Limited-Edition Shelby GT350, GT350R Heritage Edition Package

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I won't argue the quality of a Mustang as a car model. I anticipated some quality and materials issues when I purchased my Shelby. I was happily surprised I had little to be disappointed about.

However, my thoughts are more of the state of the business at Ford. Keep in mind there were plant shut downs for COVID, plants realigned for COVID appliance production, employees furloughed and infected. That had to affect the efficiency and quality when they restarted. Further, Ford has huge money issues. They admit they bungled the Exploder launch with quality issues. And the past 2 model years of Mustangs have been snagged, paused and delayed with parts issues. Mustang & Shelby pipepline and delivery has been bungled for over a year and a half. ALL companies in crunch mode, especially financially, will cut corners. And those cut corners almost always start in QA, then R&D and eventually operations. If Ford may be lying on their laurels because of the Mustang's strong brand as they are shifting focus on the next gen. And if Ford bungles the new F150 launch, they might lose that most successful truck position.

OP - sorry for the disappointment that delivery brought upon you. Not right, but they are cosmetic and your dealer claims to make it right. That can be done and the rewards of the Voodoo can make that bad taste fade. I hope you do not give up just yet.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I think the build quality from 2015 MY to the present to the 2020 GT350 is probably about the same. One thing I have noticed between the 2013 MY and my current 19 GT350 is metal thickness of the body panels. I sometimes used to lean on the side of my 2013 when filling it with gas. Seemed pretty sturdy. The first time I did this with the new 2019 the fender deflected in as I leaned against it! I know this is not a scientific study, but the strength of the 2019 fender was not nearly as substantial as my 13 GT350. I think Ford reduced the thickness of the panels of the newer 2015+ model years and it's probably the same with all Mustang models from 2015 forward. My hood alignment on the GT350 is off a little with the front fenders (this is also a common complaint from other owners). Some folks have had it realigned and some just leave it. My 2007, 2011, and 2013's hoods all lined up nicely. as did the doors to side panels etc. I've noticed that the black, plastic trunk panel with the Cobra emblem on it, is not as scratch proof as was my 2013's panel. I use the same method of cleaning and polishing it as I did on my 2013, yet it doesn't seem to be adverse to showing light road related scratches. All in all the 2015 and forward cars seem to have been "cheaped down" a bit by Ford. I rarely had any mechanic issues with my past Mustangs yet the 2019 had a rear differential cooling line that was leaking oil when I took delivery. When the rear panel was removed the technician found it was not even finger tight and leaking! He re-tightened it and all was good. My shifter mechanism took a dump at about 2K miles and it was back-ordered for months!! I ended up buying an MGW shifter and the dealer installed it for free. Ford's new up-dated shifter showed up two months later! I'm just saying that although I really enjoy my new GT350 and it's been great, so far, I think the overall quality on the cosmetic side of the Mustangs has dissipated beginning with 2015. And reference the new 2020 GT500 price, when the basic options we all want on a performance car are added on, you're looking at over a hundred grand or more. A fully tricked out 2020 GT350R is well below that price and has all the options that Ford tacks onto the GT500.
I'd also agree that the OP's car is not indicative of what we see in most Mustangs. My paint is quite nice on my white GT350. With the Covid 19 issues, maybe things are falling through the cracks at Flat Rock. I'm just glad my motor is solid!
That is an interesting observation about the possibility of the body panels being thinner on your 2019 GT350 than your 2013 GT500?

I had numerous 2012/2013 Boss 302's and when I purchased my 2015 GT350 I still had one of my Boss cars in my garage and did not notice any difference in metal thickness but you could be correct on that issue and would be interesting to have someone measure the body panel thickness on a GT350 compared to some of the cars from the 2012/2013 timeline and see what they come up with?

Yes, a fully loaded 2020 GT500 CFTP 2 seat car will come in at ~$106,500 but if you delete the $10,000 OTT stripe painted option and the $18,500 CFTP option it would put a well optioned 4 seat GT500 at around the same price of a fully loaded HEP R model which would come in at ~$79,500.

