Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Spinning out and snap oversteer are to completely different things.
Then: "Porsches are infamous for snap oversteer and spinning out.

Often well balanced cars that respond to drivers inputs (rather than just understeering) are unjustly blamed as "snap oversteer" when it was due to inputs of a driver who does not know what they are doing and their jerky inputs unload the rear tires abruptly and a car actually rotates.

Mid engine and low polar moments of intertia respond to inputs and yes, can turn rather than just understeer. This does not mean they have snap oversteer, it's just that they CAN oversteer from bad (or intentional) inputs where a car with a nose heavy weight distribution or high moment of inertia would just understeer.

A C7 Z06 has probably the worst snap oversteer of any car I've driven. And it's a FR. It's mostly due to the tire and susepension setup.

Last edited:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Highly doubt that, usually people dont cross double yellows on the inside in SUV's and trucks. Pretty likely the c8 driver was pushing too hard because he heard all the BS hype about the C8 and wanted to test it and got BIT.

Judging by the wreckage I would say snap oversteer put the driverside rear of the vette into the side of the white SUV, then it went into the truck face on. Vette probably would have gone over the cliff backwards if it wasnt for the white SUV.
I don't know what you're talking about. Most people hug the inside line on windy roads.

The vette hit the back wheel of the SUV according to the articles. It is completely plausible that the suv was over the line. It's also plausible that the vette went over the line. In that case understeer would be far more plausible than oversteer, as it would have pushed the front of the vette into the line of the passing vehicle.

Street cars are generally engineered to understeer because it is a lot easier to save by slowing down. This is one of the reasons amateurs are encouraged to stick on street tires on track until they've learned car control. The sticker and wider the front tires, the easier the car oversteers.

The fact is, we don't know what happened here.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I don't know what you're talking about. Most people hug the inside line on windy roads.

The vette hit the back wheel of the SUV according to the articles. It is completely plausible that the suv was over the line. It's also plausible that the vette went over the line. In that case understeer would be far more plausible than oversteer, as it would have pushed the front of the vette into the line of the passing vehicle.

Street cars are generally engineered to understeer because it is a lot easier to save by slowing down. This is one of the reasons amateurs are encouraged to stick on street tires on track until they've learned car control. The sticker and wider the front tires, the easier the car oversteers.

The fact is, we don't know what happened here.
Its much more likely the vette driver was driving aggressively around corners testing it out..

I found this video and I dont see any rear damage but there may be side damage we cant see https://jalopnik.com/this-looks-like-the-first-public-c8-corvette-crash-1837127259?jwsource=cl

I suppose understeer is a possibility. Either way, C8 sucks, confirmed ;)

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Gopro camera always equals lets give her. Then hits two vehicles. Like I said earlier, with putting all the weight close to the middle, if you don't know what you're doing it'll get away from you without warning.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
With virtually zero information, I like how you can conclude that the inherent change in the layout of the car caused a (unknown) oversteer condition (which there is no visual damage of the rear of the car) and thus a crash.

Please. There is far more supporting evidence at the moment that the C8 understeered into the truck.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yep let's look at one photo and one video from after the fact and come to a conclusion based on no other evidence whatsoever. Seriously, how can anyone come to a conclusion on how this happened without knowing any of the facts? All you see is a crashed c8 and jump on the chance to troll all over it. Instead of jumping to conclusions, perhaps look for more evidence to come to a valid hypothesis of what happened and how.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
One thing is for sure GMs getting ready for another lawsuit

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Gopro camera always equals lets give her. Then hits two vehicles. Like I said earlier, with putting all the weight close to the middle, if you don't know what you're doing it'll get away from you without warning.
nc_oc=AQlQsSoeON0DsEFo4qnjjgwj-P4-i-Z7QkuxFxsSmNRTUdJgcYChKpiS3hq6Htr4fGk&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

He must have lost the front end. :giggle:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Either you are just plain ignorant, or never driven a mid-engine car before.
You misquoted me by taking out the ":giggle:" emoji, putting the quote into context. ("Losing the front end" means losing front grip and thus understeering. -which you deny as what happened, so this was a joke since in all likelihood the car did understeer into traffic).

Let's look at some facts:

-street cars are set up to understeer because it's safe.
-street cars have stability control which cause understeer because it is safe.
-Mid-engine cars tend to rotate and turn better when giving it the inputs to do so more than cars with poor weight distributions.
-Mid-engine cars WILL UNDERSTEER when given the inputs to do so. You seem to think this is impossible, but there are more conditions that will make a mid engine car understeer than oversteer.

-the C8 has significant visible front end damage and so far, little to no rear end damage.

SO:

The only way the C8 would have crashed from this "inherent (non existent) design flaw of scary, evil mid-engine cars with unrecoverable snap oversteer and low moments of inertia" (somewhat exaggerated, but maybe not) is if he had stability control turned off on the street, saved the slide, then understeered in to the truck.

While possible, this is very unlikely given that it's a preproduction car.

I've tracked many mid-engine cars. The worst was the Audi R8, which is famous for it's understeer and inability to rotate or oversteer with the proper inputs, and stability control turned off. Just Google "Audi R8 understeer" and you'll see tons of threads on the subject. Boxters, MR2s, and Elises will all understeer if you enter a corner too fast or give it the inputs to understeer on throttle (all without stability control on). With stability control on, it is very difficult if not impossible to spin. Then again, that is their function :cwl:

It's apparent you don't quite understand the physics, dyamics, or have driven a mid-engine car at it's limit and just regurgitate the erroneous misconceptions you read from "journalists" who aren't much better.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
They do have less weight on the front tires so , if they werent loaded up by braking before and during initiating the turn or he tried turning while on the throttle it may have just pushed and gone straight. Very curious to find out the weight distribution of the c8, to me it looks like atleast 40/60 or even more , maybe 35/65 on the rear. And it comes with 245's on the front...

actually I saw this, I think they made an error in their tire sizing on their spec sheet lol

ez6plkhdzjyovepidllh.jpg

Last edited:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Modern Porsches are rarely less than 40%. My guess is around 41-45% front, 59-55% rear.

I've seen the Ford GT listed at 43/57% and it has 245/325 tires.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
nc_oc=AQlQsSoeON0DsEFo4qnjjgwj-P4-i-Z7QkuxFxsSmNRTUdJgcYChKpiS3hq6Htr4fGk&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

He must have lost the front end. :giggle:
That is just embarrassing. GM gives the test cars to engineers, designers, executives who worked on the project so they can do their victory lap and there is always one idiot who thinks he or she can drive and gets into an accident. Same happened to my coworkers brother who works for Ford as a design engineer, ended up parking the GT350 in the middle of a cornfield lol

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Audi R8, which is famous for it's understeer
That's cause of it's AWD. As far as understeer being the problem, laughable. Just watch any mid-engine running the ring.
Sponsored