Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
The Mach-E will just become the Mustang. They will lengthen the wheelbase a bit, and lower the roofline over time with technology advancements and it will eventually just become the Mustang. The styling of the concepts is already starting to look more and more Mustang'ey. They just need to figure out that roofline with the batteries you need to sit on.

20220122_113015.jpg
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
since batteries are heavy as hell, Ford is right to wait until new battery technology comes up through the pipeline before making the Stang all electric
there are no advances worth anything for the next 20+ years. They keep promising "10 more years" for the last 50.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I selfishly wanted my 350R to be the last specialty NA performance car...but I've been saying - and I think this makes it more likely - that Ford has enough time to build another ultimate NA Mustang before EV.

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
85 Mustang GT, 2019 Audi A4, 2023 MCS, 2004 BMW Z4
I was looking forward to a potential awd option, especially if they paired it with a V8 and manual transmission (I knew it was unlikely, but its been done before).

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Manufacturers love the idea of BEV as it ticks all the boxes for them. If I was in charge of ford I would be thinking that the s650 should be a light styling refresh of the s550 done on the cheap. I would be putting all my money into an s750 which would be a 2 door coupe build on a shared Mach E skateboard. While we may like the idea of a hybrid awd, that would be a nightmare for ford. High development costs that couldn’t be amortised over multiple vehicle lines. High complexity so lots of warranty claims given fords production capabilities.

However a fully BEV mustang would be:

1. Simple to assemble - ie not many moving parts and skills required to plug it together so cheap to build. Already have a Mach E skateboard so just stick a coupe body on top.

2. New and shiny en vogue + high cost of batteries so high retail price.

3. High retail price means no one pays outright so they buy on a form of finance which means more profit.

4. Low service / maintenance requirements so you won’t need as many dealers. Ie less cost.

5. 5-7 yr projected lifespan of vehicles will mean a higher rate of replacement cars sold in future. Cars won’t live on, into the 3rd, 4th, Nth owner for 10+ yrs. they will be recycled when they get traded for a small discount on a new, lightly used one.
Therefore more new sales.

6. See point above…. If you only need to make it last 5 -7 yrs then it does not need to be high quality, you don’t need to carry parts stock for many yrs etc. you can throw it together cheaply and if
It develops weird electrical issues out of warranty it will just get recycled.

7. can sell into all world markets if it’s a BEV. Can’t do that with a ICE.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I selfishly wanted my 350R to be the last specialty NA performance car...but I've been saying - and I think this makes it more likely - that Ford has enough time to build another ultimate NA Mustang before EV.
Time…yes. Money…not so much. I think we’ll see one more high performance ICE Mustang but I do not think it will be a Shelby. I agree with others that a Boss would be next in line.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I respectfully disagree on several points, but I do wish I had your pockets and could buy and finance vehicles as often as you do. :crackup:

As a consumer, if the cost is price-prohibitive, I'm not going to buy it, financing or not. I have to believe the price of the car is worth it.

I'd never consider a vehicle with an expected lifespan on 5-7 years. My current vehicle is 14 YO and has at least another 6 years left.
Can you say subscription? Maybe that’s the end game. Ownership will be a thing of the past, just like ICE. YUCK!

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
We are on the same page. I’ve only ever bought one new car and that was a mustang s550. I only buy something that I can afford and I don’t like PCP leasing etc. My last car was 16 yrs old when I sold it on for a mere £500. But (certainly in my country) people like us are in the minority. I can’t think of many people I know who own their cars outright. Most of them seem to be on PCP finance deals. As we progress further towards the BEV future I believe traditional car companies will move even more towards becoming finance/loan companies who will extend credit to the consumer to sit upon their skateboards. The really clever ones like Volvo have already become vehicle rental shops where you rent a vehicle for your day to day needs with all insurance costs included, then you can swap to a larger / smaller vehicle as and when your needs change.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I posted this on M7G but if you’re not on there any idea what is this all about? From the latest Stampede teaser.

43B7EF2A-7BEF-4EB1-8EE4-2A41289839DD.jpeg

Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I'd be highly surprised they don't publish one more special mustang before the put an end to their ICE vehicles. I can't see them NOT doing something special by 2025 or 2026 till the last one rolls off the line in 2028.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Time…yes. Money…not so much. I think we’ll see one more high performance ICE Mustang but I do not think it will be a Shelby. I agree with others that a Boss would be next in line.
im not saying it needs to be a Shelby - just that it should exceed performance and Be easy on the eyes :). I’m hoping for another SVT Cobra.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
im not saying it needs to be a Shelby - just that it should exceed performance and Be easy on the eyes :). I’m hoping for another SVT Cobra.
You are going to have to do a lot more than hoping. :giggle: SVT is dead and buried. Ford has said so numerous times. We now have Ford Performance. Cobra means Shelby so that's not happening. But I'm still liking a "Boss".

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I'm gonna take a wild swing at this one. Since there has been a bunch of Mach 1 benchmarking vs s650 pictures, the new GT performance will basically be Mach 1 goodies on a GT.

Just a guess

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna take a wild swing at this one. Since there has been a bunch of Mach 1 benchmarking vs s650 pictures, the new GT performance will basically be Mach 1 goodies on a GT.

Just a guess
Good guess but at what price? Even with the M1 goodies who is going to pay that price for a plain badged GT? But maybe a reincarnation of the PP2? That could be interesting.
Sponsored