Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Z51 option yields
245/35ZR-19 up front and 305/30ZR-20 in back
and
Front rotor size goes from 12.6 inches to 13.6; rear rotors expand from 13.3 inches to 13.8
strike me as really odd choices. Surely the front can run 275 section tires and the front brakes could stand to be closer to 15".
What's the weight bias on this thing?
edit: 39.4F, 60.6R

For a base car with the Z51 package and FE4 dampers, you're looking at only $66,890
And that there is a benchmark that the GT350 will hit. And also the same price as a C7 GrandSport. Still a 1SS+1LE at rather less than 40K OTR is a record bargain.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow. C7 ZR1 values probably just took a dump....
Except the manual transmission models. Well - hey maybe the manual transmission models will take a dump and I can get into one cheap!

To be real - I think there are plenty of people waiting in the wings looking to snap up C7s. My guess is they won't drop a huge amount or very quickly.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a29471987/2020-corvette-c8-first-drive-test/

Between this and the Motortrend review I'm reading "fast, but numb and brakes and handles worse than before". The interior is much better and it rides incredibly well, so it definitely appeals to Boomers in that sense. But in terms of a sports car, this appears to have taken a step back from a C7 Z51 let alone a C7 GS.
I think it will be really good for the entry buyers and the casual users. Gained 200 pounds and much quieter inside. I bet the interior will be nice - at least the 3LT interior should be.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
With drag radials alone I think this car is 10's capable (1lt z51 should be faster due to lighter weight) in the quarter mile, which is insane considering the pricing. I have never seen a car like C8 W/ Z51 package offering both drag strip and road coarse performance for the money. Not something like this for $65 grand (1lt Z51).

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind, tests are on pre-production models. Plenty of time for GM to continue to tweak things. Aftermarket will take care of anything GM does not.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hay martinjLm is GM only going to use the FPC engine only in the R model

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hay martinjLm is GM only going to use the FPC engine only in the R model
Z06 will get it, zr1 will be twin turbo I believe. I'm still crossing my fingers that the grand sport will get a detuned version of it.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
With drag radials alone I think this car is 10's capable (1lt z51 should be faster due to lighter weight) in the quarter mile, which is insane considering the pricing. I have never seen a car like C8 W/ Z51 package offering both drag strip and road coarse performance for the money. Not something like this for $65 grand (1lt Z51).
could be. But the car already has a major traction advantage with the engine on top of the drive tires. So drag radials won’t make the difference that they will on a car like the gt500.

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a29471987/2020-corvette-c8-first-drive-test/

Between this and the Motortrend review I'm reading "fast, but numb and brakes and handles worse than before". The interior is much better and it rides incredibly well, so it definitely appeals to Boomers in that sense. But in terms of a sports car, this appears to have taken a step back from a C7 Z51 let alone a C7 GS.
This is the problem I have with the Camaro, yes they are fast at full throttle and great track performers but the excitement in anything under near or full throttle is missing. Seems like the C8 is a numbers car and not necessarily a drivers car. The 500 should give you a better balance of both.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This is the problem I have with the Camaro, yes they are fast at full throttle and great track performers but the excitement in anything under near or full throttle is missing. Seems like the C8 is a numbers car and not necessarily a drivers car. The 500 should give you a better balance of both.
First of all, cool to see you over here :like:

Your comments (in bold) are interesting. I’ve found the exact opposite in driving LT1 Camaros and Coyote Mustangs. Since the LT1 has such good low end torque, just goosing the accelerator tends to provide a lot of excitement. I rarely even get near full throttle unless I’m on the strip or track or a wide open highway. For the Coyotes I’ve driven, including the Bullitt I had for a while a few weeks ago, it seemed like you had to have it up in the revs to have any real fun. The good thing is it’s not hard to get it up in the revs, especially with a 6MT. The B-I-G exception to that was the GT350 I had for a couple days. Fun at low rpms, freaky good at high rpms.

Should also point out that in Jason Cassima’s post over at a Corvette site, he says just the opposite. He implies that the C8 performs better than its numbers. Jason is the R&T driver / writer most often quoted about understeer.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Z06 will get it, zr1 will be twin turbo I believe. I'm still crossing my fingers that the grand sport will get a detuned version of it.
My guess is Z06 will get a small turbo version to top the current car's 650hp (the N/A version in the race car makes about 550), the ZR1 will get a big turbo+hybrid variant. And I'm desperately hoping there's a grand sport with the N/A variant and a manual transmission... PLEASE GM, AS SOON AS YOU GIVE ME THAT, I'M BUYING

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The c8 isn’t even a numbers car. Unless you are only counting 0-60. It does that very well. Everything else not even as good as older corvettes.

The c8 is currently a good hype car. It played the bait and switch pricing game well enough to get attention and mindshare. That’s a marketing win.
But... then actual people drive it.

Outside of the usual Chevy commercial by motor trend, the reviews are underwhelming.

Pretty sure the supercharged versions will be pretty intense though. The car is light enough and has enough traction to really show off some great numbers when it gets more power.

but as it stands right now, it’s a nice enough car that performs well enough and can be had for a bargain basement price.
Sponsored