Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Seems there are multiple sources with these recent developments:

Article courtesy of CarBuzz:
Insiders Claim Hybrid And AWD Mustang Plans Have Been Scrapped https://carbuzz.com/news/insiders-claim-hybrid-and-awd-mustang-plans-have-been-scrapped

Insiders Claim Hybrid And AWD Mustang Plans Have Been Scrapped

The rumored models seem to have been just that.

Muscle car and Blue Oval fans alike are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the all-new Ford Mustang, which will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. Little is known about the seventh generation Mustang, except that it will be made available with a manual transmission and reportedly debut with the existing V8 and four-pot engines - the V8 appearing to be confirmed in Ford's latest teaser.

At the time, we assumed Ford would press the tried and tested powertrains into duty until the planned hybrid engines were ready. But it seems the hybrid Mustang is no longer on the table. This is according to Automotive News, which cites three people close to the matter.

Initially slated for a mid-decade introduction, Ford has reportedly scrapped the electrified variant, but the reason is unknown. Currently, there's no word on whether the hybrid will make a return towards the end of the decade. This will be great news to traditionalists, who love the Mustang for its unassisted V8.

But that's not the only new feature to be scrapped. The rumored AWD Mustang has also been killed, according to the company insiders. With the current generation Charger and Challenger on life support, there will soon be no all-wheel drive options in the muscle car class.

Again, this should come as a relief to purists. After all, the Mustang has always been an affordable way to get behind the wheel of a V8-powered vehicle with a penchant for doing burnouts. All-wheel drive would bring more grip and tractability but also add an air of civility at odds with the iconic muscle car's image.

However, there is some bad news. With Ford extending its product lifecycle from six to eight years, the S650 may be the very last ICE-powered Mustang. The Dearborn-based company has launched an all-electric assault on the industry in recent months, and it was only a matter of time before the brand's most admired car went down the battery power route.

Earlier reports suggest the all-electric Mustang will enter production in 2028, which gives enthusiasts some time to savor the ICE experience. But by then, Dodge's all-electric Challenger will have been on the scene for several years. The upside as far as Ford is concerned is that it will be clear to see whether there is, in fact, a market for battery-powered muscle cars.

Automotive analyst Karl Brauer said Ford's customer base may reward the company's slow pivot toward electric Mustangs. "If there's a stream of those coming, that's as much, if not more effective for sales of that vehicle than any new, innovative technology. The Mustang buyer base will reward a more traditional approach and less 'evolution' than the average new vehicle."
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Seems there are multiple sources with these recent developments:

Article courtesy of CarBuzz:
Insiders Claim Hybrid And AWD Mustang Plans Have Been Scrapped https://carbuzz.com/news/insiders-claim-hybrid-and-awd-mustang-plans-have-been-scrapped
Scrapping everything new and trying to milk current powertrain production makes sense, especially since this is the last hoorah for the V8. It may be the last hoorah for the Mustang coupe as well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Mustang went the way of the Chevy Blazer and turned into a pedestrian family SUV. They are halfway there already. Never say never.

The writing is on the wall for the Mustang. Some people see it, some people don't. It won't matter in the end, people won't have a choice when it goes away anyway. Ford sees a dying segment (muscle car segment) and will follow the same route as Dodge and Chevy, just a little later timeline.

This is it folks. If you want your V8, get it soon. If you already have your V8, hold on to it. If you are waiting for an electric Mustang, that's cool too, but the wait is for several more years.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
This is it folks. If you want your V8, get it soon. If you already have your V8, hold on to it. If you are waiting for an electric Mustang, that's cool too, but the wait is for several more years.
LOL wrong.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Earlier reports suggest the all-electric Mustang will enter production in 2028, which gives enthusiasts some time to savor the ICE experience. But by then, Dodge's all-electric Challenger will have been on the scene for several years. The upside as far as Ford is concerned is that it will be clear to see whether there is, in fact, a market for battery-powered muscle cars.
Can't wait to see when EV Charger reaches 70,000 miles, and see if its battery will need replacing. I saw a dealer estimating ~$30K to replace battery for Chevy Bolt w 70K miles.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you already have your V8, hold on to it.
Soon, a beginning of Cubanization of USA -- keeping old ICE cars running.

Sponsored

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
No AWD and no hybrid just pushed up the release of the EV Mustang. I would not be surprised to see an all Electric Mustang within four years. Sticking another body on the Mach-E is not a decade long task...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Soon, a beginning of Cubanization of USA -- keeping old ICE cars running.
This is what I can see happening to California with a ban on new ICE sales.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow this is great news! I love it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
LOL wrong.
Which part? The S650 will be the last V8 so holding on to what you have might make sense if you really love it. The S750 is slated for 2028 so that’s a little while longer.

Can't wait to see when EV Charger reaches 70,000 miles, and see if its battery will need replacing. I saw a dealer estimating ~$30K to replace battery for Chevy Bolt w 70K miles.
The Chevy in question was 12 years old and out of warranty. Also as it was a 1st Gen EV the battery was discontinued. The dealer had to buy a battery where they could find one and quite frankly got taken to the cleaners for it. With today’s technology I hope this doesn’t happen again. The industry has to make sure replacement batteries are affordable or there is going to be a big problem.

No AWD and no hybrid just pushed up the release of the EV Mustang. I would not be surprised to see an all Electric Mustang within four years. Sticking another body on the Mach-E is not a decade long task...
Don’t think so. The 2028 release date for the S750 already took this new info into account. At least I certainly hope not. I want to keep my 19’ GT/CS until 2027.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw a dealer estimating ~$30K to replace battery for Chevy Bolt w 70K miles

The Chevy in question was 12 years old and out of warranty.
My 2009 Jeep Wrangler is 14 years old w 130K miles. My replacement battery will cost $130.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If it is an EV then it is NOT a muscle car... sorry. Do not care if it is called a Mustang, it will not be a Mustang anymore.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I'll never buy a pure EV. E assist, fine but not wholly electric.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, and I live in CA and today they are telling us to not charge our electric cars.
The grid cannot do it, this aint gonna happen. Hybrids probably, all ev, never in my lifetime.
I seen that shit online today... I about died when I read that.
Sponsored