oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hey Guys,

I put together a list of tire combinations that fit GT PP wheels. This was in part due to my search for street grip for my ProCharged GT PP. I will also be buying a second set of wheels, probably 18s, for running slicks and DOT slicks, I'm still working on that list.

What this list is:

- Tires marketed by the manufacturer as their most aggressive models.
- Tires ranging from 255 to 305 width.
- Tires staying within 3% of original diameter.
- I tried to grab prices for tires when available.
- Sizes were found on manufacturer's site, may have to be ordered from dealer as some are clearly not in stock anywhere.

I have excluded:

- Tires marketed specifically as track only, despite DOT approval.
- Tires that are essentially similar but marketed as less aggressive versions of same manufacturer's models, i.e. Michelin PS2s were excluded since Michelin Super Sports are on the list.

Questions I have are:

- Have I missed any tires? - I'm open to adding things I missed, shoot me a list either in PM or in the thread.
- What do you guys like to run on the street?
- Does anyone see any performance (not cosmetic) point in going over 275-285ish on 9.5" rims? As far as I can tell anything wider is sort of like riding on a balloon, the bulging sides past the rim width don't really grip much. So far my research and members posts indicate that it is a bad idea to exceed the 9.5" rim size.

EDIT 12/12/2016:

I'm uploading a list (Build Sheet - Streetable Tyre Options.pdf) of all my currently researched streetable tires which gives more flexibility to mix and match against the initial list (Build Sheet - Street W+T.pdf) I uploaded. That initial list (Build Sheet - Street W+T.pdf) is specific to the GT PP rims while the new list I added has 18" options as well and other profiles/sizes that may not work on the GT PP wheels.

I'm going to consider creating a google doc we can all work on or just adding more to what I have based on other's suggestions. I'm going to revisit my initial list and add non-staggered setups too!
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Badass. Appluade your efforts. Please consider one list?
adding track tires like NT01, Hoosiers, etc. and just note track intended.
Maybe go excel and or google docs and allow notes.
RE71R
DWS06
Mich AS3, AS3+
Star spec
NT05R

Exceeding mfg rim width spec degrades performance as the carcass now has to move in relation to the rim to load the sidewall so you add lateral slop. Contact patch stability and shape gets compromised too.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
OH MAN! This is a GREAT resource! THANKS!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
No 285/35-19 Rival
No 285/35 & 295/35-19 Pilot Super Sports

You have multiple Michelins, Nittos, & Pirelli tire models, which doesn't seem to fit your "most aggressive" rule.

Several other brands are completely missing.

You seem to be requiring a front/rear stagger, no reason you can't run 275 square or even 285 (though 285 is a bit outside the recommended width for the 9" front wheels, it's better than running 305 on the 9.5" rear wheels).

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
No 285/35-19 Rival

You have multiple Michelins, Nittos, & Pirelli tire models, which doesn't seem to fit your "most aggressive" rule.

You seem to be requiring a front/rear stagger, no reason you can't run 275 square or even 285 (though 285 is a bit outside the recommended width for the 9" front wheels, it's better than running 305 on the 9.5" rear wheels).
Its a good start though.

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
Stupid question but how will a 285/35/19 on a 19x10 inch rear wheel look with 19x9 front wheel with 255/40/19. Tire diameter is 27.1 for the front and 26.9 for most manufacturers. I don't know if the slight difference will be noticeable?

OP
OP
oesman

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Badass. Appluade your efforts. Please consider one list?
adding track tires like NT01, Hoosiers, etc. and just note track intended.
Maybe go excel and or google docs and allow notes.
RE71R
DWS06
Mich AS3, AS3+
Star spec
NT05R

Exceeding mfg rim width spec degrades performance as the carcass now has to move in relation to the rim to load the sidewall so you add lateral slop. Contact patch stability and shape gets compromised too.
Glad it's helpful! On my side it sort of is one list, really I just have a large google doc for my car build with many tabs. So it's going to have all kinds of other stuff that fits other rim sizes before I decide what will work for me and which rims I'll buy. My goal here was to list stuff that fits these stock PP rims and then go back and list track day tires as well that fit. I think having track tires like the NT05R makes more sense in a separate list, although I know people street them. I will be publishing the second list for sure in this same thread so ultimately you're just looking at two links in the post.

However I think maybe exporting it to a second google doc and sharing that may make more sense that way it will be "one doc" just with different tabs. I'll think about it and see which way I want to roll :). I do agree with you on exceeding the rim width, especially the more I research.

I specifically left out the AS tires as I did not want to include all seasons in my research. I live in Houston and for me all season tires don't make that much sense. Maybe if I go the google doc route others can commit those changes.

