Lightweight (42 Pounds!) Watson 4 point Roll Cage Group Buy

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Edited to add:
I was contacted by Watson today and was given some very exciting news. The lightweight roll cage that I tasked Watson to create from chromoly steel weighted in at 42 pounds!

They are now in the process of shipping and on their way to all who have supplied payment. There are a few left over and if you are interested, let me know and I will put you in contact with Watson. This is a one off run that was designed and engineered by the best in the business. Anyone who was on the fence before awaiting final weight should be all over this now.

I bought 2.

Edited to add:

I just got off the phone with Watson Racing. We talked about building a lightweight 4 point roll cage made out of cromolly tubing. In essence, something like the 6pt cage that Watson manufacturers but with the forward/side bar delete. I indicated that the interest would be for 10 units. I have been contacted by a few members expressing interest already and I am in as well.

Edited to add, I was told the cage would weigh on at about 50#. This is a significant weight savings over the standard DOM steel 4pt cage. Pricing is set at $1250 plus shipping.

If you are interested, reply to this thread with your intentions.

So far, the list is as follows:
A total of 10 units so far...….

The more the merrier, we are not limited to 10 units.

@Tomster IN
@Tomster IN
@5.2 liters of democracy IN
@US HWY 666 IN
@battousai (depending on pricing)
@sum1 IN
@madlag (in - waiting on confirmation)
@Onyx IN
@mikeD4V IN
@ecoboost321 IN

Also, it was asked of me what colors would we want. I mentioned for pricing that standard colors would be fine. If anybody wants any kind of special color, please advise. That would be extra depending on the color. I know that there is an upcharge for the race red color when you buy their cages online. I would be getting black and red.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took the Watson roll cage out of one of my R models in preparation of trading it in for the new GT500 CFTP. That thing weighs a ton. I could put it on the scale, but its probably every bit of 75 pounds.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Titanium would be only a few lbs lighter, but a couple catches. It's not an accepted material by sanctioning bodies, extremely expensive, it's a bitch to weld especially in the tight spaces, and can't be bent like chromoly or mild steel for roll cage purposes only mandrel bent or very slight bends, large bends it deforms badly. I believe the watson bolt in is mild steel? Chromoly would save quite a few lbs over ms.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I plan to track the car, but the last thing I want to do is add almost another 100#.

South40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Lincoln, 2013 Ford Raptor
I plan to track the car, but the last thing I want to do is add almost another 100#.
You might check into T45 steel. From what I’ve read it is twice as strong as CDS steel and you can use thinner wall tubing. I don’t know anything about building roll bars or steel. That’s just what the internet says, and it is always true.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You might check into T45 steel. From what I’ve read it is twice as strong as CDS steel and you can use thinner wall tubing. I don’t know anything about building roll bars or steel. That’s just what the internet says, and it is always true.
Thank you. If we were talking 40 pounds for a bolt in, that would be one thing, but the GT500 is already weight challenged right out of the gate (based upon internet speculation). I was hoping there was an off the shelf solution. I can't and won't throw a 75 pound bolt in cage into a car that's already probably going to be on the heavier side of things.

I guess the only thing is to start looking at weight reduction methods, such as removing seats, lithium battery, etc.

South40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Lincoln, 2013 Ford Raptor
Thank you. If we were talking 40 pounds for a bolt in, that would be one thing, but the GT500 is already weight challenged right out of the gate (based upon internet speculation). I was hoping there was an off the shelf solution. I can't and won't throw a 75 pound bolt in cage into a car that's already probably going to be on the heavier side of things.

I guess the only thing is to start looking at weight reduction methods, such as removing seats, lithium battery, etc.
This one is 52 pounds.
https://competitionmotorsport.com/c...MI2vrah56u4wIVmbrACh3A4AipEAQYAiABEgKBlfD_BwE

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You can get a custom one made out of chromoly.
Yes, I had considered that. I guess really I should wait for the weight specifications to come from Ford. If it's going to be a 4000# CFTP, there isn't any way I'm going to add another 75 pounds to that. I was just putting out the feelers to see if there was another option.

Sponsored

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Yes, I had considered that. I guess really I should wait for the weight specifications to come from Ford. If it's going to be a 4000# CFTP, there isn't any way I'm going to add another 75 pounds to that. I was just putting out the feelers to see if there was another option.
Well Gt350 is 3760 from Ford Specs, If I had to guess the Gt500 will come in at 3950. I dont think they will put a 4 In front of the weight.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Well Gt350 is 3760 from Ford Specs, If I had to guess the Gt500 will come in at 3950. I dont think they will put a 4 In front of the weight.
Yep that's about what I figured. Throw a 75 pound roll cage in there and it will have a 4 in front of it.....

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Yep that's about what I figured. Throw a 75 pound roll cage in there and it will have a 4 in front of it.....
Yup, I would build a custom bar if you are worried about weight.
It is not any harder than building a Full cage, I would go with Chromoly over Ti.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yup, I would build a custom bar if you are worried about weight.
It is not any harder than building a Full cage, I would go with Chromoly over Ti.
Thank You. Catch you at Daytona.