Could you imagine someone optioning out a 2020 GT500 CFTP at ~$106,500 which of course would include the $10,000 OTT painted stripe option and then having your car arrive in the condition that the OP's was in?

That would certainly be a hard pill to swallow!

Lastly, as you mentioned possibly the COVID-19 issue is having some sort of effect with respect to quality issues on the assembly line but hard to really know for sure.

:sunglasses:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That is an interesting observation about the possibility of the body panels being thinner on your 2019 GT350 than your 2013 GT500?

I had numerous 2012/2013 Boss 302's and when I purchased my 2015 GT350 I still had one of my Boss cars in my garage and did not notice any difference in metal thickness but you could be correct on that issue and would be interesting to have someone measure the body panel thickness on a GT350 compared to some of the cars from the 2012/2013 timeline and see what they come up with?

Yes, a fully loaded 2020 GT500 CFTP 2 seat car will come in at ~$106,500 but if you delete the $10,000 OTT stripe painted option and the $18,500 CFTP option it would put a well optioned 4 seat GT500 at around the same price of a fully loaded HEP R model which would come in at ~$79,500.

Could you imagine someone optioning out a 2020 GT500 CFTP at ~$106,500 which of course would include the $10,000 OTT painted stripe option and then having your car arrive in the condition that the OP's was in?

That would certainly be a hard pill to swallow!

Lastly, as you mentioned possibly the COVID-19 issue is having some sort of effect with respect to quality issues on the assembly line but hard to really know for sure.

Actually it's $107,080 plus tax title and ADM. When it arrives with damage, you just get it fixed on Fords dime.

Nobody wants a car to arrive with shipping damage or manufacturing defects. Face it, its a mustang built on the same line as all the other mustangs.

Apparently some have taken offense to my previous comments. As much as some dont want to hear it, the HEP is built on the same line as any other mustang. There are no extra QC that goes into them and you can expect the same fit and finish as a mustang, mustang GT, GT350, and GT350R. If your car arrives and its not perfect, the Ford warranty process will take care of it.

So, I dont wish to beat on the folks who so eagerly anticipate the arrival of the wonderful HEP cars that they are. Yes, they are just another R, but they are unique. I can understand someone being upset when their baby arrives damaged.

No hard feelings.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The prior discussion about Ford vs Porsche is kinda silly as it relates to Q/C and customer service.
Owning a GT350 and a Porsche, I experience both service departments and their handling of customers, as well as attention to detail.
At Ford, you bought a 70K vehicle and they still treat you as though you just purchased a Fusion for half the price... they are NOT geared to treat the customers with Porsche over-the-top silly-ness. It's a Ford and get in line... we'll fix your problem.
I have no problem with that... I know what I bought and I don't expect anything extra.

At the Porsche dealership, it is a whole different story, The fit/finish is obviously superior. I have an 80K vehicle and it is the LOWER tier in their hierarchy... I'm CHUM with an 80K vehicle. But they suck up to their customers because oftentimes their customers will purchase vehicles that are 250K.

Two totally different companies with two totally different mindsets................. I like my GT350 more than I like my faster Cayman!!!!!!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Actually it's $107,080 plus tax title and ADM. When it arrives with damage, you just get it fixed on Fords dime.

Nobody wants a car to arrive with shipping damage or manufacturing defects. Face it, its a mustang built on the same line as all the other mustangs.

Apparently some have taken offense to my previous comments. As much as some dont want to hear it, the HEP is built on the same line as any other mustang. There are no extra QC that goes into them and you can expect the same fit and finish as a mustang, mustang GT, GT350, and GT350R. If your car arrives and its not perfect, the Ford warranty process will take care of it.

So, I dont wish to beat on the folks who so eagerly anticipate the arrival of the wonderful HEP cars that they are. Yes, they are just another R, but they are unique. I can understand someone being upset when their baby arrives damaged.

No hard feelings.
Appreciate the education as would have never known none of this and as usual you have all of the answers which is always very helpful.

