License Plate Fastening

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
When the license plate was put on my car I noticed that there is no protection to keep the lower half of the plate from touching the car itself. On my new 2015 Fusion their are rubber nipples already on the trunk for the 2 lower plate holes to rest on so it never touches the car.

I went ahead and massaged the plate to more conform to the shape where the plate is installed.

just curious how others have attached the plate to keep it from vibrating and scratching the paint?
Sponsored

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I use nylon fasteners for license plates. Less rattle and a little easier on all surfaces.
That would be good, too... but I have NO rattle. :)

Sponsored

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT, 50th Anniversary, Ruby Red
So Tony Alonso, where did you get the 50 Years license plate holder ? That looks great and fits the car perfectly. I also like the weather strip idea. You have to put something back there or it definitely will eat through the paint over time. Here in Florida, we have a bug called a "Love Bug" that if you let it hit your cars front surfaces and stay on there for 24 hrs, the acid in the body eats right through the wax/clearcoat and paint. It's terrible. This just happens to be that time of year too. I noticed they are now starting to swarm. The only thing you can do to save your paint is to get them off every single night the car is driven using water and soap with a special pad made for those things that most auto parts places here will sell. The secret is to let the water soak them for about 5 minutes before trying to scrub them off. Hope that helps someone out there.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
So Tony Alonso, where did you get the 50 Years license plate holder ? That looks great and fits the car perfectly. I also like the weather strip idea. You have to put something back there or it definitely will eat through the paint over time. Here in Florida, we have a bug called a "Love Bug" that if you let it hit your cars front surfaces and stay on there for 24 hrs, the acid in the body eats right through the wax/clearcoat and paint. It's terrible. This just happens to be that time of year too. I noticed they are now starting to swarm. The only thing you can do to save your paint is to get them off every single night the car is driven using water and soap with a special pad made for those things that most auto parts places here will sell. The secret is to let the water soak them for about 5 minutes before trying to scrub them off. Hope that helps someone out there.
I also heard rubbing some dryer sheets on the hood and bumper will help the dead bug carcass remove easily. Never tried it while i lived in Florida.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
So Tony Alonso, where did you get the 50 Years license plate holder ? That looks great and fits the car perfectly. I also like the weather strip idea. You have to put something back there or it definitely will eat through the paint over time.
I bought it off eBay, but it is a licensed Ford item you could probably get from many places.

Here in Florida, we have a bug called a "Love Bug" that if you let it hit your cars front surfaces and stay on there for 24 hrs, the acid in the body eats right through the wax/clearcoat and paint. It's terrible.
I feel for you all in Florida. I've heard of this bug, and it doesn't seem like love to me with what it does to the paint!

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I bought it off eBay, but it is a licensed Ford item you could probably get from many places.

I feel for you all in Florida. I've heard of this bug, and it doesn't seem like love to me with what it does to the paint!

I got mine on Amazon

We have those in Louisiana too. In fact they where engineered at lsu (to eat Mosquitos). Well, in the wild, as it turns out, all they wanna do is mate (hence the term love bug).

Fully cured paint is less susceptible to damage from them.

You forgot to mention that they are hard as hell to get off too. They dry to the consistency of cement it seems.

Sponsored

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
When the license plate was put on my car I noticed that there is no protection to keep the lower half of the plate from touching the car itself. On my new 2015 Fusion their are rubber nipples already on the trunk for the 2 lower plate holes to rest on so it never touches the car.

I went ahead and massaged the plate to more conform to the shape where the plate is installed.

just curious how others have attached the plate to keep it from vibrating and scratching the paint?
Go to the hardware store and find some of those self adhesive felt pads and stick a couple to the back of the plate... you'll still have contact but no metal on paint!

Br725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Prem/PP/ruby red/premier int.
Im from Florida and live in Georgia now, and I hate love bugs. They're a-holes. They're all "look at me fly around in the road having sex, don't you wish you were me?"

Inconsiderate.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I used little squares of closed cell foam on the back of the license plate. It's very soft and compresses a little bit and does not absorb or hold water. Then tighten your license plate screws until the foamis not quite compressed