Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Following, this is an excellent thread! So, has anyone here run a Michelin SC2 and a Goodyear S3R on the same track with the same mods? Just curious to know how much of a difference there is between the 2
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm almost certain it was bellwilliam, he ran the 3R and cup 2s. Not sure about same day but he said the 3R only lasted a few sessions.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm almost certain it was bellwilliam, he ran the 3R and cup 2s. Not sure about same day but he said the 3R only lasted a few sessions.
Important to keep in mind he's an absolutely animal that can destroy any tire in a day :)

It seems the consensus is that the 3R will last about 3 days vs. the Cup2s 4-5, but it has a bit more grip (translates to 1 second a lap give or take). It's also a good bit cheaper.

Sponsored

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Important to keep in mind he's an absolutely animal that can destroy any tire in a day :)

It seems the consensus is that the 3R will last about 3 days vs. the Cup2s 4-5, but it has a bit more grip (translates to 1 second a lap give or take). It's also a good bit cheaper.
^^^This ^^^

FWIW William is a friend of mine and pointed me in the direction of the 3R initially. He ran through the 3R tire in a single session at WSIR which is notorious for being hard on tires due to the surface degradation and temps common at that track. And yes, he is a bonafide racer who has probably forgotten more about racecraft then I will ever learn to begin with. There is a great thread about it over on trackhq.com :

https://trackhq.com/forum/track-cars/fords/9170-ford-gt350r-thread/page25

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Finally got a chance to run my new NO Porsche spec 102Y SC2's at Willow Springs yesterday. These really woke the car up compared to the Continental ContiForce Contacts I had. As you can see from the pics, they look great for seven 20 minute sessions. I was running -3 degrees front camber and -2 in the rear. Unless you're looking at the amount of brake dust on the wheels, it's hard to tell the fronts from the rears. If this is any indication, I'm excited for the possible life I may get out of these.

Interesting to note is that the guy pitting next to me was running the Goodyear F1's on his Camaro and came off the track in the afternoon thinking he had a tire problem. He said it felt like he had a low tire or two that was getting squirrely in turns. Upon inspection he found that the tires were picking up all the rubber being laid down on top of the track. You could peel off a good 1/8" and roll it up in a ball. It looked like his tires were melting at first until you peeled the rubber to reveal tread below it.

Willow Springs has recently been repaved (turn 8 is still bumpy as hell though) and there seemed to be areas of the track that was collecting this rubber. Not sure if the Goodyear tire was more susceptible to picking up this rubber or not. I included a picture of my car in turn 5 where you can see what looks like rubber on the surface.
20190128_130028.jpg
20190128_130101.jpg
Turn 5 Willow Springs.jpg

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Finally got a chance to run my new NO Porsche spec 102Y SC2's at Willow Springs yesterday. These really woke the car up compared to the Continental ContiForce Contacts I had. As you can see from the pics, they look great for seven 20 minute sessions. I was running -3 degrees front camber and -2 in the rear. Unless you're looking at the amount of brake dust on the wheels, it's hard to tell the fronts from the rears. If this is any indication, I'm excited for the possible life I may get out of these.

Interesting to note is that the guy pitting next to me was running the Goodyear F1's on his Camaro and came off the track in the afternoon thinking he had a tire problem. He said it felt like he had a low tire or two that was getting squirrely in turns. Upon inspection he found that the tires were picking up all the rubber being laid down on top of the track. You could peel off a good 1/8" and roll it up in a ball. It looked like his tires were melting at first until you peeled the rubber to reveal tread below it.

Willow Springs has recently been repaved (turn 8 is still bumpy as hell though) and there seemed to be areas of the track that was collecting this rubber. Not sure if the Goodyear tire was more susceptible to picking up this rubber or not. I included a picture of my car in turn 5 where you can see what looks like rubber on the surface.
What times where you running? What times was the Camaro doing?

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I was running consistent 1:36's on my stock motor GT with coilovers. The driver still needs mods though :)

The Camaro was running in the mid 1:40's. He was new to the track with a just a few total track days.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
^^^This ^^^

FWIW William is a friend of mine and pointed me in the direction of the 3R initially. He ran through the 3R tire in a single session at WSIR which is notorious for being hard on tires due to the surface degradation and temps common at that track. And yes, he is a bonafide racer who has probably forgotten more about racecraft then I will ever learn to begin with. There is a great thread about it over on trackhq.com :

https://trackhq.com/forum/track-cars/fords/9170-ford-gt350r-thread/page25
The 3R isn't as fast and doesn't last as long as the bespoke PSC2. Despite being wider, it does not have the slight stretch, and support from the wheel (3R needs a wider wheel). Because of this, the 3rd also does not have as good of response or steering feel as the PSC2.

Sponsored

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The 3R isn't as fast and doesn't last as long as the bespoke PSC2. Despite being wider, it does not have the slight stretch, and support from the wheel (3R needs a wider wheel). Because of this, the 3rd also does not have as good of response or steering feel as the PSC2.
Well crap Billy! Now you just made me question everything I knew about driving :headbang: BUT this does make my ego feel better since I went faster on a "slower" tire :cwl:

All kidding aside, I was faster on the 3R than the SC2 but I would be foolish not to trust your wisdom. I was roughly a full second faster on the GY @ Laguna Seca but evidently my variables aren't consistent enough to have legitimate comparisons. Would you say the compound is slower or the tire construction? or both?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Well crap Billy! Now you just made me question everything I knew about driving :headbang: BUT this does make my ego feel better since I went faster on a "slower" tire :cwl:

All kidding aside, I was faster on the 3R than the SC2 but I would be foolish not to trust your wisdom. I was roughly a full second faster on the GY @ Laguna Seca but evidently my variables aren't consistent enough to have legitimate comparisons. Would you say the compound is slower or the tire construction? or both?
What wheels/widths were you using on the PCSC2 & 3R? What was the weather conditions of both days or was it the same day? Same mods? We're they both brand new when you went to the track? If not, how many street/track miles were on them?

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What wheels/widths were you using on the PCSC2 & 3R? What was the weather conditions of both days or was it the same day? Same mods? We're they both brand new when you went to the track? If not, how many street/track miles were on them?
I understand your point. All of the above was the same with the exception of R Front splitter and ZL1 wickerbill spoiler on OEM GT350 wheels. Nonetheless, I'm certain there was likely room for improvement given my talent level (or lack thereof) that played a more measurable role in the time delta. My feedback on the tires is more geared towards "feel" during the life cycle of a tire, from sticker to cords. But my question was would you say the compound is slower or the tire construction? or both? *because to me, I would rather not waste money on an inferior tire in the future

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I understand your point. All of the above was the same with the exception of R Front splitter and ZL1 wickerbill spoiler on OEM GT350 wheels. Nonetheless, I'm certain there was likely room for improvement given my talent level (or lack thereof) that played a more measurable role in the time delta. My feedback on the tires is more geared towards "feel" during the life cycle of a tire, from sticker to cords. But my question was would you say the compound is slower or the tire construction? or both? *because to me, I would rather not waste money on an inferior tire in the future
So you back to backed brand new PSC2 and 3Rs on the same day on identical model and wheel widths? Within minutes of each other?

William said 3Rs wear out faster.

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So you back to backed brand new PSC2 and 3Rs on the same day on identical model and wheel widths? Within minutes of each other?

William said 3Rs wear out faster.
Haha you avoided my question twice.......yet I feel as if I now have the answer......are you some kinda wizard or somethin!?.....touche

**EDIT** correction...I just read your post 369+371 over on TrackHQ and you basically answered it there...don't worry...I'll show myself out lol
Sponsored

Last edited: