Sponsored

Last year for V8 2024 (and Mach-E discussion) via Ford Performance conference call

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Saw this message from a reliable source.

We were invited to a conference call, along with other Mustang registry and car club decision makers, with Ford Performance’s enthusiast manager. The purpose was to discuss the new Mustang Mach E. I’ll explain some things that came out of the call.

1) It’s happening. Petitions won’t change that. There were many meetings that happened regarding calling it a Mustang and putting a pony on it. The execs were convinced of the idea and that’s that. We are the driving force for ourselves. The hobbyist can do what they want of course, and Ford isn’t interested in our opinion.

2) The purpose of the Mach E and why they called it a Mustang is purely for sales. The execs feel that in spite of declining Mustang sales that the Mustang Mach E will keep the Mustang program alive. The reality is V8 truck sales are more profitable than V8 Mustang sales. It is also easier and more likely to be successful to piggyback off the Mustang brand rather than create a new one or use an existing one. The competition is Tesla. They are banking on the fact you can take your Mach E to any Ford dealership for service. Tesla on the other hand has an 18 day lead time on coming to your location to work on it. We really didn’t get an answer or ask why not a 4-door Mustang or electric Mustang.

3) The executive culture at Ford is a younger crowd. They don’t understand or realize the same heritage of the Mustang as many of us do. There is a disparity between the executives and the hobbyist (us) and essentially they are out of touch with us.

4) “Research” that was done, which may not always be accurate, shows that the target market for sales believes the Mustang is too obnoxious and loud. It also didn’t lend itself to being a family car with the virtually non-useful back seats and lack of 4 doors.

5) By 2024 the V8 engine will not meet emission standards with the “green new deal”. Ford doesn’t have or the money to make them compliant at this time. Once again the Mach E is slated to be the prop for the future pony Mustang generations.

6) Spring 2020 will introduce the new Mustang.

7) They don’t want us to bash the Mach E
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I see the disparity between "old timers" and newer generations all the time as an IT consultant. Unfortunately, the newer generations are calling the shots. That's why you have so many data breaches affecting so many big companies. I tell them you can't hack a mainframe but they don't listen... until it's too late. But, that's a whole other topic.

Most Mustang owners are over 50, many waaay over 50. We don't represent the current generation's attitudes about cars. In many respects we are out of touch. It's ironic that the cars made now finally have the performance we always wished they would have, right before they become dinosaurs.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I see the disparity between "old timers" and newer generations all the time as an IT consultant. Unfortunately, the newer generations are calling the shots. That's why you have so many data breaches affecting so many big companies. I tell them you can't hack a mainframe but they don't listen... until it's too late. But, that's a whole other topic.

Most Mustang owners are over 50, many waaay over 50. We don't represent the current generation's attitudes about cars. In many respects we are out of touch. It's ironic that the cars made now finally have the performance we always wished they would have, right before they become dinosaurs.
My wife and I are both 33 and are in love with our GT. Unfortunately, not many people our age and younger understand the heritage or the driving experience of this car. In my case and the wife's the V-8 sound is what puts the smile on our face. The power delivery and the combined soundtrack is just an experience that I cannot replicate with my V6 car. Anyways, I am planning to purchase a few of my fav V-8 sports cars over the next 3-5 years so when they are not made any longer, I can be the old guy with the cool cars who actually drives them!

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
If I’m getting equal or better performance than the current V8, it could be a W3 + electric engine in there for all I care. I’ll miss the sound, but the 40mpg average will help soothe me. :p

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My wife and I are both 33 and are in love with our GT. Unfortunately, not many people our age and younger understand the heritage or the driving experience of this car. In my case and the wife's the V-8 sound is what puts the smile on our face. The power delivery and the combined soundtrack is just an experience that I cannot replicate with my V6 car. Anyways, I am planning to purchase a few of my fav V-8 sports cars over the next 3-5 years so when they are not made any longer, I can be the old guy with the cool cars who actually drives them!
I literally had a guy, maybe 35 or so, yesterday stop me and ask me if I could drive away really loud because his kid, maybe 6, LOVED Mustangs. There are still lots of younger people that love the sound of a nice v8. The problem is that there are very few profits left in them.

Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Ecoboost sales in the f150 are the beginning of the end. Ford could spread development costs between several platforms before for the v8...

Now with most f150s being Ecoboost...

The door has been opened for change.
Plus the fact they made the last Ford GT a twin turbo 6

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
I believe there will still be a V8 in the future, granted it may be a Hybrid V8. There will still be companies that will make Performance V8, V10, etc... vehicles

If car companies are "panicking" about the "Green New Deal" from the Politician Nut Jobs, then unfortunately car company execs will have to look at themselves in the mirror once they ruin the company

To me, the stuff that was said in the original post, if it did indeed from a reliable source, it sounds like they only care about City Folks and dont care about country folks

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I would be open to an electric 2 door coupe mustang. I would rather have a V8 though.

An electric motor can be a very potent powerplant for racing and fun.

It doesn't have the sound or feel of a V8 but it can scoot along very well on it's own merit.

Side note, I think Ford missed the mark with the mach e.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
As I posted in another thread the other day I am not expecting another V8 Mustang in the UK / Europe, as the rest of the world follows and the markets dry up even US V8's will become a thing of the past. There will be no ICE cars sold in Europe after 2030 (this is legally binding) and most European car makers have stopped ICE development for the long term. If Ford are to survive as a car maker then every penny they have will have to go on EV development. The Japanese, Koreans and even Chinese are already ahead of Ford and selling EV's and PHEV's already.

As regards performance cars - Aston Martin and Ferrari are dropping V12's, There will be no more Audi R8 V10's for much longer (and hence Lambo's) The market is too small and the penalties for selling such high CO2 vehicles too high.

The average CO2 value for all cars sold by a car maker in Europe from 2020 must be below 95g/km - believe me, that is very low for an average. The penalty for exceeding is €95 per vehicle per g/km over 95g/km average. How do you quickly achieve that - well in Ford's case you drop the Mustang and any other high CO2 vehicles. We have already lost the 2.0 Ecoboost engines from all Ford vehicles in Europe, as well as the more powerful diesels. We only have one PHEV Ford - the recently introduced Kuga (Escape) PHEV and no EV's

Make the most of what you have as it is all on borrowed time.
Sponsored