Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am old (76), so my reaction time and reflexes are not the best. My son-in-law and I both took my 2009 Porsche C2S for some fun track time on a course laid out in a large parking lot... lots of turns, not a great deal of speed. My Porsche had the 7 speed PDK. In manual mode, my son-in-law was a good 10 -12 seconds faster than me. Letting the transmission do it's own shifting, we both improved by more than 10 seconds and he was only 5 seconds faster than me. I did notice the transmission shifts a lot more by itself and holds the rpm range much better than I could shifting manually. For grins, we also tried my 335i. It weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the Porsche, but has better low-end power. It has the 6 speed manual. Neither of us did very good with it and we both have driven manual transmissions for many years. The trouble was you could only have one hand on the wheel a lot of the time because you had to shift. You were just too busy to set the best line.

Porsche has had 10 years to refine the PDK, so it's almost telepathic. I think it will take Ford a few years to get to that level of refinement, but it's certainly possible.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I am old (76), so my reaction time and reflexes are not the best. My son-in-law and I both took my 2009 Porsche C2S for some fun track time on a course laid out in a large parking lot... lots of turns, not a great deal of speed. My Porsche had the 7 speed PDK. In manual mode, my son-in-law was a good 10 -12 seconds faster than me. Letting the transmission do it's own shifting, we both improved by more than 10 seconds and he was only 5 seconds faster than me. I did notice the transmission shifts a lot more by itself and holds the rpm range much better than I could shifting manually. For grins, we also tried my 335i. It weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the Porsche, but has better low-end power. It has the 6 speed manual. Neither of us did very good with it and we both have driven manual transmissions for many years. The trouble was you could only have one hand on the wheel a lot of the time because you had to shift. You were just too busy to set the best line.

Porsche has had 10 years to refine the PDK, so it's almost telepathic. I think it will take Ford a few years to get to that level of refinement, but it's certainly possible.
I think for most, your experience is likely spot on. For those experienced enough though, shifting manually will be quicker. That is, until the actual track layout and GPS is taken into account so the computer can more accurately predict what the next corner is and where the car is in relationship.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That 3 second delay will give you the ILLUSION that the transmission itself is shifting at a lower speed... just as I have been saying since the beginning, that the overclocked paddles give the ILLUSION that the transmission is shifting FASTER

You really are a simpleton, aren't you
Pulling a paddle is not that different than pulling a shift lever. It takes time and it's part of the process of shifting gears manually. This argument has become a little too important to you if you have to resort to name calling.

The reaction times may vary, but the shift time itself won't. The time it takes from disengagement of the clutch to reengagement of the clutch will remain the same regardless of who is using it. That's why a DCT's shift speed is measurable
That is actually not always true. If the DCT thinks you are going to upshift and it pre-selects the next gear up but instead you pull the downshift lever, the DCT will take longer to execute the shift.

I think for most, your experience is likely spot on. For those experienced enough though, shifting manually will be quicker. That is, until the actual track layout and GPS is taken into account so the computer can more accurately predict what the next corner is and where the car is in relationship.
Agreed.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This is worth the watch. Especially if you have any questions about
  • When did work start on mid-engine
  • Why mid-engine
  • Why no manual transmission (in scary detail, including that Tadge himself has yet to buy a personal car that wasn’t MT)
  • Driving the DCT like a manual
  • Did GM really consider building both C7 and C8 concurrently?
  • Expanding the Corvette brand
  • ADMs?
  • Sold out?

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513
Sponsored