Limited-Edition Shelby GT350, GT350R Heritage Edition Package

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2021 Alpine A110
Well friends, the day has come. I'm booked in to drive Pacific Raceway this afternoon. It's a beautiful morning here in the PNW and I'm expecting temps to be in the low 40s. I was advised against using my Cup 2s, so will run on the PS4s.

I managed to squeeze in a track alignment at a local shop, I fitted my Caliperfexion studs to make pad and rotor changes easy, swapped in a set of Ferodo DSUNOs and I'm good to go.

I know the track fairly well, but I've tracked my Fiesta ST the last few years, so this is going to be a whole different experience. Telling myself over and over to take it easy out there!
Sponsored

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Well friends, the day has come. I'm booked in to drive Pacific Raceway this afternoon. It's a beautiful morning here in the PNW and I'm expecting temps to be in the low 40s. I was advised against using my Cup 2s, so will run on the PS4s.

I managed to squeeze in a track alignment at a local shop, I fitted my Caliperfexion studs to make pad and rotor changes easy, swapped in a set of Ferodo DSUNOs and I'm good to go.

I know the track fairly well, but I've tracked my Fiesta ST the last few years, so this is going to be a whole different experience. Telling myself over and over to take it easy out there!
Wow. What a day! The car was just incredible. Everything I was hoping it would be. Where to start?

The grip on the PS4s was really surprising. I didn't overdrive them and they would do 20-30 minutes without getting at all slippery. Tire wear seems really even. The camber settings seemed perfect - 2.1 front and 1.6 rear. A tiny bit of understeer at the limit, but such a nice balance.

I was grateful for the traction control. There were sections of the track that were a little cold and damp and it did a great job of catching little oversteer moments I had.

The magneride was sensational. The car corners so flat and there are parts of the track which are quite uneven and the car felt so controlled.

The brakes were phenomenal. It took me all day to pluck up the courage to do 140mph through the first turn, but the brakes were always there when I needed them. Easy to modulate, very well balanced and not a hint of fade. In fact, looking at the rotors at the end of the day, seems like they were in the perfect temperature range - nice blue streaks and even wear.

And the sound. And the revs. Man. Someone came over and commented it was the best sounding car there. He took some video he's going to send me. I actually got pulled over 5 miles from home partly because I was going a little fast, but mostly because the cop thought there was something wrong with my exhaust. I told him it's a brand new car and that's how it is and he was like, "nah there's no way that's stock". In the end I sat there and revved the car in the two modes to show him. He was like, "well I've learned something". Relieved I didn't get a ticket.

I have noticed a slight oil leak from what looks like the left side front oil cooler. I'll get the dealer to look at that.

Anyway. Perfect day and I'm blown away by this car. I was as fast as the fastest car in my group and for the first time out, I can't ask for more.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Wow. What a day! The car was just incredible. Everything I was hoping it would be. Where to start?

The grip on the PS4s was really surprising. I didn't overdrive them and they would do 20-30 minutes without getting at all slippery. Tire wear seems really even. The camber settings seemed perfect - 2.1 front and 1.6 rear. A tiny bit of understeer at the limit, but such a nice balance.

I was grateful for the traction control. There were sections of the track that were a little cold and damp and it did a great job of catching little oversteer moments I had.

The magneride was sensational. The car corners so flat and there are parts of the track which are quite uneven and the car felt so controlled.

The brakes were phenomenal. It took me all day to pluck up the courage to do 140mph through the first turn, but the brakes were always there when I needed them. Easy to modulate, very well balanced and not a hint of fade. In fact, looking at the rotors at the end of the day, seems like they were in the perfect temperature range - nice blue streaks and even wear.

And the sound. And the revs. Man. Someone came over and commented it was the best sounding car there. He took some video he's going to send me. I actually got pulled over 5 miles from home partly because I was going a little fast, but mostly because the cop thought there was something wrong with my exhaust. I told him it's a brand new car and that's how it is and he was like, "nah there's no way that's stock". In the end I sat there and revved the car in the two modes to show him. He was like, "well I've learned something". Relieved I didn't get a ticket.