:like::like:

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would think Ford would just set the poorly painted Mustang aside and produce a better quality Mustang for the customer. Ford could use the poorly painted car in their driving school.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I won't argue the quality of a Mustang as a car model. I anticipated some quality and materials issues when I purchased my Shelby. I was happily surprised I had little to be disappointed about.

However, my thoughts are more of the state of the business at Ford. Keep in mind there were plant shut downs for COVID, plants realigned for COVID appliance production, employees furloughed and infected. That had to affect the efficiency and quality when they restarted. Further, Ford has huge money issues. They admit they bungled the Exploder launch with quality issues. And the past 2 model years of Mustangs have been snagged, paused and delayed with parts issues. Mustang & Shelby pipepline and delivery has been bungled for over a year and a half. ALL companies in crunch mode, especially financially, will cut corners. And those cut corners almost always start in QA, then R&D and eventually operations. If Ford may be lying on their laurels because of the Mustang's strong brand as they are shifting focus on the next gen. And if Ford bungles the new F150 launch, they might lose that most successful truck position.

OP - sorry for the disappointment that delivery brought upon you. Not right, but they are cosmetic and your dealer claims to make it right. That can be done and the rewards of the Voodoo can make that bad taste fade. I hope you do not give up just yet.
Agreed. I ordered my 2019 in early February 2019. It was built in March w/o a steering wheel because the Mexican vendor that produced the steering wheels went on strike. that set back all production of GT350s for months. Then it was held, again, due to a faulty part in the shifter mechanism, then a problem with stripe availability! In mid-July I had the dealer do a search for a similar optioned car for me and within a few days, he found one, DX'd it to his dealership, and I had an early production one within a week. Other than the previously stated issues, it's been great. My original order showed up at the end of July, filthy, and with stripe bubbling issues. Glad I dodged that bullet!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Appreciate the education as would have never known none of this and as usual you have all of the answers which is always very helpful.

:like::like:
Thanks Harry. Don't cut yourself short. You are the answer guy around here and the place wouldnt be the same withoit you. Enjoy the HEP and keep doing what you do best.

GT Intl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
GT350R Heritage Edition, Ferrari F430, Dodge Challenger Hellcat, Triumph GT6, Triumph TR4, Gen 1 Raptor, Mercedes G Wagon, Etc
Holy cow--I can't believe this. Such a bummer. Clearly the people putting these together--and management for sure--are not car guys. If they were, they would not let this lack of quality happen. If these were truly a Heritage Edition--this wouldn't be happening. And so much for being limited edition--appears they are cranking out as many as they can.

You think Ford would do a better job at this price point instead of the quality control of a Pinto.
Well, arrived today. GM called me and he was less than thrilled. Sent me some pics. Said the fit and finish is not good, but will make FMC fix it.

im not sure what to do now...

build is 22 btw. Off by one.
1E5D458D-98BA-4435-8870-93BA7460A4D3.jpeg
3E1677F4-6432-4E60-B015-FD81DAECB2E1.jpeg
47BCDF34-CD72-45FF-A14D-77D2C8921B74.jpeg
AF767C4A-4FF2-4FFA-B428-F3EEA0E20EF6.jpeg
46E864FE-7362-4739-B6A9-58F291F72CCA.jpeg
33F91E9F-9A2E-46FC-8DD8-2CA3A7170740.jpeg
Well, arrived today. GM called me and he was less than thrilled. Sent me some pics. Said the fit and finish is not good, but will make FMC fix it.

I just took delivery of mine (023) last Tuesday. Overall the car isn’t bad. Minor yet typical inherent flaws (rear bumper cover symmetry being the most evident). The dealer did a good job catching a chip in the right rear wheel and immediately ordered and installed a replacement. Could Ford do a better job with QC? Absolutely. My feeling is that $80k is a lot of cash for this car but then again it’s a lot of car for $80k. I think it’s a decent value. So far (150 miles) I’m loving it!
Let the dealer tech go over your list of gripes and give them an opportunity to address them. Once you drive it, some of those annoying flaws will magically disappear!

