Sponsored

LED Switchback for the EU Mustang - Yes it's real! (and almost plug'n'play)

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
Yes but how can the Osram DRL react with the turn signal ? It's not the same wires.

Did you connect something else to the turn signal wires ?
Where did you splice the power for the white mode of the switchbacks ?

Maybe I'm wrong, but for me it seems to be a ground problem...
Sponsored

yellowpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shane
Vehicle(s)
2016 manual triple yellow with gt stripes
Hi Ace can you please take the pic of wires that you have taped your Switchback into. That way very one will have better better suggestion for you. Cheers

Shane

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yes but how can the Osram DRL react with the turn signal ? It's not the same wires.

Did you connect something else to the turn signal wires ?
Where did you splice the power for the white mode of the switchbacks ?

Maybe I'm wrong, but for me it seems to be a ground problem...
Ground Problem was my thought too.

Have to check if the dealer wired something completely strange when they installed the Osrams. The turning light signal should be untouched, but I will check that in detail and post some pics.

I tried to unplug the parking light connector, so only turning signal was plugged in - same problem. So somehow the turning light gets interfered when the engine is on - Which is really really strange

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
Have you tried to unplug the DRL connector of the Osram light and then Start the engine ?

I saw other videos from German guys with the Osram light and when they put the turn signal on, then the DRL flickers/blinks.
Do you also have something strange like this ?

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Osram DRL is working as intended.

Have to try to disable the Osrams step by step to find the error. Since it's working on papinists car it must be the Osrams :frusty:

Sponsored

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Should work as Papinist has the same ones(supposingly.... as coming from US you never know what ends up in the box at the end).

I trust Dutch guys a bit more in this respect and if it goes wrong it's a bit closer to swap...

US switchbacks are different so it's already surprising they have a EU version...Even DD doesn't have it yet...

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Ok, now I know the Problem thanks to a member in the german forum, and it's really bad.

Some, but not all, S550 got a high voltage of 15V if the engine is running. To compensate that the Body Control Module is using a pulse to some lights for the power - It's called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). So the power Switches between power and no power to reduce the 15V to 12V.
A usual bulb is reacting very slowly, since it has to cool down the glowing before being out. That's why don't see these pulses on the Stock Bulb. But an LED reacts fast, so you see the pulses when you change the lights.

That's the Problem why the first Diode Dynamics sequential turning tribars don't work on some EU Mustangs when the engine is running.
So the best Thing would be if the new Tribar kit, which is claimed to fix this Problem, smoothes the pulses, so a constant Signal will be going to the lights. If that's working fine I just could use the turning Signal going out of the Diode Dynamics Controller.

If it's not working I have so build a Little helper to smooth out the power.

According to the Germany Forum it's kinda common that the Mustang uses the PWM, so if everything works fine on yours, it seems like you're one of the happy few

Here's a Statement of DD, that proofs the turning light pulse on some vehicles:
I am sorry to hear you are having this issue. We have been made aware on some vehicles that the voltage being sent to the turn signals is not constant and not allowing the sequencer to fully charge. We are working on a design change to swap the capacitor for an IC that will help correct this but this is roughly 2 months out from being available.
So Tribarkit V2 hopefully will fix that

Last edited:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Just came to post it wont be anything to do with the OSRAMs, but you already got that figured out :)

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Ok, now I know the Problem thanks to a member in the german forum, and it's really bad.
:eyebulge:
The strangest thing is that this happens only on some cars and not on all. On a mass production item like this, it's weird!

However if you guys remember, I had a similar issue when installing my tribar: Iwanted to use the stock drl signal, but with it my tribar sometimes were powered up only after switching headlights on and then off. My 'eastern' technician said that he faced this issue sometimes and it seems a sort of PWM switching, so the best was to use a different swiched +12v source (aka the window wipers motor).

Unfortunately you can't do this because you need a turning signal.. hopefully you can take advantage of the DD driver (when you will have it)
Is your issue present on both sides?

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I think [MENTION=7100]Ericc B[/MENTION] had a similar issue with power sources when installing his US rear lights.

Had to take an alternative +12V power source as the original module was cutting power to the lights in certain scenarios.

It appears the EU cars have a lot of funky/annoying stuff going on with the lights.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Eric' issue was, IIRC, that US lights draw about 3A while EU needs only 1A. I have seen a recent installation schematics for modded taillights and now it's adviced to get the main power from license plate lights, that seems not checked by the ECU

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Thanks for your feedback Ace. That's really something strange on the car that the power switch between 15V and 12V ...
The Thing is that I can't proof that without an oscilloscope :frusty:

Still thinking about a ground problem or that somehow the power is influenced by another cable. Just hoping the DD controller will fix all of that
Otherwise I could try a Relais, that is slow enough to smooth out the pulses and trigger another 12v to the turning lights

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I'm just thinking at this: you get this strange flashing when activate turning lights, or even with them off?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Should work as Papinist has the same ones(supposingly.... as coming from US you never know what ends up in the box at the end).

I trust Dutch guys a bit more in this respect and if it goes wrong it's a bit closer to swap...

US switchbacks are different so it's already surprising they have a EU version...Even DD doesn't have it yet...
Yeah the box was identical, but then it's always from China (like 99,9% of the stuff)

However it's not an "EU version", these are generic 7440 switchbacks that are suitable for many cars, not only Mustangs :)
Sponsored