Sponsored

Least Favorite thing on your S550

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So what happens? The engine races to redline then? The only answer is Ford wanted to cut costs, but I'm baffled they had the nerve to cut a freaking momentary switch that can't cost more than a buck to them... and it was already there in prior years, since everything else is already there; just no switch. Oh well. At any rate, the correct way to address cruise on our manual cars should be if only the clutch is depressed, cut the throttle, and when the shift is done (closing the switch), resume prior speed automatically. If you hit the brakes, then you need to resume manually, like on every other car. Oh well. At least now I know to cut off cruise if I need to downshift. The good news is I rarely use cruise anyway, so not an issue for me. But for those cars that have adaptive cruise, it must be a PITA to deal with that. Ha ha.
Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had stickers made...these are on my 20” wheels..I did do a set for my BULLITT wheels in Black/white! I just used a local shop I’ve used before. Here they are in Black... View attachment 502860
F287CCE0-7FBF-40FB-A482-2262FE0486FF.jpeg
95B5E45E-C2A0-4DA8-888F-72F17D6F7B11.jpeg
Sorry to be so dumb but just to be clear, you had vinyl stickers made up, and simply peeled off the backing to adhere the stickers over the existing center caps? Do they deteriorate with time, washing etc? Thanks

OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
As for the engine noise, I havent developed that odd 'typewriter' tick, but the direct injection pump is noisy. One thing I have found on this and other VVT OHC V-8's is VVT clatter at light throttle. Just plugging along lightly going on and off throttle you can hear valve clatter from the VVT. Get into the gas, and it goes away. Took me a while to adjust to this on my TRD PRO Tundra, and is the same on the Bullitt... Not a big deal.

I'm surprised to hear that the CC doesn't disengage when clutch is depressed. Haven't tried this yet, but is surprising. That is pretty standard fare on most MT cars/trucks.

Bottom line, there are VERY few things to gripe about Ford got much of this right.

OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
So what happens? The engine races to redline then? The only answer is Ford wanted to cut costs, but I'm baffled they had the nerve to cut a freaking momentary switch that can't cost more than a buck to them... and it was already there in prior years, since everything else is already there; just no switch. Oh well. At any rate, the correct way to address cruise on our manual cars should be if only the clutch is depressed, cut the throttle, and when the shift is done (closing the switch), resume prior speed automatically. If you hit the brakes, then you need to resume manually, like on every other car. Oh well. At least now I know to cut off cruise if I need to downshift. The good news is I rarely use cruise anyway, so not an issue for me. But for those cars that have adaptive cruise, it must be a PITA to deal with that. Ha ha.

I just took a long trip and was able to play with the cruise control some. If you're driving and have the cruise control set and want to change gears all you have to do is press in the clutch the throttle drops you go to your new gear and the car will automatically adjust to keep the same speed. I also popped it into neutral and released to the clutch and the throttle was disengaged and stayed at idle speed. As soon as I put it back in gear it automatically rev matched and kept the cruise at your preset speed.

I actually kind of like it it's very cool. Otherwise if I needed to downshift while on cruise control say going up a hill it would disengage it and then I would have to press buttons to reengage it. Now with this system all you do is change gear let off the clutch and drive on. Of course touching the brake will disable it but not the clutch. I really like it. kudos Ford....

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Interesting. Thank you for doing that. So the rpm never shoot up under any circumstances, apparently. I'm curious what exactly is going on to sense that, but since there's no clutch switch, it has to be the ECU. As soon as it detects a sudden increase in rpm without a speed increase, it cuts it off. ECU 'brains' are so fast now that it can detect that without a big spike; maybe 100 rpm or so, which is hardly detectable by a driver. So I agree the new system is actually better than the old switch, which just cuts CC off. First cost-cutting I see that actually makes sense. Ha ha.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - The one aspect that is mildly annoying is that if you shut the engine off, you have to hit the on button each time. My GM cars don't require that step. Is there away to go in and program it to be on all the time so you only have to hit the set button when you want to engage cruise control? Bruce

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Sorry to be so dumb but just to be clear, you had vinyl stickers made up, and simply peeled off the backing to adhere the stickers over the existing center caps? Do they deteriorate with time, washing etc? Thanks
no such thing as dumb Questions... yes, had a set made up for my 2015 Stang Too.. 20,000 miles when and they were as new as the day I put them on!!

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Hi - The one aspect that is mildly annoying is that if you shut the engine off, you have to hit the on button each time. My GM cars don't require that step. Is there away to go in and program it to be on all the time so you only have to hit the set button when you want to engage cruise control? Bruce
There is no way (that I can find) to keep the CC on after you shut the car off. I actually like the fact that it goes off. Like you say my Chevy would keep the CC on forever until you shut it off. I didn't care for that much.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway, my least favorite thing about my S550 is the paint Ford uses. I have never seen such a weak and easily chipped/damaged automotive paint.
You can thank the environmentalist for that one, it ain't Ford.

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You can thank the environmentalist for that one, it ain't Ford.
It's a safety feature. You wouldn't want someone to start driving and not be aware that the CC is engaged because they might accidentally hit the Resume button and the car take off.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's a safety feature. You wouldn't want someone to start driving and not be aware that the CC is engaged because they might accidentally hit the Resume button and the car take off.
Apples & oranges,

But to answer what you're posting about, that cannot happen brake peddle disengages the feature, every time it is touched

I mean really it is a machine, the operator needs to be engage and not a functioning idiot .

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Interesting. Thank you for doing that. So the rpm never shoot up under any circumstances, apparently. I'm curious what exactly is going on to sense that, but since there's no clutch switch, it has to be the ECU. As soon as it detects a sudden increase in rpm without a speed increase, it cuts it off. ECU 'brains' are so fast now that it can detect that without a big spike; maybe 100 rpm or so, which is hardly detectable by a driver. So I agree the new system is actually better than the old switch, which just cuts CC off. First cost-cutting I see that actually makes sense. Ha ha.
Are you sure there is no clutch position switch ? Do you have to press the clutch to start the car in the US as in Europe ? If so there must be a switch ?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes, there's a switch for start-up, obvioulsy, but it's at the very end of the pedal travel. Many folks don't even activate it during normal driving. But there's no initial pedal travel switch anymore, nor a rheostat switch, which knows where exactly the clutch pedal is.

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Apples & oranges,

But to answer what you're posting about, that cannot happen brake peddle disengages the feature, every time it is touched

I mean really it is a machine, the operator needs to be engage and not a functioning idiot .
The brake peddle doesn't turn off the resume button, it still works after you touch the brake.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The brake peddle doesn't turn off the resume button, it still works after you touch the brake.
Disengages the cruse control, can't you read ?
Sponsored