Sponsored

Lethal Performances' guide to the perfect clutch for you!

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I'm looking for a clutch that will take a beating on the street and track, But not destroy my mt-82 like the RXT seems to be doing a lot of. Is the Lethal street warrior a strong enough clutch for a procharged 700+ rwhp? Also, Is there a preferred flywheel material for boosted cars? I've always thought steel would be better.
i would recommend the LPX which has a flywheel specifically for it. Itā€™s also a twin disc that holds like an RXT BUTT it is easier on the transmission due to the Kevlar compound.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My LPXHD just arrived on Thursday. I'll be using it with an On3 single turbo at about 650 whp, mainly street driven. Very nice unit!

PXL_20210326_005025182.jpg

tone21g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 steeda & 2017 GTPP
Like most in here Iā€™ve given a lot of thought to which clutch to run . Iā€™m currently in a McCould RST for my vortech 700hp s550. I HATE it- i consistently either get high speed lock out , or a pedal that sticks to the floor. Itā€™s so frustrating that it keeps me from really enjoying the car.
Iā€™ve been considering a mantic , but just came across these lethal lpx in doing research. Seem to be at a much better price point. Has anyone had any track experience with these on a 700hp plus car? Are they hard on the mt82 like the RXT?? Any lock out or pedal stick ?? Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Like most in here Iā€™ve given a lot of thought to which clutch to run . Iā€™m currently in a McCould RST for my vortech 700hp s550. I HATE it- i consistently either get high speed lock out , or a pedal that sticks to the floor. Itā€™s so frustrating that it keeps me from really enjoying the car.
Iā€™ve been considering a mantic , but just came across these lethal lpx in doing research. Seem to be at a much better price point. Has anyone had any track experience with these on a 700hp plus car? Are they hard on the mt82 like the RXT?? Any lock out or pedal stick ?? Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !
Our LPX and LPX HD are rated for 800 (LPX) 1000hp (LPXHD). They pair great with a MT82 and can be used for track use. Please send me a message and I can answer any questions you have about our Lethal clutches!

OP
OP
JakeLethal

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
I've witnessed a car that was running our LPX that is pushing closer to 1,000 with no issue at all. It's very similar to the RXT in the twin disc aspect however much easier on the transmission due to the kevlar face! PM me if you have additional questions! Be glad to help try to decide the perfect clutch for you. Also, if you'd like, we do have a whole write up on our site: https://www.lethalperformance.com/info/clutch101

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I don't know anything about which clutch kits/brands are better but narrowing it down helps a little
I guess.

I want to get one just in case mine takes a shit one day. 2016 gt, stock.
What do y'all recommend? Nothing too expensive of course ā˜ŗ

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I don't know anything about which clutch kits/brands are better but narrowing it down helps a little
I guess.

I want to get one just in case mine takes a shit one day. 2016 gt, stock.
What do y'all recommend? Nothing too expensive of course ā˜ŗ
Do you ever plan on modding the car at all or keeping it stock?

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Do you ever plan on modding the car at all or keeping it stock?
I'm just going to keep it stock. It's my daily driver and I'm around the worst traffic ever.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

Sponsored

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
why not Street Fighter 525 ? Or Spec?
Street Fighter will work fine for stock into mild by ons, another community favorite is an Exedy Mach500. Both are single disc setups that keep the stock feel but more gripping capability

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Once I looked up who made Lethal's clutches, the decision was pretty easy. This coming from someone not knowing a lot about clutches in the first place. LPXHD, pilot bearing (high load) and a new hydraulic slave cylinder with a new Mcleod clutch bleed line is everything I bought. Clutch is probably overkill for the power level I'm running but as long as it's friendly with driving, I don't mind having the extra sturdiness while having a turbo on the car.

AdrianM1972

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
What's the LPX like to drive vs the sprung hub single disk units? I've never driven a non spring hub clutch.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What's the LPX like to drive vs the sprung hub single disk units? I've never driven a non spring hub clutch.
The only thing I notice is much more pronounced 'gear rollover' noise if you lug the trans around 1600-1800 rpms. I've tried to adjust my driving style to stay out of that zone in lower gears. My MT82 has always been clunky and noisy. If lug it in that area, it sounds like it's full of rocks.

No complaints with the clutch other than that. Pedal is light and the engagement is great. I've always been a fan of kevlar clutches for street/strip use. I plan to really test it at the track this summer on some bias-plys. My whipple car puts down 708/540.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
From my personal experience using Mcleods RXT's since 2009 I can say that I really never noticed a difference between the sprung hub vs non sprung hub setups. They both drove the same in my opinion. Even though the sprung hub setup that they started making for 10+ GT500's was designed because of the model year change it felt just the same as the 07-09 non sprung hub version.

As @J17GT mentioned if you lug the car in a higher gear at low rpms you'll get some growl from it which is completely normal. If it bothers you I recommend to customers to try not rolling out of a low speed in a higher gear at low rpms. Just downshift to be in a lower gear in a bit higher of an rpm range and you won't notice it anymore.

Since our LPX/LPXHD is made exclusively for us by Mcleod it's got very similar driving characteristics as the RXT/RXTHD but since we use kevlar on our kits it's not as aggressive as ceramic so there will be less chatter when leaving from a stop if you try and slip the clutch.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Sponsored