Leather drivers seat too soft and bottoming out

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I bought my car used, and I think the previous owner was heavy. I am around 210 and the "ass print" in the cushion is wider than me, and with the stiffer suspension, the cushion suspension is doing more work than it used to and I can feel it or sort of "bottom" out.

I know to replace the passenger lower bunk, is an expensive proposition (around $1500 ish) the drivers side would be more.

Does anyone have a suggestion to stiffen it back up, besides replace it?
Sponsored

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
I bought my car used, and I think the previous owner was heavy. I am around 210 and the "ass print" in the cushion is wider than me, and with the stiffer suspension, the cushion suspension is doing more work than it used to and I can feel it or sort of "bottom" out.

I know to replace the passenger lower bunk, is an expensive proposition (around $1500 ish) the drivers side would be more.

hear me out,

I trade you factory cloth seats, in good condition. Looking to get an inch or two of head room, your seats seem to have had some "lowering"

Deal or no deal? âš–

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Have an upholstery shop take a look at it, would be my suggestion.
I'll have to see if theres a shop near me that can do the work. Very annoying

Sponsored

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

hear me out,

I trade you factory cloth seats, in good condition. Looking to get an inch or two of head room, your seats seem to have had some "lowering"

Deal or no deal? âš–
I think i'll pass on that one lol

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Yeah.

Take it apart and replace the seat cushion material. Probably cost you $20.

Or pay someone $500 to do it for you.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase

Check salvage yards for a seat. Should be easy to find one.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Check salvage yards for a seat. Should be easy to find one.
Here's a complete set, 8k miles on them. $900 complete. Use what you need and resell the rest. Probably could break even or make a little profit.
Wouldn't is just be easier and cheaper just to get OP's seat bottom fixed?

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I know these are two completely different vehicles, but I just did our 03 Expedition (eddie bauer) a month ago, I did take the seat out of the unit for more room to work. This had heat and A/C seats also, so you have to make sure your cushion has the venting in the new cushion.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Yeah.

Take it apart and replace the seat cushion material. Probably cost you $20.

Or pay someone $500 to do it for you.
@PC_GUARD it's not super difficult to disassemble these seats. I swapped my cloth seat covers for oem leather and have experience taking these seats apart. You can swap the cushions if you're even mildly mechanically inclined (like me). I bet you could do this in about two hours working at a leisurely pace.

The seat cushions aren't exactly inexpensive, $130 from Levittown that's a small price to pay to comfort your butt

Relevant CJPP VIDEO how to disassemble S550 seats. "You'll be back on the road in no time" :wink:

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Wouldn't is just be easier and cheaper just to get OP's seat bottom fixed?
Maybe, maybe not. Automotive upholstery work is not cheap. I'd bet a shop would charge at least $250 for it. If the OP were to get the seats I suggested it would probably take less than an hour to swap drivers seats and then resell the rest with his old drivers seat. I could conceivably see making a small profit with the only work being the actual swap and whatever is involved in selling/shipping the leftovers.
I guess it just depends on your individual preferences...

Deleted member 35644

Buy a new bottom cushion online. Remove your seat, flip it over and you'll see how easy this job is. I've reupholstered two Mustangs with OEM leather, and it took a few hours to do all the seats, but it's really not hard. The bottom cushion on a front seat is a snap. Save yourself a bundle, this is very DIY.
Sponsored