Launch help needed. First time at at track in 27 years bad results

Rockgt302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled
Yesterday I went to Island dragway in NJ to race my car. The car is a 2015 PP manual with a stage 2 whipple running a 3.625 pulley. I am using whipples tune. I have it set up to pull about 10% power in first and 5% in 2nd. I did this to try and mitigate spin. I am running 331 gears in the PP torsen rear with Gforce half shafts. Ford racing springs. No other suspension mods.
Tires are nitto nt05 305/35-19s on sve 19x11 wheels.
My best ET was 12.3 at 127mph, 60ft was 2.3xx. 1st was useless, all spin and terrible hop, 2nd spun a fair amount but starting grabbing at the top of the gear.
After talking with some of the staff, they said for a stick driver I was nailing it but the hop was killing me.
Ordered steedas basic stop the hop kit (3 part set up).
What else should I be doing here?
I was trapping higher MPH then the two hellcats and the same MPH as a newer Z06, all on drag radials. Both cats were running around 11.2 and the z hit 10.9
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Get rid of the drag radials. You want a bias ply for a stick shift car. Your wheel hop will go away like magic.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Firstly, NT05 or NT05R? Secondly, ignore my firstly and get bias-ply slicks.

Another option if you are running NT05R drag radials, is the clutch delay valve. Check this out : http://magnusmotorsports.com/product/magnus-launch-control-device/

It will wear through your clutch faster, but might be a good solution if bias-ply slicks are not an option.

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

Another option if you are running NT05R drag radials, is the clutch delay valve. Check this out : http://magnusmotorsports.com/product/magnus-launch-control-device/

It will wear through your clutch faster, but might be a good solution if bias-ply slicks are not an option.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Put a set of slicks on or do a auto swap! Personally, I love the struggle of a manual so I'm sticking with my mt-82. Don't worry about et's, to me it's all about having fun! I'd rather loose shifting than win with a auto any day. With that said, If I was racing for $ I would be driving a auto because manuals are definitely slower.

OP
OP

Rockgt302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled
Put a set of slicks on or do a auto swap! Personally, I love the struggle of a manual so I'm sticking with my mt-82. Don't worry about et's, to me it's all about having fun! I'd rather loose shifting than win with a auto any day. With that said, If I was racing for $ I would be driving a auto because manuals are definitely slower.
This is how I feel about manuals as well. I'm not looking for the hero run. All the spinning isn't that fun. Going full slick makes me wonder if I'll break the tranny. I don't want an auto, shifting is too much fun. Anyone can drive an auto.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
This is how I feel about manuals as well. I'm not looking for the hero run. All the spinning isn't that fun. Going full slick makes me wonder if I'll break the tranny. I don't want an auto, shifting is too much fun. Anyone can drive an auto.
Get a street legal bias ply. It’s designed to lessen the shock on your drivetrain.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It is satisfying when you can optimize a stick shift combo. But it is also difficult at times! Check out my NA stick shift fox body in my sig. Quicker and faster than most boosted auto setups LOL.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Are u ne a NT05 or Nt05R

I thought NT05 was a street tire, you'll never hook on that
GET A NT05r or MT DR

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Are u ne a NT05 or Nt05R

I thought NT05 was a street tire, you'll never hook on that
GET A NT05r or MT DR
He's trying to launch a stick shift car. You do NOT want to launch on a prepped surface (dragstrip) with a stick shift and a drag radial. If you want to launch a stick shift car at the track with any kind of power - you need a either a DOT legal bias ply tire (drive it to the track) or a full on slick (change tires at the track). Simple explanation? A manual transmission car has a direct MECHANICAL link from the engine to the transmission - and then to the drive line. Automatics have a fluid dampened connection (torque converter).

Hammering the throttle on an automatic equipped high HP car (From a stop) is one thing. Now picture the same car with a stick shift - and revving and dumping the clutch.

A bias ply tire has more sidewall than a low profile drag radial. It actually cushions the driveline shock when transferring power to the ground.

Tire will solve wheel hop as well. Seriously - get a set of DOT legal MT - like the Mickey Thompson ET Street R Bias:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-et-street-r-bias-tire.html

Pair that with a 17x9 or 17x10 wheel (I used a cheap Bullitt style knock off :

https://www.americanmuscle.com/solidblack-bullitt-17x9-0513.html

Or you can check out Racestars.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I've tried to make a dot bias work on both manual and auto, never stacks up to a true slick.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
He's trying to launch a stick shift car. You do NOT want to launch on a prepped surface (dragstrip) with a stick shift and a drag radial. If you want to launch a stick shift car at the track with any kind of power - you need a either a DOT legal bias ply tire (drive it to the track) or a full on slick (change tires at the track). Simple explanation? A manual transmission car has a direct MECHANICAL link from the engine to the transmission - and then to the drive line. Automatics have a fluid dampened connection (torque converter).

Hammering the throttle on an automatic equipped high HP car (From a stop) is one thing. Now picture the same car with a stick shift - and revving and dumping the clutch.

A bias ply tire has more sidewall than a low profile drag radial. It actually cushions the driveline shock when transferring power to the ground.

Tire will solve wheel hop as well. Seriously - get a set of DOT legal MT - like the Mickey Thompson ET Street R Bias:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-et-street-r-bias-tire.html

Pair that with a 17x9 or 17x10 wheel (I used a cheap Bullitt style knock off :

https://www.americanmuscle.com/solidblack-bullitt-17x9-0513.html

Or you can check out Racestars.
Man, coming from the GM world and running DR on LS based stuff with the LS6 and T-56 I don’t understand why u can’t run a a DR on a 6sp GT

Is it a light build, that weak?
Sponsored