SHELBY65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
julian
Vehicle(s)
SHELBY 350R,SHELBY 500GT TRACK, RAPTOR,DODGE DEMON, FERRARI ENZO, 360 STRADALE,,94 TURBO S , 79 TURBO ,
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t expect concourse level paint or fitment but this is the 21st century and this is basic stuff. My $17k corolla had no issues. I would expect this if I had the car painted at maaco not from a factory with modern equipment. They feel its acceptable to ask $10,000 for painted stripes on the GT 500 but they can’t even do basic paint prep. The HEP cars seem to have it the worst. Here’s another one.

00570DE8-B88B-4E36-97B0-D615C7C604FD.png

This is a problem. My 2018 was a BUY BACK because the car came with 5 different shades of orange paint . The car had 3 paint adjustments at dealer before I got it delivered to me. I also found out that the car had been repainted at the factory also.
Im buying my car now with the money from the 18 Shelby R.
I certainly get and appreciate what you are saying and would like to provide you with some of my thoughts.

Like you I have purchased many new Mustangs over the years including GT350/R's from 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and also have a 2020 R model on order.

Personally I see absolutely no difference in build quality between my 2015 GT350 and my 2018 GT350R and would like to understand what concerns that you had/have with your 2019 GT350?

Aside from the 2015 MY the FRAP will have assembled ~27,000 GT350/R's when the dust settles therefore there continues to be a huge demand for these great cars and suggest if the build quality was so bad on these Shelby's that enthusiasts such as you and I would not continue to purchase them.

Having said that and for one of our members to suggest that the pictures posted by @Dubbsfaris which reflects very poor paint, fit, finish and body panel gap and that we should come to expect this type of workmanship and that we should be satisfied with this level of quality in spite of what we pay for these cars is very difficult to comprehend.

As far as base line Mustangs being produced with our GT350's and GT500's nowadays that is certainly no different than what took place with your 2013 GT500 at the FRAP back in 2012.

With respect to high priced 2020 GT500's having some of the same issues as @Dubbsfaris has on his hands I was not aware of that and it should be noted that the MSRP for a base 2020 GT500 is actually less than a base 2020 GT350R.

Based on having purchased ~20 new Mustangs since the 2008 MY I have only had one Mustang arrive whereby the body panel fit was not up to par and it was dealt with by Ford just as this 2020 R in question will be dealt with in the same manner.

I would suggest that the GT350R HEP in question is not indicative for all 2020 Mustang models coming off the FRAP when it comes to paint, fit, finish and body panel gaps but also must say that this HEP R should have never made it out of the FRAP in this condition and luckily the GM of the Ford dealership in question also seems to agree.

40.jpg
JR157-2.jpg
I can tell you from experience that quality control on these cars has been an issue. I have a 2018 being bought back now for paint issues.
its been approved and if you like I can post all the paperwork on this website. It has been a headache but at the end FORD did the right thing.

My 18 had a bunch of issues, passenger door drips of paint , rear quarter panel , rear bumper had to be repainted at Sanderson Ford, which I found out later the car came like that from factory.Sanderson couldn't believe it . then the car in the shade showed 5-6 different shades of orange color.
A disaster of a problem . This should not be happening again .

Sponsored

SHELBY65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
julian
Vehicle(s)
SHELBY 350R,SHELBY 500GT TRACK, RAPTOR,DODGE DEMON, FERRARI ENZO, 360 STRADALE,,94 TURBO S , 79 TURBO ,
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Harry. Don't cut yourself short. You are the answer guy around here and the place wouldnt be the same withoit you. Enjoy the HEP and keep doing what you do best.
I strongly AGREE

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Harry is awesome can’t say enough about him. The expertise and knowledge that he provides about these cars is outstanding.
Jason, congratulations on your upcoming new ride as it is going to be pretty cool and appreciate your kind words.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
MY DEALER IN NM STILL HAS TIME TO GET A NON-R HEP ORDER IN.
MSRP.
PM ME IF SERIOUSLY INTERESTED.
As far as I know a Western Canada dealership still has their GT350 HEP still available at MSRP as well!
Sponsored