Sponsored

Light smoke/fume oil cap

Xavierviana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2015
Hi,

I have very light smoke/fume coming from oil filler when removing oil cap (after normal driving 180-190 cylinder degrees). (Engine off)

Normal for s550? Do you experience the same?

Based on my research it’s normal on most gasoline cars/trucks.

Any comment would be appreciated, thanks.

XV
Sponsored

Bigstang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red EB
Hi,

I have very light smoke/fume coming from oil filler when removing oil cap (after normal driving 180-190 cylinder degrees). (Engine off)

Normal for s550? Do you experience the same?

Based on my research it’s normal on most gasoline cars/trucks.

Any comment would be appreciated, thanks.

XV
I know old thread but curious what was the issue with your car? I have a 16 Ecoboost that I noticed has the same issue. Smoke out of oil cap. Went for a oil change and noticed it when the cap came off.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Depending on how much smoke is coming out, it's normal. Especially if you don't have a catch can to catch the vapors.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Any vapors vent thru the PCV valve whether you have a catch can or not. And yes, if you open the oil cap with the engine fully hot, it's normal to see 'smoke'. Just don't open the cap when engine is hot:crazy:.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Any vapors vent thru the PCV valve whether you have a catch can or not. And yes, if you open the oil cap with the engine fully hot, it's normal to see 'smoke'. Just don't open the cap when engine is hot:crazy:.
Well, yes they vent through the PCV but the vapors are caught by the catch can (if you have one). If not, they're either burnt or accumulated and then deposited in the manifold or another part of the engine.

Sponsored

Bigstang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red EB
haha :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah, it's pretty normal ... all oil vaporizes to some extent when hot at 200+ F. Use oil with a lower Noack value (ie, doesn't vaporize as much when fully hot).
Sponsored