jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
As the title reads, has anyone with F/I tried launching in 2nd gear. I know the track app isn't exact but I think it makes for a good baseline. I started working on this late fall a couple of time after doing nothing but roasting my tires off and not getting my quick shift fast enough. I was doing a 0/60 best time of around 5.5 sec. After working the 2nd gear launch witch not only feels faster my times dropped to 4.9/5.0. I'm rev'ing to around 5000rpm and let her go. I know some have changed rear gears to 3.51's but I'm not interested in doing that as I really like how the car drives with the 3,73's
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
5000rpm clutch drops in 2nd gear? eeesh

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Just swap to 3.31s. It will be cheeper than replacing the transmission.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
im assuming you are launching it on the street which is the first issue...the most simple solution would be much better tires, followed by suspension upgrades. no need to change the gears for a launch, that is clearly not the cars issue.

please take no offense, but you just need to learn to launch the car better. 5k clutch dumps will do nothing more than destroy your drivetrain, these cars aren't built to withstand that kind of beating. slipping the clutch is not a bad thing...and assuming the clutch can hold your power level, you will get much better times slipping it properly with a good tire.

I can get my nearly stock suspension 800+rwhp whipple cobra to get out HARD on the street with a McLeod rxt and nto5r @3800rpm, but I work the car and make the power and clutch work to my advantage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Unfortunely slipping the clutch with any kind of power will just shread the stock clutch. Once you add power. That added power will always find the weak link and break it. If it's not your axles. It'll be a clutch. You have to upgrade everything as you go or plan on replacing a lot of parts.

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Unfortunely slipping the clutch with any kind of power will just shread the stock clutch. Once you add power. That added power will always find the weak link and break it. If it's not your axles. It'll be a clutch. You have to upgrade everything as you go or plan on replacing a lot of parts.
This is true, but you also shouldn't put a blower/turbo on your car and think all the stock parts will hold up to that. Clutch/axles should almost be required.

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
I didn't do a very good job of describing that. Basically I'm pushing the throttle WOT, and releasing the clutch simultaneously. The RPM's are around 5k on initial launch. I'm not holding it a 5k with launch control or anything. I've got no problem if I start breaking things, axle's clutch ext. I am just prolonging the inevitable as it is. I am a weekend warrior guy and trying to keep the car flexible in use. I really like the 3.73's for just jetting around and the tires,,,,,,, not sure what I'm doing yet. Drag radial or something just not sure because again want to keep the car flexible in use.

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
To expand just a bit, one post on here talked about feathering the throttle another is slipping the clutch. I'm basically doing a normal launch without burning my tires up at WOT. I'm sure there is a really smart guy in here that would knows the drive ratio equivalent of difference of changing to 3.31 compared to what I'm doing with 3.73's out of 2nd?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
To expand just a bit, one post on here talked about feathering the throttle another is slipping the clutch. I'm basically doing a normal launch without burning my tires up at WOT. I'm sure there is a really smart guy in here that would knows the drive ratio equivalent of difference of changing to 3.31 compared to what I'm doing with 3.73's out of 2nd?
Second gear is 2.43.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
Second gear is 2.43.
So just asking? That would mean I'm just launching with a really tall gear. Again I'm doing nothing different than a typical launch just out of 2nd. After reading my first post it's not very clear. I'm not rev'ing and holding to 5k and dumping, I'm just throttling down and than releasing clutch. The slight hesitation between the throttle and clutch release engine hits around 5k. I'm pushing just over 600rwhp so it's seems effortless to the car. I'm still getting just a slight tire spin and go!

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Yes you are just launching with a taller gear. More stress on the clutch and less mechanical advantage for the engine. Eliminating a shift saves some time. Depending on how good you are at launching in first and how fast you shift the way you are doing it could be faster for certain drivers. For the best drivers starting in first is the absolute fastest the car will go as it gives the engine the greatest mechanical advantage in accelerating the car.
Sponsored