Sponsored

Leather seats after a few years

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
Ok I have decided to get leather with my GT PP and not the base GT PP. The big thing now is how will this leather hold up. I've had leather in a previous car years ago. It eventually crack and look bad after a few years. I tried condition and taking care of it as best as possible but it still look like crap after years. I was wondering if the new leather seats don't do that as much anymore. And for you previous Mustang owners that have leather how are your seats looking now? Pictures of leather mustang seats with some wear and tear would be nice to.
Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I believe, and I could be way off so someone correct me, but I think leather needs treated on a regular basis to avoid cracking?

OP
OP
NEED2015GT

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're correct and yes I did condition it in a regular basis it to seem not to work I guess with the winters been so cold up here I don't know

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I believe, and I could be way off so someone correct me, but I think leather needs treated on a regular basis to avoid cracking?
Ive owned my Taurus with leather for 3 years and only the leather on the side of the seat bottom on the driver side is starting to crack. Probably because i slide my leg on it everytime i get in and out of the car so the wear and tear over time took its toll.

As far as treating it, i only treated mine a few times this year and it still looks good. Backseat still looks like new, but im gonna clean all the seats and recondition them again.

I guess alot of it has to do with the climate and the type of leather the manufacturer uses.

OP
OP
NEED2015GT

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's how my Chrysler was to. And yes American car normal put cheaper leather in there cars. Most high cars leather looks better for a longer time. But you the in leather is any better and my last longer.

Sponsored

Kleiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have to say I am a little concerned about the leather in the GT PP but not due to cracking.

Mine has 1900 miles on it and the base of the seat is starting to show wrinkling and the leather seems to be working a little loose. I almost have an obvious ass print. I have been using the heated seats so that may have something to do with it.

I am not a big guy (160lbs) and it is something I will be keeping an eye on and taking up with the dealer if it gets worse.

J

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
It's all about the care.

I use Kali leather life. It's made locally for saddles and stuff. It's incredible. It replenishes natural oils lost during tanning. After it gets good and soaked in, the leather feels good again, not dry.

When I buy a new car, I put it on twice a week for awhile. Then, once it doesn't soak in in hours or days, I go to once a month. My last car was 38k miles, list of short trips (in and out a lot) and the seat bottoms (and back) looked literally like the day I bought it.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I think alot of lower end vehicles with leather has some sort of thick protective layer over the actual hide, so its much easier to clean and much more durable. I read somewhere even the lower end BMW's and Mercedes don't even have real leather (forget the name of the type of the leather)

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
The mustang does have looser leather seats so it will bunch up and wrinkle a little like the previous owner mentioned. All my cars have had leather. With occasional, every couple months of conditioning, I ve never had any real cracking even at 5-6 years old. There will be some wear marks where you slide into the seat and wrinkling. That's unavoidable but I ve never had cracking. All my cars have been under 35k so I doubt any of them used high quality leather.

Sponsored

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Both my 2011 and my 2005 GT had leather that held up fine 4+ years. I'm not a small guy 220#s and I'm known for being rough on everything. Others may have different experiences.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Lexol cleaner and conditioner will keep them looking new for years. Just make sure you follow the directions (I.E. using a damp cloth and removing excess). Doesn't hurt the vinyl at all. Used it on my 11 and I use it on my F150's seats.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner. Also, I do this once a month religiously. On all my previous cars with leather seats, all of them have held up incredibly. Key here is continuous maintenance! Good luck!

Jaxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The leather on the Mustangs seems to be cheap leather. We have few members here already showing wrinkling, creases, or whatever is called. Mine included with barely 500 miles on the clock. I will talk to the dealer to see what they say but the leathers on my previous Hyundai Genesis Coupe looked great even after 110,000 miles.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
The leather on the Mustangs seems to be cheap leather. We have few members here already showing wrinkling, creases, or whatever is called. Mine included with barely 500 miles on the clock. I will talk to the dealer to see what they say but the leathers on my previous Hyundai Genesis Coupe looked great even after 110,000 miles.
This.
Sponsored