Left the mustang life

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Not liking the sound of a V8 should be illegal.
In retrospect I should've said "volume" versus "sound". The loudness is a touch excessive for my liking. Which, yeah, I know I'm missing the point and whole purpose of the "full Mustang V8 experience". Maybe I'll get there someday, who knows?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In retrospect I should've said "volume" versus "sound". The loudness is a touch excessive for my liking. Which, yeah, I know I'm missing the point and whole purpose of the "full Mustang V8 experience". Maybe I'll get there someday, who knows?
I was just making a joke, lol. I'm running around with no mufflers, excessive is an understatement. With stock exhaust though, yeah I'm sure it seems loud if you're used to quiet cars, but it's pretty civil honestly.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Im going to be honest, the stang was an excellent performance vehicle, in terms of capability, but it never really clicked for me. i never really "loved it" the way I do my GTI. Not a reflection on the car, but it just wasnt me i think.
Sorry but comparing an Icon car to a shopping cart go getter is not exactly fair. The Mustang is so much more than a GTI. Considering how much stuff I put in my Mustang last week I can even say it's more practical than a GTI if you get used to the fact that you don't have a back seat. Overall my point is that you just didn't appreciate the Mustang for what it is: The most popular car on Instagram, The 55+ years of heritage, the everyday Joe sports car, the definition of the American Dream. The Mustang is not a shopping cart go getter. It's not a boring calculated machine designed to be a shopping cart go getter and do only that. The Mustang is what you want it to be a race car, a highway cruiser, a smoke generating drift machine, Đ° Mulholland on a sunset vert cruiser. To say that you never really "loved it" the way you do with a GTI. It just shows a lack of imagination and maybe just maybe you deserve the boring life that a VW or a Honda offers you. For the rest of us we just make the Mustang our own. My Mustang is a reflection of me in every possible way from my favourite sky blue color to the hidden mods that make it better on the track. There is no way you can have so much fun in a GTI as you can have in Mustang.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I can totally understand that some people prefer the low rpm turbopunch that other engines are offering. That is bascially pretty much the same why people have fun accelerating an electric car. Even the base RWD Mach-E with it's 317lb ft of torque I could ride as a passenger felt awesome when accelerating. A pure V8 engine just needs it's RPM to deliver power. If you drive from stoplight to stoplight, you usally are not reving above 3k so the Coyote can feel pretty underwhelming, while a turboengine usally peaks already at 2k RPM and punches you in the seat.

After I sold my 15 GT I had a Audi TT (2.0l 226hp) for a while, even though the maximum power output was obviously way lower than the coyote, the torque delivery at low rpms felt more fun for backroad and city driving. Only on Autobahn you clearly felt the huge power difference to the Coyote.

How much fun you have with a car is barely measureble by pure numbers. I drove the VW up GTI for a day. Even though it only has 113hp, the car is really fun to drive since it's so light and kind of hilarious as such a small making rumbling sounds.

I personally prefer a V8 sportscar. But I totally get when someone is enjoying a Focus RS more than a Mustang GT.

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Just to clarify,

Im not talking about exhaust or anything like that. Im specifically talking about the 2k rattle that sounds like the thing has piston slap. The bbq tick that sounds vaguely like rod knock. There are at least 3 different noises in the coyote that are "normal" that would have me pulling the engine apart on another car. Engine may be fine, but it stresses me out.
I like BBQ, knockers, and the rumble of a V8. That never stress me out.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
I totally understand and we all have different opinions. If we did not there would only be a few car models. I don't feel I have to explain my choices to anyone neither does the OP.
I know folks who enjoy driving their Miata down a twisty country road and enjoy the lightness and simplicity of the vehicle. Different strokes for different folks and congrats for finding a car that speaks to you...

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
Probably should have kept the Volvo and called it a day.

Personally I'd have kept the mustang and ditched the buick.
s60 was falling apart . I dropped over 5k into fixing it that year and it was still breaking.
Buick makes me smile, mustang didnt. Really what it comes down to.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Is there an easy way to verify my ngauge is unmaried? Like checking something in the menu?
I would say if you are unsure if it is unmarried or not then you did not go through the unmarry process cause you would have remembered it. Simply flashing back to stock does not unmarry the device. The device has to be unmarried from your car and can only be unmarried from your car if it is hooked up to the car it was flashed too. Unfortunately. Devices that are married are not worth much or in most cases anything. Cause once you buy the used device, pay to get it unmarried by manufacturer and then still have top buy a tune. it ends up costing more then a new device.

