KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I love playing with this stuff.

I drive a 2019 GT with a 4.09 rear gear (10R80 car).

It runs low 10s@135+ Naturally aspirated. It is one heck of a ride.

Due to the engine combination, it has never left very well at the RPM that we have been limited to by the torque converter offerings (or, lack of...)

So the theory was to hit the tire hard off the transbrake with a super steep gear, use a hoosier slick and get some wheel speed.

It works decently doing this. In the hot Florida air, the steeda car that is a totally different combo (radial, numericall lower gear, larger converter, more mid/low end power)...is not much quicker to the sixty foot or the 1320 trap (yet, they have much more mph....)

As for the power adder cars. This is really a tricky topic. There are things that racers and tuners do to make things easier, does not necessarily mean it is better. Many times people pick 2nd gear leave for tuning purposes because they cannot get the car to hit the 1-2 shift.

At the end of the day, the bigger power cars really just rely on traction, tuning and the converter. The nice thing about 2nd gear leave is that you can give it all the beans. 1st gear leave is much trickier.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Talk about old days. I remember drag racing starting in 2nd in an automatic transmission could cook the transmission as 2nd was not meant to take the dead dig grunt of 1st. We're talking 40+ years ago with the old C-6.
Putting a gear in the 10R80 with good tires must really keep the engine at nearly optimum rpms all the way through.
Interesting...