings being gapped at the tight end of the tolerance, which is fine at the certified HP level, however with the additional cylinder pressure added by a supercharger something like this can easily happen. It's not as common on Coyotes as it is the LS engines, but it does happen quite often.
Right except that for Roush partner with Ford directly to offer a supercharger setup for 670+ hp with warranty intact.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Right except that for Roush partner with Ford directly to offer a supercharger setup for 670+ hp with warranty intact.
That set up 670 is crank Hp is around 570 at 15% lose whp the 727 crank kit has no warranty is 617 at 15% lose which is level of the livernosi kit. Gtfo with that bs lol. He had a blower and the engine died. Shat happens

Shit roush tune in a auto with 20% lose is 536 wheel and 727 kit 581 whp lol. Killing me Smalls

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
One of the most important things you should do on the install of any supercharger kit is to make sure there is no vacuum leaks.Vacuum Leaks can cause major lean conditions and we all know lean conditions can cause major damage.Just Saying

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 A10 401A, '16 RCSB 5.0
They offer an optional supplemental warranty, it does not keep the factory warranty...

All I'm saying is that these are 11:1 engines and we are adding 9+ pounds of boost to them on pump gas (I've run 15 pounds on mine at times), with those kinds of cylinder pressures it's much easier to find the weakest link.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They offer an optional supplemental warranty, it does not keep the factory warranty...

All I'm saying is that these are 11:1 engines and we are adding 9+ pounds of boost to them on pump gas (I've run 15 pounds on mine at times), with those kinds of cylinder pressures it's much easier to find the weakest link.
Supercharger Application: Superchargers are covered by this Limited Warranty only when installed by an authorized installer on a 5.0L engine in the vehicle for which they were designed, i.e. the Mustang GT MY 2015-18 and the Shelby GT MY 2015-2018.
. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Ford Performance Racing Parts Limited Warranty supercharger coverage: Part Number M-6066-M8627 is warranted for factory-supplied material and workmanship for 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, from the vehicle’s original in-service date as determined by Ford OASIS (On-Line Service Information System).
If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance or mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.

One of the most important things you should do on the install of any supercharger kit is to make sure there is no vacuum leaks.Vacuum Leaks can cause major lean conditions and we all know lean conditions can cause major damage.Just Saying
Livernois installed it, and didn’t find any problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Supercharger Application: Superchargers are covered by this Limited Warranty only when installed by an authorized installer on a 5.0L engine in the vehicle for which they were designed, i.e. the Mustang GT MY 2015-18 and the Shelby GT MY 2015-2018.

Ford Performance Racing Parts Limited Warranty supercharger coverage: Part Number M-6066-M8627 is warranted for factory-supplied material and workmanship for 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, from the vehicle’s original in-service date as determined by Ford OASIS (On-Line Service Information System).

If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance supercharger and calibration, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Racing Parts Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.

If this is the case livernois is at total fault since it’s their install and they were unable to diagnose this when the OP brought the car in. This is unlikely the reason, if it was livernois had a 1 year warranty on their labor.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
I guess you think asking for a few pictures of the damaged parts in your damaged engine after spending thousands of dollar with LMS is just asking too much.LOL
See post 219. Lol.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I stopped by LMS today. They have my engine ready to be installed. The old parts were in a box with the damaged #7 piston with them. I totally trust that these were my engine parts. I have found no evidence of LMS lying to me. Poor service at the beginning, for sure, but I accept the compromise I agreed to. I told Steve I almost ordered a brand new long block, but this way LMS is on the hook completely!
My salesman, Steve, said the engine guys are not sure what the cause was, but are thinking the ring gap on that piston was too close but admitted they are not sure. They seemed concerned about what happened. When they took the piston out, the ring came out in two pieces. We will likely never know for sure.
Here are the photos I took today, they include the photos of my car and the stuff taken out. I realize now that the top piston pictures are kinda blurry.
I'm a bit technologically challenged. I decided to leave the parts there until I pick up the car.
IMG_20180712_160553521.jpg
IMG_20180712_160557833.jpg
IMG_20180712_160605310.jpg
IMG_20180712_160610820.jpg
IMG_20180712_160726923.jpg
IMG_20180712_160802129.jpg
IMG_20180712_160838946.jpg
IMG_20180712_160844235.jpg
IMG_20180712_160854321.jpg
IMG_20180712_160857017.jpg

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stopped by LMS today. They have my engine ready to be installed. The old parts were in a box with the damaged #7 piston with them. I totally trust that these were my engine parts. I have found no evidence of LMS lying to me. Poor service at the beginning, for sure, but I accept the compromise I agreed to. I told Steve I almost ordered a brand new long block, but this way LMS is on the hook completely!
My salesman, Steve, said the engine guys are not sure what the cause was, but are thinking the ring gap on that piston was too close but admitted they are not sure. They seemed concerned about what happened. When they took the piston out, the ring came out in two pieces. We will likely never know for sure.
Here are the photos I took today, they include the photos of my car and the stuff taken out. I realize now that the top piston pictures are kinda blurry.
I'm a bit technologically challenged. I decided to leave the parts there until I pick up the car.
All the best towards you. Regardless, since it’s a upgraded block now you can go for more power then? Keep those pistons as war trophy haha.
Sponsored