On your device click tuning and then status. If it says locked to vin then it is still married. This video may help not sure. Also the acords 2.0T i believe is the detuned Civic type R engine. A tune on it will really be amazing from what I have heard.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Also on the note of wheel hop. The mustang was the worst car ive ever had for it. 99% certain wheel hop is why my clutch exploded when i launched the car.
I'd like to chime in on your comments here and earlier.
I found, and find the exhaust note on the '18 I have sometimes irritating. That was not so on the Bullitt with active exhaust as I could turn down the volume. So, if you didn't have that option, I see your point. The '18s and up manual cars had different gearing from the earlier GTs and, for me, with my '19 Bullitt, it kind of ruined the car. It needed the lower gearing of the earlier Mustangs.
That said, IF you had the 17 gearing and/or the selectable exhaust your opinion would be different, I think. I can say moving to the A10 from the 6M of the Bullitt feels like a different car, but I do miss the ability to turn down the exhaust note. My 70 year old brother said "that '18 is the best Mustang you ever owned. Really great, better than the Bullitt".

Sponsored
OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
I would say if you are unsure if it is unmarried or not then you did not go through the unmarry process cause you would have remembered it. Simply flashing back to stock does not unmarry the device. The device has to be unmarried from your car and can only be unmarried from your car if it is hooked up to the car it was flashed too. Unfortunately. Devices that are married are not worth much or in most cases anything. Cause once you buy the used device, pay to get it unmarried by manufacturer and then still have top buy a tune. it ends up costing more then a new device.

On your device click tuning and then status. If it says locked to vin then it is still married. This video may help not sure. Also the acords 2.0T i believe is the detuned Civic type R engine. A tune on it will really be amazing from what I have heard.

It looks like its married :( I reached out to lund to see if they can unmarry it, but i guess i have a paper weight now. (though i might be able to get the dealership to let me unmarrry it. I have to deliver the spare key and the wheel lock .

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
I'd like to chime in on your comments here and earlier.
I found, and find the exhaust note on the '18 I have sometimes irritating. That was not so on the Bullitt with active exhaust as I could turn down the volume. So, if you didn't have that option, I see your point. The '18s and up manual cars had different gearing from the earlier GTs and, for me, with my '19 Bullitt, it kind of ruined the car. It needed the lower gearing of the earlier Mustangs.
That said, IF you had the 17 gearing and/or the selectable exhaust your opinion would be different, I think. I can say moving to the A10 from the 6M of the Bullitt feels like a different car, but I do miss the ability to turn down the exhaust note. My 70 year old brother said "that '18 is the best Mustang you ever owned. Really great, better than the Bullitt".
I genuinely liked the exhaust, that wasnt my issue with it. It was the rattles and clatters the engine made. It sounded like the engine was going to throw a rod or a piston at any moment. Id be driving along windows down, hit the 2k rattle and instantly frown.

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt

Lund said they would unlock it for free for whoever buys it when they get a lund tune.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Lund said they would unlock it for free for whoever buys it when they get a lund tune.
That would be awesome. Everything i read says its about 200. Other tuners cost 225 to 300 for unlocks.

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
I can totally understand that some people prefer the low rpm turbopunch that other engines are offering. That is bascially pretty much the same why people have fun accelerating an electric car. Even the base RWD Mach-E with it's 317lb ft of torque I could ride as a passenger felt awesome when accelerating. A pure V8 engine just needs it's RPM to deliver power. If you drive from stoplight to stoplight, you usally are not reving above 3k so the Coyote can feel pretty underwhelming, while a turboengine usally peaks already at 2k RPM and punches you in the seat.

After I sold my 15 GT I had a Audi TT (2.0l 226hp) for a while, even though the maximum power output was obviously way lower than the coyote, the torque delivery at low rpms felt more fun for backroad and city driving. Only on Autobahn you clearly felt the huge power difference to the Coyote.

How much fun you have with a car is barely measureble by pure numbers. I drove the VW up GTI for a day. Even though it only has 113hp, the car is really fun to drive since it's so light and kind of hilarious as such a small making rumbling sounds.

I personally prefer a V8 sportscar. But I totally get when someone is enjoying a Focus RS more than a Mustang GT.

You get it!

The mustang was great at 5k-8k and running around on-ramps, but I almost never drove it that way.
Driving back roads it felt too big for the narrow roads. It handled better than my GTI no quesiton there, but i enjoyed the GTI more on a back road because I wasnt fighting to keep it in the lanes. On a track id have the mustang all day.
Sponsored