Sponsored

light metal clicking sound from front driver side

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
There is a metal clicking sound from front driver side in my car when driving over uneven surfaces. I've been having this issue for a year and been to the dealer three times trying to fix it. All three times the technicians could not hear the sound. (may because the pavement around the dealer is quite smooth.) One of them was kind enough to check all the bolts in the hood but couldn't find anything.
It sounds like a light weight metal part become really loose and hit things when bumped. I think the sound source is quit close to the cabin, maybe even close to the driver side air vent. Happens from time to time and is very annoying.
Does any of you ever had similar issue or have any ideas what should be checked?
Thanks!
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For noises, you have to stay at the dealer and demonstrate the sound to the foreman. Otherwise, unless you're very lucky or the noise is brutally obvious always, they'll say they don't hear it (because they actually don't or because they don't want to deal with it).

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The left end dash bezel is known to rattle. You can pull it off and apply flocking tape to the clips, and some to the opening where the headlight switch snaps into.
Thank you for the info. For my case the sound source seems to be deeper inside the dash, and sounds like two metal parts clicking.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting!

So, for a better description of the sound, would you say it almost sounds like a single key tapping against metal or even better, say like aluminum "dog tags" clinking together?

I am pretty certain you and I may have the same annoying f'ing sound...

IMO, it almost sounds like the noise is coming from under the dash, nearest to the steering column. I've tried crawling under the driver side dash area and poking around, but hard to really see under there, even with driver seat moved all the way to rearward position.

I hear the noise as you stated - it occurs on road imperfections, it's sporadic, it does not occur all the time and it's very difficult to replicate it "on demand". Sometimes even on same road surfaces with imperfections there may not be any noise whatsoever...

It's definitely INSIDE the cabin area and most definitely somewhere nearest the driver side, but exactly where and exactly what is causing the noise is beyond me (so far).

I have not tried it, but I want to hit the actual metal steering column (under dash) or driver side floor with a rubber mallet to see if by doing so, the "clinking" will make itself present.

I've not had the time to do that type of test technique...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Interesting!

So, for a better description of the sound, would you say it almost sounds like a single key tapping against metal or even better, say like aluminum "dog tags" clinking together?

I am pretty certain you and I may have the same annoying f'ing sound...

IMO, it almost sounds like the noise is coming from under the dash, nearest to the steering column. I've tried crawling under the driver side dash area and poking around, but hard to really see under there, even with driver seat moved all the way to rearward position.

I hear the noise as you stated - it occurs on road imperfections, it's sporadic, it does not occur all the time and it's very difficult to replicate it "on demand". Sometimes even on same road surfaces with imperfections there may not be any noise whatsoever...

It's definitely INSIDE the cabin area and most definitely somewhere nearest the driver side, but exactly where and exactly what is causing the noise is beyond me (so far).

I have not tried it, but I want to hit the actual metal steering column (under dash) or driver side floor with a rubber mallet to see if by doing so, the "clinking" will make itself present.

I've not had the time to do that type of test technique...
YES YES YES EXACTLY!!! It's very tricky to reproduce on demand but just annoys you from time to time. Last time I went to service my car I asked them to check inside the dash penal. They said it wasn't easy and would take long time. I didn't have time to wait last time. I want to bug them again on this issue next week. I will let you know if I can have any luck on this.

Kclyatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the same except from the passenger side and especially during turns with uneven pavement. Its not a strut mount clunk noise but a metallic rattle somewhere in the door area.

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
To report back:
After leaving my car at the dealer for a few days, they figured out my front suspension strut bearing failed, and believed it was the reason for the clicking noise. So they replaced the bearing under my car's warranty. I did feel my car's steering a bit loose when turning over uneven surfaces for nearly a year. Previous check on suspension show everything was OK, so I thought I was just too paranoid.
After got my car back and driving it for a few days, the car's steering definitely feel tighter, and the clicking sound is nearly all gone. Yes I can still hear a very slight metal clicking occasionally when driving over uneven surface, but it's really minimal and requires a special attention. I would be way too captious to send the car back and ask them to work on it again. I would call it case closed.
The funny thing is, somehow, my borla exhaust's minor vibration when idling and resonance when partial throttle acceleration at a certain rpm are now all gone. Before the strut bearing repair, I had got underneath the car numerous times tweaking the installation to remove the issues but had no success. I don't know if the dealer helped my exhaust issue out of kindness, or if the exhaust issue is somehow linked to a failed strut bearing. Anyway, I can't be happier with this extra bonus.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
To report back:
After leaving my car at the dealer for a few days, they figured out my front suspension strut bearing failed, and believed it was the reason for the clicking noise. So they replaced the bearing under my car's warranty. I did feel my car's steering a bit loose when turning over uneven surfaces for nearly a year. Previous check on suspension show everything was OK, so I thought I was just too paranoid.
After got my car back and driving it for a few days, the car's steering definitely feel tighter, and the clicking sound is nearly all gone. Yes I can still hear a very slight metal clicking occasionally when driving over uneven surface, but it's really minimal and requires a special attention. I would be way too captious to send the car back and ask them to work on it again. I would call it case closed.
The funny thing is, somehow, my borla exhaust's minor vibration when idling and resonance when partial throttle acceleration at a certain rpm are now all gone. Before the strut bearing repair, I had got underneath the car numerous times tweaking the installation to remove the issues but had no success. I don't know if the dealer helped my exhaust issue out of kindness, or if the exhaust issue is somehow linked to a failed strut bearing. Anyway, I can't be happier with this extra bonus.
I a having a very similar issue except mine is RPM dependent, was yours as well?

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6

Sman123321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost
Hate to bump such an old thread, but my new 2022 ecoboost 10spd has this same "rattle" (sounds more like a loose washer tapping against metal). Same thing, it sounds like its coming from behind the dash / steering column.

Its typically only heard on bumpy roads. Smooth highway driving it's silent.

I can replicate the sound by literally shifting my body weight while sitting in the car and you can hear the "ting, ting, ting". Its definitely something loose or hitting something because you can hear this even when the car is off.

Has anyone else had this issue and come to a resolution? I really dont want to resort to taking the car to the dealer or disasembling it my self.
Sponsored