HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Obviously you have no idea as to what it entails in order to take this initiative on and can tell you that I have a great deal of respect for @slingblade for taking this cool and historic replication on.
Why do you assume he was dissing Slingblade rather than just confessing he's a wuss willing to accept second best? :wink: <gdr>

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Obviously you have no idea as to what it entails in order to take this initiative on and can tell you that I have a great deal of respect for @slingblade for taking this cool and historic replication on.

Back in 1965 when the majority of the 562 GT350/R's were being assembled and built mostly at the Shelby American LAX location and with ~72% of those GT350's having their OTT stripes being painted at the Ford dealership level do you really think that all of those Ford dealerships got the exact Guardsman Blue OTT stripe color/tint as was intended and implemented by Ford for the 1964 Ford Falcon model?

Kudo's to this individual that had the balls to go out and try to replicate what for the most part took place back in 1965 at the SA LAX location and whatever the result I have the utmost respect for this individuals intentions!

Vinyl OTT stripes versus painted OTT stripes, each to their own but in my opinion it is not even close regarding the look and feel therefore it is my intent to hopefully replicate what the many Ford dealerships accomplished back in 1965 for the Shelby American GT350 cars.

:clap: :clap:
I don't really understand the point you are trying to make, other than to make yourself look pretentious. I do know what the initiative entails, which is why I stated my thoughts on the matter. You are only further reiterating the point I was making. I was not bashing anyone for deciding to get the stripes painted, I was stating that there is much more pain and hassle to get it done vs just leaving the vinyl stipes.

I have no idea what all of the different shades of color were or the exact number that had vinyl stripes, as I was not alive during the time and have only seen a couple of them in person. I do know that the Heritage Edition GT350 is still not a complete accurate replication. The GT350 stripes on the rocker panels are a different font and are a little bit different, they are not completely the same. I am glad and grateful that I was able to secure one for myself, the Heritage Edition GT350 is a very nice touch and I wouldn't want any other car. It is close enough for me so it doesn't bother me at all, I am not that anal when it comes to cars.

If you want to make it as close as possible to the original thats fine, the cars have sentimental value. I'd rather keep my vinyl stripes and not spend the money and time trying to get the stipes painted. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. Never had anyone look at my GT350 and scoff that I had vinyl stripes, and if someone did I wouldn't care because I have the keys and they won't be sitting in the drivers seat :)

Last edited:

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Some pics in actual daylight. It’s frustrating as the work is good and at some angles I could almost live with it. Just match the side stripes and call it a day. But it just isn’t right as in some angles you can really see how the side stripes just aren’t even close.
Just pull off the stickers and leave it blank IMO. The side vinyl doesn't work on this body style, especially since you have a badge directly above it that already says GT350.

Jasonsynaptic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Trying to decide between CS-21 Shelby wheels (smoke tint) and Signature wheels (which are 2-3X price but beautiful - already in contact with Terrance) for my new HEP R. Thoughts? Either way, what lug nuts do people recommend for after market wheels on the R? TPM sensors?

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I don't really understand the point you are trying to make, other than to make yourself look pretentious. I do know what the initiative entails, which is why I stated my thoughts on the matter. You are only further reiterating the point I was making. I was not bashing anyone for deciding to get the stripes painted, I was stating that there is much more pain and hassle to get it done vs just leaving the vinyl stipes.

I have no idea what all of the different shades of color were or the exact number that had vinyl stripes, as I was not alive during the time and have only seen a couple of them in person. I do know that the Heritage Edition GT350 is still not a complete accurate replication. The GT350 stripes on the rocker panels are a different font and are a little bit different, they are not completely the same. I am glad and grateful that I was able to secure one for myself, the Heritage Edition GT350 is a very nice touch and I wouldn't want any other car. It is close enough for me so it doesn't bother me at all, I am not that anal when it comes to cars.

If you want to make it as close as possible to the original thats fine, the cars have sentimental value. I'd rather keep my vinyl stripes and not spend the money and time trying to get the stipes painted. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. Never had anyone look at my GT350 and scoff that I had vinyl stripes, and if someone did I wouldn't care because I have the keys and they won't be sitting in the drivers seat :)
Not trying to be pretentious at all but merely pointing out how very little knowledge and lack of experience that you really have regarding the original Shelby GT350 cars with respect to painted OTT stripes and vinyl side stripes from back in the day and that was confirmed when you pointed out that you were not even around when these cars were first produced way back in late 1964 and in 1965.

Just curious why you are suggesting that vinyl stripes are easier to care for versus painted stripes? Have you ever had painted stripes in order to really know the difference between maintaining the two?

I get that Guardsman Blue OTT stripes are a specific color but if you think that all White stripes are very easy to replicate that is certainly not the case. You ever looked closely at some of the different Ford White paint such as Wimbledon White, Oxford White and Performance White?

