Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can't go wrong either way. If you got small kids, the GT500 may be the one to go with. But pulling up with the C8 on date night would be a killer. I'm taking the latter.
Agreed. The only understandable reason to buy the GT500 over the Vette is because you need 4 seats instead of 2

Personally, I'm just gonna keep my GT for the kids and buy a Vette to park next to it
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Agreed. The only understandable reason to buy the GT500 over the Vette is because you need 4 seats instead of 2

Personally, I'm just gonna keep my GT for the kids and buy a Vette to park next to it
I could see some people simply preferring the more traditional styling and powertrain layout. I could see some people simply not liking the C8 interior layout (I like both). It’s not like the GT500 suddenly becomes a turd. It doesn’t. It’s still setting up to be an awesome car. Performance of either car is likely beyond what most people can or will fully utilize. GM just stepped up to the plate and dropped an incredible alternative at a better price on the table. And the fact that it will spawn more potent variants has some (ok, me) salivating. Doesn’t diminish what GT500 is, but it does provide an awesome choice and makes Ford pay for not getting the GT500 out on time or with a lower price tag.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

If you are taller than 6 feet you might have an issue with head room in the Corvette. Especially if you want to go to the track and wear a helmet.

I wish they had made the roof panel an option rather than mandatory in the Corvette. I realize rollovers on track are rare, but the Mustang will probably be a lot safer in the event of any accident. And I know the C7 roof panels can click and rattle. Just what I want - spend big money on a car that rattles constantly.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
. I realize rollovers on track are rare,
do HPDE orgs require a proper roll-bar if the hard top is removable? I doubt the solid construction roof of the Mustang is much of a structural advantage though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
do HPDE orgs require a proper roll-bar if the hard top is removable? I doubt the solid construction roof of the Mustang is much of a structural advantage though.
Why would you doubt that?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you doubt that?
It's a large, thin piece of metal with scant structural support across it's expanse. The arc tying the front windshield pillar to the rear window pillar is probably worth something but anything that would cause a 4000lb car to flip would have a ground impact force many times that 4000lbs and therefore would get flattened. QED a 1-piece roof doesn't actually provide much protection at all. More than a rag top, of course, but nothing remotely like a proper height roll bar or cage.

The pertinent question was do HPDE orgs consider a removable hard top to be as useless as a soft top and therefore mandate roll bars/cage to operate?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you are taller than 6 feet you might have an issue with head room in the Corvette. Especially if you want to go to the track and wear a helmet.

I wish they had made the roof panel an option rather than mandatory in the Corvette. I realize rollovers on track are rare, but the Mustang will probably be a lot safer in the event of any accident. And I know the C7 roof panels can click and rattle. Just what I want - spend big money on a car that rattles constantly.
IIHS published roof strength data for the Mustang. No similar data is available for Corvette.
Capture mustang roof strength.JPG

Some vehicles don't have very good roof strength, such as this truck
Capture truck roof strength.JPG

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a large, thin piece of metal with scant structural support across it's expanse. The arc tying the front windshield pillar to the rear window pillar is probably worth something but anything that would cause a 4000lb car to flip would have a ground impact force many times that 4000lbs and therefore would get flattened. QED a 1-piece roof doesn't actually provide much protection at all. More than a rag top, of course, but nothing remotely like a proper height roll bar or cage.

The pertinent question was do HPDE orgs consider a removable hard top to be as useless as a soft top and therefore mandate roll bars/cage to operate?
On the Mustang roof there are steel structural tubes that pass from the dash area to the rear quarters. Kind of like a roll cage. The Corvette probably has a rear hoop, but the front to rear bars are missing - there's no structure above the heads of the occupants.

I have no idea on your second question. It will probably vary from one organization to another.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
These two cars have nothing in common, Apples and Oranges in my opinion. . I've owned both a C5 and a C6 Vette and now own a 2015 GT. The Corvette is a true sports car and the Mustang is an overweight Muscle car,
Just think what we would gain if they took 600# out of the Mustang.

g

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, I'm over 6 feet and have this issue in my Mustang... OUR SEATS SIT TOO DAMN HIGH

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

I can argue that the mustang will have the same issue. I'm 6' tall and have to finangle myself into an uncomfortable position when I autox due the the helmet. The vettes roof comes off so I would not have it on in most situations. Which also solves the rattling issue and the height issue

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Hell, I'm over 6 feet and have this issue in my Mustang... OUR SEATS SIT TOO DAMN HIGH
I had 0 issue with a helmet in my GS and I'm 6 foot 2. The mustang I had to angle the seat back a little to fit, but I do drive very upright.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

StangLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I agree the weight number will trick some people for a few days, but the truth will come out that the C8 is actually pretty heavy.

What I'm the most curious about is how fun will it be to drive on the street? I've driven some Porsches and found them to be boring due to an excess of mechanical grip and a dearth of low end torque. The V8 in the Corvette will help it to be enjoyable in my opinion. It should be interesting. I definitely will want to drive one in a few years when the hubub calms down a little.

I wish the removable top had been changed to an option instead of standard on the C8. That was one reason I didn't buy a C7 is I didn't love the removable top.
Just don't remove it, then?
Sponsored