Sponsored

License plate screw threads (stolen license plate)

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Was it stolen from your home residence or out in a public lot?

If home - time to invest in a camera system.

If stolen from a public lot - did the lot or any store front have cameras to track back?
At first, I thought it was at home, because that's where I noticed. I was really excited, because she sleeps in the garage, the door hadn't been open long, and I do have security cameras! I was going to have proof! But then I remembered it had last been parked down at the local brewery which is in a bad neighborhood, backed in to the back row of parking. They don't have cameras and they probably wouldn't have helped, since I was backed in.
Sponsored

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If plate screws were in the bumper at the dealership, then the dealer "de-virginized" the bumper. There are little dimples in the front bumper and semi-formed holes in the rear bumper, and what they do is just drive the screws into the plastic bumper to make threads.

My GT had one of the RH side rear plate hole semi-stripped out because some clown at the dealer probably used a power tool to drive the screws in and over tightened one. Also see how the idiot couldn't even hit the LH hole until the 3rd try !!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19983
I wouldn't have taken delivery if they'd screwed into my front bumper, even if I lived in a state where I needed one.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Was it stolen from your home residence or out in a public lot?

If home - time to invest in a camera system.

If stolen from a public lot - did the lot or any store front have cameras to track back?
What would you do then do with the video? Its not like the police are going to investigate it (too minor).

Sponsored

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My local Lowe's hardware store had similar as I described in post #26 above. Also carried the special Torx bit to work with the security screws.
Home depot didn't but Lowe's did for me. Spent more on the screws&tool than the replacement tag. Of course, the original was a custom plate that said, "GROWLER" and since it's marked as stolen, I can't get it again.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Home depot didn't but Lowe's did for me. Spent more on the screws&tool than the replacement tag. Of course, the original was a custom plate that said, "GROWLER" and since it's marked as stolen, I can't get it again.
If someone steals your plate and they deem it stolen you can't get it anymore? That's so backwards.

Is there a time limit before you can get that same plate again or is it considered stolen forever?

What if you were like the wind blew it off and it blew off a cliff.. technically it's not stolen, just Mia..

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If someone steals your plate and they deem it stolen you can't get it anymore? That's so backwards.

Is there a time limit before you can get that same plate again or is it considered stolen forever?
It's because most of the time, plates are stolen to put on a stolen car. Cops have automatic tag readers so they'd be instantly alerted to the vehicle wearing my tag. But since mines a cool custom one (in my opinion), it's probably on someone's wall.
None of the officers I talked about it with knew, but the DMV ladies seemed to think I could switch back after a year. Sucks because I couldn't even get a different custom tag, my money just went in the drain!
Sponsored