If painting OTT stripes was such an easy painting process why did Ford sub this work out to Team Penske for the 2020 GT500's?

Just as @slingblade has spent a great deal of time with experienced body shop personnel discussing this process therefore so have I and it is not a simple as you might suggest.

Good luck with your Guardsman Blue or whatever color tow hook that you end up with!

:sunglasses:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to be pretentious at all but merely pointing out how very little knowledge and lack of experience that you really have regarding the original Shelby GT350 cars with respect to painted OTT stripes and vinyl side stripes from back in the day and that was confirmed when you pointed out that you were not even around when these cars were first produced way back in late 1964 and in 1965.

Just curious why you are suggesting that vinyl stripes are easier to care for versus painted stripes? Have you ever had painted stripes in order to really know the difference between maintaining the two?

I get that Guardsman Blue OTT stripes are a specific color but if you think that all White stripes are very easy to replicate that is certainly not the case. You ever looked closely at some of the different Ford White paint such as Wimbledon White, Oxford White and Performance White?

If painting OTT stripes was such an easy painting process why did Ford sub this work out to Team Penske for the 2020 GT500's?

Just as @slingblade has spent a great deal of time with experienced body shop personnel discussing this process therefore so have I and it is not a simple as you might suggest.

Good luck with your Guardsman Blue or whatever color tow hook that you end up with!

:sunglasses:
Pointing out what? That the majority had painted stripes instead of vinyl? That was you, I did not mention anything about the original GT350s, that was you going off on a historical tangent. I was discussing the pros and cons of vinyl stripes vs painted stripes, not about the tradition of painted stripes on the GT350, or if GT350s with vinyl stripes were subpar.

The topic of vinyl vs painted stripes has been discussed all around this website. So unless you are a subject matter expert, I don't see why your opinion reigns high above everyone else.

So now I'm saying that painting stirpes is a simple process? Lol, okay dude. You are construing my words into a false argument just so that you can inundate information that doesn't even pertain to my original point, because reasons.

But please, continue to do so if that's what helps you get off, it doesn't bother me at all when I see pretentious comments. I do not have a fragile ego.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trying to decide between CS-21 Shelby wheels (smoke tint) and Signature wheels (which are 2-3X price but beautiful - already in contact with Terrance) for my new HEP R. Thoughts? Either way, what lug nuts do people recommend for after market wheels on the R? TPM sensors?
I saw some videos and some previous posts about it.

I think this is what you are looking for, and if not, should at least help

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, Stoneham Ford in Stoneham Ma has a GT350HEP on order build date 12/01/20
01AA85C6-3322-4A48-8412-04C743DFE095.png

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Pointing out what? That the majority had painted stripes instead of vinyl? That was you, I did not mention anything about the original GT350s, that was you going off on a historical tangent. I was discussing the pros and cons of vinyl stripes vs painted stripes, not about the tradition of painted stripes on the GT350, or if GT350s with vinyl stripes were subpar.

The topic of vinyl vs painted stripes has been discussed all around this website. So unless you are a subject matter expert, I don't see why your opinion reigns high above everyone else.

So now I'm saying that painting stirpes is a simple process? Lol, okay dude. You are construing my words into a false argument just so that you can inundate information that doesn't even pertain to my original point, because reasons.

But please, continue to do so if that's what helps you get off, it doesn't bother me at all when I see pretentious comments. I do not have a fragile ego.
Don't take it personal, lol.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Same time of day, different angles

15EA6283-FC24-4EFB-81B3-2FE3D71B3042.jpeg
This one looks really close to the Ken MIles restored GT350 5S002 in color when it is in direct sunlight but you're right. When you compare it to the original side stripe it is far darker. Although, I don't see a green or gray tint to the Ken MIles stripes. If you run into a roadblock with R&A, Billips Restoration in Oklahoma just restored 5S003 so they would have the paint code for the Guardsman Blue stripes.

BB113ThH.jpg

BB113NQ1.jpg

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

For someone that doesn't have a fragile ego you certainly have lots to say despite having very little knowledge or admittedly much experience with Mustang or Shelby American.

Just curious how many Mustangs have you had over the years and how long have you been involved with Ford and Mustang?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For someone that doesn't have a fragile ego you certainly have lots to say despite having very little knowledge or admittedly much experience with Mustang or Shelby American.

Just curious how many Mustangs have you had over the years and how long have you been involved with Ford and Mustang?
What do I have 'lots to say'? That its easier to just leave the vinyl stripes on than to get them painted? Lol, I really do have a lot to say then. I guess I need to own a bunch Mustangs and be a Ford fanatic before coming to that conclusion.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

What difference does it make? The man has an opinion and deserves to share it just like anyone else. You don't need to have been born in 1914 to have an opinion about how stripes look.
Stop ruining a perfectly good thread.
Sponsored