Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You could take out the supercharger engine and all the auxiliaries. And put in a 5.2l fpc engine:like:

Would save weight
I already have a base R for that, but thanks for the great idea.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would just use the Watson cage. It's a good cage, and you can spend a ton of dough to save 10-20 lbs and get something that functionally won't be any better. It's not like you are going to lose prize money if you are half a second slower on your lap times.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would just use the Watson cage. It's a good cage, and you can spend a ton of dough to save 10-20 lbs and get something that functionally won't be any better. It's not like you are going to lose prize money if you are half a second slower on your lap times.
Yes, thanks. I agree the Watson cage is the cage of choice, but again, its heavy. Another option is don't put the cage in, and focus my efforts on making the car lighter where I can. I assume it is heavy for a reason..... Watson makes some pretty good stuff for race applications and if it didn't have to be that heavy, I'm sure it wouldn't be. I spoke to their engineering department way back when I installed it with a few questions, maybe it might be worth talking to them again about a light weight alternative. I like the additional safety factory and having harnesses, but again, its a hit on weight and performance.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I believe their 4pt is .120 mild steel, but if you got their 6pt, but didn't use the front bars it would be lighter as it's .083 chromoly.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Thank you. If we were talking 40 pounds for a bolt in, that would be one thing, but the GT500 is already weight challenged right out of the gate (based upon internet speculation). I was hoping there was an off the shelf solution. I can't and won't throw a 75 pound bolt in cage into a car that's already probably going to be on the heavier side of things.

I guess the only thing is to start looking at weight reduction methods, such as removing seats, lithium battery, etc.
At this point, just get a Mustang GT4 if you want a track car.
Are the tracks you'll be hitting ovals only?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Would look classy too.
rollbar.jpg

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
Cap the ends and fill it with Helium!

But seriously, a cage is a safety device. When you need it, I guarantee the last thing that will be on your mind is how heavy it is.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
But seriously, a cage is a safety device. When you need it, I guarantee the last thing that will be on your mind is how heavy it is.
This,

Motorcycles are arguably my biggest passion, and I didn't care about the weight of my gear when I clipped a deer on a twisty favorite road one evening.....neither did the ambulance and ER crew.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I just wish the cooltech rollbar was still available.....