Sponsored

Let’s talk about paper straws

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
By far the most annoying recent “change” in the food industry. It feels like I am dragging a paper towel across my teeth which is a gut wrenching feeling.

On top of that, far before the drink is finished they will meet their demise, turning into a state equatable to a wet noodle. This is great for those days you feel like fighting for a sip of coffee or other liquid. For all other times, it’s freaking annoying.

I support the cause behind the change, but at the end of the day the “post consumer content” the straws are made from makes me feel like I’m putting something in my mouth that’s probably been on someone else’s ass.

1st world problem confirmed.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Never cared for using a straw.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Paper straws, good ones, are actually pretty good at not absorbing liquid for multiple hours. I used to not care really until I saw a video of a plastic straw having to be pulled from a sea turtles nose with pliers because it was so wedged in and it was bleeding from having it removed.

I'm fine using a weird straw, or even no straw, if it means saving a few animals quality of life.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Paper straws, good ones, are actually pretty good at not absorbing liquid for multiple hours. I used to not care really until I saw a video of a plastic straw having to be pulled from a sea turtles nose with pliers because it was so wedged in and it was bleeding from having it removed.

I'm fine using a weird straw, or even no straw, if it means saving a few animals quality of life.
Now we just need other countries to get on board as they account for 99% of it in the oceans.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Now we just need other countries to get on board as they account for 99% of it in the oceans.
Yeah, all you can really do is help the bits you can control... aside from replacing V8's with electric. I'll never do that. Thats like, my one line lol.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Yeah that’s crappy. I can’t stand seeing people litter. For us it’s just unsightly and for all other non humans it can turn pretty disasterous.

What I hate about where I live is people just throw their trash on the ground like it’s no big deal. Granted most of the people that do this are not from the US and come from places where this is normal (circling back to the sea turtle issue), but still.. if you notice no one else is doing it, take an F’ing hint!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I remember using paper straws as a kid at the local store when buying a bottle of pop (soda, co-cola, softdrink, RC, DP, Dew...whatever you wish to call it). THEY SUCK!

I'd love to see cigarette filters be put under heavier scrutiny personally. I smoked for about 10 years and one thing I learned early on was not to throw my cigarette butt (with filter) out the window. I'd roll the cherry off and put the filter in the ash tray, that was all the ash tray was used for. Haven't smoked now in 27 years. Stopped cold turkey at 1.5 packs per day average.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I remember using paper straws as a kid at the local store when buying a bottle of pop (soda, co-cola, softdrink, RC, DP, Dew...whatever you wish to call it). THEY SUCK!

I'd love to see cigarette filters be put under heavier scrutiny personally. I smoked for about 10 years and one thing I learned early on was not to throw my cigarette butt (with filter) out the window. I'd roll the cherry off and put the filter in the ash tray, that was all the ash tray was used for. Haven't smoked now in 27 years. Stopped cold turkey at 1.5 packs per day average.
Congratulations on quitting. That’s a great accomplishment.

Filters tend to stay around. Wonder how many birds swallow those things up.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ted's Montana Grill was the first place I came across one of these disasters. I straight up refuse to use them and just drink straight from the glass. I do this in most cases anyway, but especially with these shit straws.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I say just use Candy straws... nothing to dispose of, no poor creatures can be harmed and if the polluters of the planet toss it out a moving vehicleor out a window, it would just dissolve in any body of water...

I’ve heard of some ridiculous things like stainless steel straws... yes that’s a liability waiting to happen once someone gets jabbed/bumped from behind and ends up with a steel straw protruding into their nasal cavity or eye socket...
Sponsored