Sponsored

Lemon Law question on my 2019 Mustang gt 6 speed

Pierangiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Manual (sold), 2020 Mustang GT A10
So I bought this car around the mid of the year 2020, a 2019 mustang gt 6 speed (at around 3000 miles)

The first few days it was fine, getting used to the car.
Around a week later the car shuts off while running doing a 2nd to 3rd gear pull (on the deacceleration portion).
It did it once and a while so I never thought too much of it. Then it became an almost daily problem.

I took the car to the dealer, they couldn't find the issue. They reset the ecu and gave me back my car.

I had the car for another few months and the problem continued to happen. I took the car back about a week ago and I stayed until they ran a diagnosis on the car and a few codes popped up on the car.
They tore down my transmission, tore down the engine and still cant figure out the problem. I fought with the dealer to give me a loaner to get to work and eventually got it. (This is the second time the have had my car for a week)

That was just some back story

1. When or how does the lemon law take into effect. They have had the car for over a week and there seems to be no sign that this car is getting repaired anytime soon since they cant find the issue.

2. If the lemon law is taken into effect, do they pay the same price I payed for the car (even if I put like 7000 miles on the car)? (I payed, out the gate with taxes and everything 32,000 for the car)

The only mod I did on the car is a coil over setup but that was like a few weeks ago and has absolutely zero correlation with the problem.

Any information on what I should do is greatly appreciated. Thank you soo much.

Pierangiolo Bicchi

(PS I have been eyeing up those Shelby's ever since my car has been in the shop so I thought it might be a good opportunity to upgrade if it does turn out to be a lemon car)
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Have never gone thru that process myself, but for what I've read over the years, it's much better to attempt a buy-back deal directly with Ford, instead of going the lemon law. It'd be much quicker too. And that's especially true if you plan to upgrade with another Ford vehicle. You should get back what you paid... BUT you'd get charged for mileage used, which would be fair. Don't remember what the rate was, but I bet it's probably different on every state. Having said that, try to negotiate not paying that charge, since you'd buy a more expensive Shelby. Negotiate hard. Good luck.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I bought this car around the mid of the year 2020, a 2019 mustang gt 6 speed (at around 3000 miles)

The first few days it was fine, getting used to the car.
Around a week later the car shuts off while running doing a 2nd to 3rd gear pull (on the deacceleration portion).
It did it once and a while so I never thought too much of it. Then it became an almost daily problem.

I took the car to the dealer, they couldn't find the issue. They reset the ecu and gave me back my car.

I had the car for another few months and the problem continued to happen. I took the car back about a week ago and I stayed until they ran a diagnosis on the car and a few codes popped up on the car.
They tore down my transmission, tore down the engine and still cant figure out the problem. I fought with the dealer to give me a loaner to get to work and eventually got it. (This is the second time the have had my car for a week)

That was just some back story

1. When or how does the lemon law take into effect. They have had the car for over a week and there seems to be no sign that this car is getting repaired anytime soon since they cant find the issue.

2. If the lemon law is taken into effect, do they pay the same price I payed for the car (even if I put like 7000 miles on the car)? (I payed, out the gate with taxes and everything 32,000 for the car)

The only mod I did on the car is a coil over setup but that was like a few weeks ago and has absolutely zero correlation with the problem.

Any information on what I should do is greatly appreciated. Thank you soo much.

Pierangiolo Bicchi

(PS I have been eyeing up those Shelby's ever since my car has been in the shop so I thought it might be a good opportunity to upgrade if it does turn out to be a lemon car)
So.... been there done it successfully and have helped many others on this site. If you were to do a search on here for “RAV”, “Ford RAV”, “Buy Back” or “Lemon” you’ll find a lot of info with regards to the process and guidance. A LOT of info....

You need to have supporting facts to back up the claim. That would be emails, phone records, voicemails and of course any Ford related documents from the Dealership such as all work orders for repairs that are dated.

You will need to know your home State’s Lemon Laws for policies and allowable time limits and what is afforded to you the Consumer regarding your rights.

Every State has different Lemon Law verbiage and timelines for submissions. Timelines meaning, some States require a Buy Back be claimed within 24k miles and within 1-2 years from original purchase date. If the vehicle has exceeded 24k miles or the 2 years, you can’t file.

You need to go to your State’s Attorney General Website or State DMV website. Do NOT use any third party website, it has to be your State’s .gov website. Third party sites contain many inaccuracies and outdated info. Even the BBB Autoline does not always have the most current info.

In many States if the vehicle has been at the Dealership Service Center for 30-consecutive days OR 30 calendar days in a year, it would instantly qualify as a Lemon - but documentation is still needed to prove that down time.

If the vehicle has not been at a Service Center for the intervals noted above, then some States it can be declared a Lemon with a 3-strike rule meaning, the vehicle has been in for the same redundant repair 3x with no resolution. Again, facts are facts and you need the info/docs to back up the claim.

There’s other intricacies within your Home State Lemon Laws that will outline what is and is not acceptable to claim a Buy Back.

Also to note, if doing a Buy Back there’s 2 types:

Vehicle Replacement - MSRP to MSRP. Vehicle has to be new, any Ford Product and available at a Ford Dealership. Depending on your State Lemon Laws, you may be responsible for any fees (Title, Reg, Doc, etc). If the new MSRP is higher than your original MSRP, you will be responsible for the Tax Difference and MSRP delta out of pocket or rolling into new loan.

Refund - simple as it sounds. You walk away from Ford and receive a refund from Ford. Be aware, again based on your State Lemon Laws, you could be penalized by a vehicle use fee based on mileage as of first repair, which is deducted from the payout. The refund and penalty info is outlined in many threads on here; again which can be found by searching as noted above.

Have you opened a Case Number with a Regional Ford CSR for when your car was in the shop? If not, that should be your first step.

Also with a Buy Back, be aware and it is stated in most of the Lemon Laws, the owner must allow the vehicle manufacturer to try and fix the vehicle, even if it’s multiple times and however long it takes... before a Buy Back can be initiated.

Your homework:
Find and read up on your State’s Lemon Laws. Ford adheres to those laws, including any fees/penalties and they will not deviate from them. Any fees or penalties imposed to a vehicle owner is the result of his or her State’s Lemon Law provisions - Ford just carries out the process abiding by those Laws. if your vehicle does not meet the criteria outlined by your State Lemon Laws, then any claim that does not meet the minimum requirements would be denied.

Last edited:

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Confused by your statement at "around 3000 miles". Sounds like you bought a '19 in the middle of '20 and have put 7000 more miles on since. If the car was purchased used, I don't believe lemon laws apply.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In some states, it's a car time/mileage limit, but subsequent owners have other restrictions, starting with purchase price replacing MSRP, obviously. At any rate, it's always better to start with the manufacturer, without any threats of lemon lawsuits, especially if not original owner, and wanting a Ford replacement, and see where that goes.

But if somebody wants to go the lemon law route, they better have basically perfect documentation indeed.
Sponsored