Two thumbs up amazing work brotha !
Thanks!

OH MAN! This is a GREAT resource! THANKS!
Awesome to hear you liked it!

No 285/35-19 Rival

You are right about those particular setups, the rival and the super sports! I do have those sizes in my master list of all relevant tire sizes. I'm going to go ahead and attach those too to the first post. I must have missed them when making that shorter list.

As far as the other models of nittos, pirelli, etc... I guess my thought was that PS2 is like a weak Super Sport, they're a very similar tire, so I excluded it, while something like the NT05 vs the NT555 G2 are somewhat different categories. Though I can see maybe my logic is a bit flawed. I excluded a few other models of pirellis and such too as weaker versions, like the various P Zero less sticky (if that's possible) than our OEM flavors. If you guys think I should re-add them I can.

What other brands am I missing? Shout em out and I'll add em, help me out :).

Once he starts tracking I suspect we may see more square fit options?
I will go back and add square fit options too.

Stupid question but how will a 285/35/19 on a 19x10 inch rear wheel look with 19x9 front wheel with 255/40/19. Tire diameter is 27.1 for the front and 26.9 for most manufacturers. I don't know if the slight difference will be noticeable?
I think a 19x10 would be fine with a 285/35/19 looks and drivability wise.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
You cannot notice it.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You are right about those particular setups, the rival and the super sports! I do have those sizes in my master list of all relevant tire sizes. I'm going to go ahead and attach those too to the first post. I must have missed them when making that shorter list.

As far as the other models of nittos, pirelli, etc... I guess my thought was that PS2 is like a weak Super Sport, they're a very similar tire, so I excluded it, while something like the NT05 vs the NT555 G2 are somewhat different categories. Though I can see maybe my logic is a bit flawed. I excluded a few other models of pirellis and such too as weaker versions, like the various P Zero less sticky (if that's possible) than our OEM flavors. If you guys think I should re-add them I can.

What other brands am I missing? Shout em out and I'll add em, help me out :).

I will go back and add square fit options too.
So you have both the P Zero Trofeo R, a "streetable" track tire with a 60 wear rating and standard P Zero's with a 220 wear rating. This brings up the question what goes on the list and what doesn't? It apparently is not just the most aggressive tire from the manufacturer like you said. Maybe you should choose the classes of tire you want? While the official categories are not always that useful: Extreme vs Max Vs Ultra High performance are not all that clear cut for example, but targeting "streetable" R compounds, "competition" street tires (~200 tread wear), and high performance summer (300-350 tread wear) might give you a better range. And most of these should work at least OK on track (I have seen all season tires by contrast ruined in just a couple track sessions).

So streetable R compounds you have the Sport Cup 2 & Pirelli Corsa, but you don't have the Nitto NT01 or Toyo R888.

Competition street (200 treadwear) tires are missing the RE-71R, Hankook RS3, Dunlop Direzza ZII, Kumho XS, Yokahama ADVAN, etc.

PS - I have my own lists, and I can tell you they are hard to keep up to date and complete. Now I usually just target a size, and check Tire Rack to see what's available in that size.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I was in the process of doing the same thing. I just dropped that spreadsheet into my recycle bin. Thank you sir!

OP
OP
oesman

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
So you have both the P Zero Trofeo R, a "streetable" track tire with a 60 wear rating and standard P Zero's with a 220 wear rating. This brings up the question what goes on the list and what doesn't? It apparently is not just the most aggressive tire from the manufacturer like you said. Maybe you should choose the classes of tire you want? While the official categories are not always that useful: Extreme vs Max Vs Ultra High performance are not all that clear cut for example, but targeting "streetable" R compounds, "competition" street tires (~200 tread wear), and high performance summer (300-350 tread wear) might give you a better range. And most of these should work at least OK on track (I have seen all season tires by contrast ruined in just a couple track sessions).

So streetable R compounds you have the Sport Cup 2 & Pirelli Corsa, but you don't have the Nitto NT01 or Toyo R888.

Competition street (200 treadwear) tires are missing the RE-71R, Hankook RS3, Dunlop Direzza ZII, Kumho XS, Yokahama ADVAN, etc.
So this is why I did not include the Trofeo R in the "W+T" pdf. I do agree with you on that. I do have Sport Cup 2s in there and the Corsa. I think the Toyo R888 just doesn't fit the 19 GT PPs :(. I'll check out the rest though! Good points, thanks!

I do check Tire Rack but the problem is they don't carry Nitto for instance, and they don't cary a lot of sizes that can be ordered from a local dealer.