Sponsored

Launch control: Best method of releasing clutch pedal?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

I know how to activate launch control and have searched but my questins are more about:

1. Clutch pedal release: Side step clutch, fast smooth release or just normal slow release as per normal driving?
2. Do I keep the accelerator pedal at WOT?
3. When changing to 2nd, does one keep accelerator floor or lift when using LC?
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
If you side step it or release it fast it will bog down. Just use LC floor the gas pedal then preload the driveline with the clutch pedal and do a quick slip on the clutch and when changing gears you need to raise the gas pedal in order to change gears

RubyRed PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
I have tried dumping the clutch and feathering the clutch. When dumping, I just get incredible wheel spin and hop. When feathering, i'm burning up the clutch (I could smell it). I can't seem to get launch control to work like others do. Maybe my tires suck, I don't know.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Will give it a go, I shall just release the pedal fast but smoothly. As I don't want to stress the drivetrain too much or burn up the clutch, I shall just try the lowest 3000rpm setting. :)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have tried dumping the clutch and feathering the clutch. When dumping, I just get incredible wheel spin and hop. When feathering, i'm burning up the clutch (I could smell it). I can't seem to get launch control to work like others do. Maybe my tires suck, I don't know.
Think this is the wheel hop everyone complains about. You definitely don't want to be burning the clutch.

Popping the clutch from launch is normally what I would do. If there is any clutch feathering, it's extremely light. I've always popped the clutch from a 3-4k launch. Anything higher will just be a ton of wheel spin unless you have the tires for it.

And to answer the OP, always let off the accelerator to change gears unless you have flat foot shifting software which is possible through ECU tuning unless Ford provides that.

RubyRed PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
Think this is the wheel hop everyone complains about. You definitely don't want to be burning the clutch.

Popping the clutch from launch is normally what I would do. If there is any clutch feathering, it's extremely light. I've always popped the clutch from a 3-4k launch. Anything higher will just be a ton of wheel spin unless you have the tires for it.

And to answer the OP, always let off the accelerator to change gears unless you have flat foot shifting software which is possible through ECU tuning unless Ford provides that.
I'll try somewhere in between dumping and feathering. Also, is it best to put traction control into sport mode or just leave like it is as full on?
Sponsored