I have noticed a slight oil leak from what looks like the left side front oil cooler. I'll get the dealer to look at that.

Anyway. Perfect day and I'm blown away by this car. I was as fast as the fastest car in my group and for the first time out, I can't ask for more.
How was the front end and steering?... well planted and good feedback?

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
How was the front end and steering?... well planted and good feedback?
It felt sharp and nimble. Steering ratio was just about perfect. I was also able to modulate the balance of the car with the throttle in a pretty instinctive way. I think it was Matt Farah who recently described it as a "momentum car" and I can see what he means. You can carry a lot of speed though a corner and really plant the throttle on exit.

Funnily enough one of the instructors remembered me from a year previous. He was like, "you've had an upgrade". We talked for a moment about the GT350 and he said he's driven one once and couldn't believe how good it was.

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
It felt sharp and nimble. Steering ratio was just about perfect. I was also able to modulate the balance of the car with the throttle in a pretty instinctive way. I think it was Matt Farah who recently described it as a "momentum car" and I can see what he means. You can carry a lot of speed though a corner and really plant the throttle on exit.

Funnily enough one of the instructors remembered me from a year previous. He was like, "you've had an upgrade". We talked for a moment about the GT350 and he said he's driven one once and couldn't believe how good it was.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Ben, very cool video and really like the road course configuration that you were on!

I used to attend a great deal of Division 6 NHRA racing events at SIR back in the 80's and 90's and wondering if this is the same racing complex that I spent so many days at including spending a half day with an idol of mine namely Pro Stock driving legend Bob Glidden?

It is my understanding that you did not utilize your Cup 2's and/or CF wheels during this event therefore suggest that once you get some warmer weather along with utilizing your Cup 2's and CF wheels during your next outing there is no question that you will notice an improvement in handling, braking and acceleration which obviously equates to improved lap times.

Aside from full throttle acceleration during this event what was the maximum RPM that you took your new engine up to?

Lastly, did you have to adjust your tire pressures for either the front or back during the event or just left them as they were from when you arrived?

Great stuff and congrats on a terrific first outing!!

:clap::clap:

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Ben, very cool video and really like the road course configuration that you were on!

I used to attend a great deal of Division 6 NHRA racing events at SIR back in the 80's and 90's and wondering if this is the same racing complex that I spent so many days at including spending a half day with an idol of mine namely Pro Stock driving legend Bob Glidden?

It is my understanding that you did not utilize your Cup 2's and/or CF wheels during this event therefore suggest that once you get some warmer weather along with utilizing your Cup 2's and CF wheels during your next outing there is no question that you will notice an improvement in handling, braking and acceleration which obviously equates to improved lap times.

Aside from full throttle acceleration during this event what was the maximum RPM that you took your new engine up to?

Lastly, did you have to adjust your tire pressures for either the front or back during the event or just left them as they were from when you arrived?

Great stuff and congrats on a terrific first outing!!

:clap::clap:
Yes this track used to be called SIR - it's now called Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA.

You're right. I was on my 20" Signature wheels with the Pilot Sport 4s. It was the right choice for the conditions. I can only imagine what it's like on the Cup 2s. Frankly I need a better harness than just the stock seatbelt. I ran with tire pressures around 35 hot so I did have to let some pressure out.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
No less than five (!) HEP Rs on eBay right now.
3 in NC, one in KS and one in TX.
anyone seen what one has actually traded for?

Sponsored

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much none of these cars have photos of the chassis numbers. Bah! Come on people!

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Ben, of the 5 cars that I looked at only 1 car did not list the chassis number.
A ha! I didn't realise eBay only shows a subset of photos in the preview. Good catch!

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Interesting to follow up on these eBay HEP-Rs.

1355 (950 miles) failed to meet reserve with a bid at $78,000
1576 (181 miles) no bids and didn't sell at $96,900. Relisted
2202 (new) sold at $89,095
2209 (new) had bids to $72,600 and has been relisted at $122,995
2587 (new) had bids to $87,400 and sold
2601 (new) didn't sell at $89,490
2605 (new) listing was canceled
2615 (new) had bids to $80,077 and didn't sell
Sponsored